Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2008, 16:27   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Fuel prices Petition Please Sign

Oh dear.....
Old 31-05-2008, 16:28   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i'll give ya an answer T- they should cut WORLD AID, lets get our own house in order.
Aye, well I agree with that one. Put an axe to the Department of Overseas Development and we would save billions. How the hell we can justify giving India a billion a year when that country has more millionaires than we have and is busy buying up British companies such as Landrover, Jag, Corus and even Tetley tea I simply do not know.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 31-05-2008 at 16:30.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 16:30   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Tax businesses more,get more people off benefits and into work,cut immigration and perhaps contreversially legalise cannibis.
Yo! That's what I call a manifesto!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 17:30   #34
God Member

What is an "acceptable level" ... I'm paying $1.20 a litre, and I think that's way too much. The problem as I see it is not so much that the govt and the major oil companies are at fault, unless they can be faulted for cashing in on our stupidity, it is us who are to blame. No one forces us to buy SUVs and other gas guzzlers. We have wasted the oil and other natural resources, and now we want someone to rescue us from the consequences.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 17:41   #35
God Member

I hate to be an annoyance, but if fuel prices go down then I think road tax should rise, or the price of cars in the first place.

Why should fuel be cheap? We have carbon emission targets to meet, and high costs of things like fuel should be making people think twice about using their cars for short journeys that could be done on foot or public transport.

They wont lower them, and rightly so.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 17:46   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Aye, well I agree with that one. Put an axe to the Department of Overseas Development and we would save billions. How the hell we can justify giving India a billion a year when that country has more millionaires than we have and is busy buying up British companies such as Landrover, Jag, Corus and even Tetley tea I simply do not know.
From today...Virgin Radio also:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7429193.stm

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 18:27   #37
God Member

Signed..........................
Old 31-05-2008, 18:29   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I hate to be an annoyance,
who are ya trying to kid?
Old 31-05-2008, 18:33   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
who are ya trying to kid?
Know what you mean Cashy............Thought I was dreaming.
N ever see a Barrister on a bike?.........

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:00   #40
God Member

[quote=blazey;584950Why should fuel be cheap? We have carbon emission targets to meet,.[/quote]

personaly like millions of others i couldnt give a toss about carbon target especialy when its costing me money

why should the carbon problem be made our problem especialy in the case of cars

we dont design them to run on petrol etc the car companies do and im pretty damn sure a car could run on other fuels like alchol but the petrol companies have govenments in their pockets so why should the govenment end the grip of the oil barons especialy with all the money they get from them in taxes on fuel etc

im pretty sure BP bought the copyright of 2 engines that could run on alternatives to fossil fuels but why should they allow them to be used when they are making so much of petrol etc

the govenment has us all running round pointing fingers at each other and fighting amongst ourselves as to who is to blame and its all the govenments fault in the first place and its up to them not us to sort it out because teh govenment has the power to kick buisnesses up the backside not us
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:06   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
personaly like millions of others i couldnt give a toss about carbon target especialy when its costing me money

we dont design them to run on petrol etc the car companies do and im pretty damn sure a car could run on other fuels like alchol but the petrol companies have govenments in their pockets so why should the govenment end the grip of the oil barons especialy with all the money they get from them in taxes on fuel etc

im pretty sure BP bought the copyright of 2 engines that could run on alternatives to fossil fuels but why should they allow them to be used when they are making so much of petrol etc

the govenment has us all running round pointing fingers at each other and fighting amongst ourselves as to who is to blame and its all the govenments fault in the first place and its up to them not us to sort it out because teh govenment has the power to kick buisnesses up the backside not us
It isn't just businesses to blame for carbon emissions, and everyone should take some responsibility for it. Unfortunately, people still insist on driving their cars everywhere when it isn't even always necessary.

My reasoning for agreeing with this isn't for politics, or to take the blame off businesses, it is simply for everyone to do what they can to reduce their carbon footprint, and if rising prices makes people think twice about using their cars then so be it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:12   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

BIOFUEL

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:17   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
BIOFUEL

AHHHHHHH no no no Biofuel is not the answer just yet., i`ve been signing these petitions for months but the price of fuel still keeps going up and up............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:24   #44
God Member

Come n buy that heep of hell in Grangemouth there is plenty of go go juice there. On a serious note though even I as a non driver can see the pain fuel costs is causing and all down to money grabbing so n so's. As for bio fuel the ammount of land clearence needed has a negative effect. Large lumps of rainforest in S America has vanished to provide it. A tad little bit of common sense around cars journies etc would reduce the cost and wallet/purse damage over a year. As a nation we are wedded to cars and cant live without em.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:24   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
AHHHHHHH no no no Biofuel is not the answer just yet., i`ve been signing these petitions for months but the price of fuel still keeps going up and up............
BUT!! at the moment, yes it is the answer. It is a hell of a lot cheaper to fill up with Bio, than it is diesel and Petrol. And if we are talking about carbon foot print, then this is gonna be the way to.

But you just watch, as soon as everyone clicks on, the government will be taxing through the nose for this too!! and why?? yes, they will say we are running out of that as well........If we ran our cars on smarties they would find a way of taxing us through the nose, and still come up with an half witted idea of why they HAVE TO DO IT... The mind boggles.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..