Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2020, 08:21   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Free TV licences for the over 75's

I never listen to the radio.(well except when we are in the car...it is forced upon my ears then)
I think that the BBC have politicised many programs....and they have downright spoiled many of them by trying to make them cutting edge....Dickens would be spinning in his grave st what they did to A Christmas Carol.
Jen, the Beeb have got used to having this huge pot of money to splash about....they have never really had to budget.
How are the folk like the irritating Gary Lineker worth the salaries that they are paid....and the Beeb encourage these folk to avoid paying tax on their wages.
No, get rid of the licence make them look at other ways of funding...subscription, commercial sponsors.....or just making programs to sell to other channels.
Maybe then they would behave differently.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2020, 09:47   #92
God Member

Top Gear. could find a group of 17 year old car thieves that could make a better programme just for a bit of banned substances they could use. think us millions of car users and thousands of petrol heads deserve something better than that.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 10:21   #93
Beacon of light

We pay a Sky subscription...but that is our choice(well, his actually)...but with the TV licence you are forced to pay it even if you do not use the service.
In fact I think it was in 2005/2006 that it was changed from a 'service charge' to a hypothecated tax.
Old 25-02-2020, 10:28   #94

When it was a national broadcaster then it may have been worth paying for but now it is a minority interests station it has become a pale shadow of it's former self and a one sided disgrace to democracy. Let market forces prevail and only those who want it should pay - fleecing money out of everyone to pay for propaganda that the luvvies inflict on us is an insult.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 10:45   #95
God Member

if you do not turn the gas on or switch the electric on you do not pay. why should the bbc be any different.
DaveinGermany likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 19:36   #96

Unfortunately the stifling of any critical comment against the set narrative isn't confined to the BBC. I made (what I thought was) a fairly innocuous comment on this article 'Workplaces must make room for Muslim women – starting with our toxic drinking culture' on MSN where I just mentioned how in reverse most Muslim countries do not change their culture for any incoming non-Muslim cultures only to be barred for 'Islamophobic' comment. Quite a few media outlets stifle any critical comment on such things as Islam or Greta the Goblin with valid critical posts deleted and posters barred for 'violating the posting protocol'.
Old 28-02-2020, 19:58   #97
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
'Islamophobic' comment. Quite a few media outlets stifle any critical comment on such things as Islam or Greta the Goblin with valid critical posts deleted and posters barred for 'violating the posting protocol'.

Welcome to the lefterist wankeratti dystopia, wear it like a badge of honour Jimmy lad, "Banned" just means they've got no argument & you're showing them up for the muppets they are.
Old 28-02-2020, 20:08   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Welcome to the lefterist wankeratti dystopia, wear it like a badge of honour Jimmy lad, "Banned" just means they've got no argument & you're showing them up for the muppets they are.
Thats exactly what it is Jimmy, stuff em.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 28-02-2020, 20:10   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

send me a pm of the site jimmy, i will go and get banned. By the way if its F.B. i have been banned 3/4 times for what i call innocuous comment.pmsl.
Old 28-02-2020, 21:48   #100
Beacon of light

There is no such thing as free speech.
We are not encouraged to think either...or to make critical comments about anything....We are all supposed to swallow the same pap and think the same thoughts.
You can see far more veiled women in blackburn than you can in Agadir...or many other cities where muslims live.
I wonder how many christian churches there are in Saudi.

The labelling of people who dissent from the politically correct norm is a fine exampleof how healthy debate is stifled.
I worked with all creeds and colours uring my working life and never had a problem...but the pernicious PC brigade have got a real good grip on things.

Jimmy I really like you description of St Greta of Thunberg...and she fits it like a glove.
Someday she may direct her attention to the countries who are creating what she sees as climate change...but for now, the UK is a soft target with lots and lots of gullible virtue signalling followers.
If we are lucky she might just get afflicted by the Covid 19....or is that not a politically correct view to hold?
We can liove in hope, even if we die in clayton
Old 29-02-2020, 17:02   #101
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Bit harsh that Ma! No, what young St Greta of Thunberg needs, like any normal teenage girl is an attack of pimples to occupy her thoughts, a group of giggly girly mates, a shared bottle or 2 of prosecco & a boyfriend.

That'd put her right eventually.
Old 29-02-2020, 18:15   #102
Beacon of light

No Son....pimples are far too mundane for a child like her...it has to be something of monumental proportions....so even a good dose of Covid 19 probably would be too mild for her.

At least this virus has showed who does most polluting....satellite pictures over china show that the pollution has dropped significantly.

This is where this child should be doing her pontificating....except she knows that they would not put up with her disruption over there.

On a serious note....and if you believe in the myth that is climate change, a major contributory factor is over population.....so if the virus sees some of us shuffled off, then Mother Nature will be seen to be redressing the balance a little.

And for those of you out there who tell me these floods are a symptom of climate change...I will tell you...nothing of the sort.
The floods are due to EU meddling that meant the rivermen could no longer get rid of silt from river beds and water courses....well that, and the fact that houses have been allowed to be built on known flood plains...lunacy rather than climate change.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:00   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
send me a pm of the site jimmy, i will go and get banned. By the way if its F.B. i have been banned 3/4 times for what i call innocuous comment.pmsl.
It was this article on the MSN News site which was from the Independent

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/finance/ca...re/ar-BB10u7l2
Old 01-03-2020, 07:06   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You can see far more veiled women in blackburn than you can in Agadir...or many other cities where muslims live.
I wonder how many christian churches there are in Saudi.
… or as we have a 'drinking culture' how many pubs ?

I'd ban mosques here until Muslim countries allow pubs.
They're part of my culture and they don't allow it while expecting us to kow-tow to their medieval backward garbage
Old 01-03-2020, 07:11   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Jimmy I really like you description of St Greta of Thunberg...and she fits it like a glove.
Someday she may direct her attention to the countries who are creating what she sees as climate change...but for now, the UK is a soft target with lots and lots of gullible virtue signalling followers.
I would like to make a banner to display at her next 'gathering'

Greta Goblin är ett bedrägeri

Her zombie followers wouldn't understand it and would probably think it is some climate related comment

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..