Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 21:39   #136
Common Sense Member

Re: Full Council - 1st & 9th March

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It shows a good man who apologies when he is wrong, maybe the use of the word "allegedly", may have avoided that, or the start of any sentence where your not 100% sure of your facts could srart "is it true" nobody can be pulled up for asking a question Ken
Thank you, John. It was a stupid error but worth it to learn a valuable lesson.

Cllr Britcliffe appeared to followed suit by threatening legal action to the opposition last night on various points. I can't say I condone such tactics over something and nothing and it would take something fairly major to incense me in such a way but I suppose that's the difference between us.

For myself, the greatest shock last night was the accusation that by submitting a motion to cancel buffets we were actually trying to increase our own allowances by the back door, a truly amazing piece of spin which I congratulated the Leader on at the time. The defence against cancelling council buffets was that it was far cheaper than claiming meal allowances, to my mind completely missing the whole point of what I was trying to say.

This came shortly before a question regarding the £17,500 mentioned last week in the Conservative budget which turned out to be payments of £500 per councillor to spend on whatever they saw fit in their ward. Despite repeated statements from Conservatives that the previous Labour government spent more than it should we get this behaviour from the local controlling group at a time when we should be making as many painless cuts as possible to save money.

Being an opposition councillor is tantamount to political impotence in many matters and why I very strongly hope that control of the council shifts to Labour in May. The increase in the workload will probably be even more than I imagine but if it means that we get to stop spending money that the borough cannot afford then I welcome the challenge.

I implore the residents to look beyond a flurry of handouts when casting their vote this May.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2011, 21:43   #137
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
why risk damage to your tv when you have a perfectly good HBC callendar to throw darts at?

or have you already worn it out ?
I thought you only got one if you lived in a particular kingdom of the borough ?
Old 10-03-2011, 21:47   #138
God Member

What happened regarding the allowance rise ?
Old 10-03-2011, 21:57   #139
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
What happened regarding the allowance rise ?
It would seem that it is still going ahead. The Leader of the Council intimated that any councillor could reduce their allowances in private without making it public.

For the record, every member of the Labour group has signed a statement to say that they will not be taking the 3.6% increase next year. I personally will happily do what I feel is right and keep myself publicly accountable, regardless of whether it is regarded as 'gesture politics' or 'tokenism' by the Conservative group, labels which seem to have replaced 'good news' as new buzz words.

The public put me where I am, they deserve to know what is happening with their money.

Old 10-03-2011, 22:01   #140
Give, give, give member

Was it mentioned that there might be a conflict of interest, with the butties and buffets coming from a firm closely associated with someone who's now a councillor?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 22:18   #141
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Was it mentioned that there might be a conflict of interest, with the butties and buffets coming from a firm closely associated with someone who's now a councillor?
Cllr Hurn and Cllr Pam Barton left the chamber through a personal and prejudicial interest in the matter. The situation with buffets does not sit well with me for various reasons, plus it is what I consider to be a non-essential item of council spending. I'm sure someone will bring up Daltons but printing council literature is a little bit more important than feeding the councillors in my opinion.

It would appear that at least 17 members of the council are averse to either making their own lunch or paying for it themselves based on last night's vote. In order to have lost that motion at least one of the Independent councillors would seem to have voted against it as I don't recall any abstentions.

That surprises me most of all as they accused Labour of not cutting back far enough in our budget.

Old 11-03-2011, 00:20   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It would seem that it is still going ahead. The Leader of the Council intimated that any councillor could reduce their allowances in private without making it public.

For the record, every member of the Labour group has signed a statement to say that they will not be taking the 3.6% increase next year. I personally will happily do what I feel is right and keep myself publicly accountable, regardless of whether it is regarded as 'gesture politics' or 'tokenism' by the Conservative group, labels which seem to have replaced 'good news' as new buzz words.

The public put me where I am, they deserve to know what is happening with their money.
As well as not taking any increase from 1 April I have reduced my allowances by 7.5% from the 1 March. I know we have been instructed not to make any 'token' gestures and to reduce our allowances in private, but I am not prepared to be dictated too by the leader of another party.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:09   #143
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
.... I know we have been instructed not to make any 'token' gestures and to reduce our allowances in private, but I am not prepared to be dictated too by the leader of another party.
You can't do it in private as anyone could FOI it anyway
Old 11-03-2011, 04:33   #144
Senior Member+

Quote:
This came shortly before a question regarding the £17,500 mentioned last week in the Conservative budget which turned out to be payments of £500 per councillor to spend on whatever they saw fit in their ward.
A sort of Re-Election Fund?

Now that DOES sound dodgy.

And very, very illegal.

There is that word again!

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53   #145
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
A sort of Re-Election Fund?

Now that DOES sound dodgy.

And very, very illegal.

There is that word again!

So long as its not spent on electioneering and is available to all councillors can't see the problem gynn, bur even so you ain't going to buy to many votes with 500 quid are you
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11   #146

Quote:
So long as its not spent on electioneering and is available to all councillors can't see the problem gynn, bur even so you ain't going to buy to many votes with 500 quid are you
Maybe not, but it would cover a large slice, if not all, of the leaflet and poster printing costs.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:26   #147
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
Maybe not, but it would cover a large slice, if not all, of the leaflet and poster printing costs.
Any money spent has to be accounted for, and I think you'll find it has to be spent on community projects.

Last edited by Neil; 11-03-2011 at 14:49.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03   #148
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Any money spent has to be accounted for, and I think you'll find it has to be spent on community projects
Unfortunately, the Conservative Leader's Budget spreadsheet indicates much spending which has little or no connection to community projects.

£120.91 on newspapers?

£100.00 on a buffet for a group meeting?

£35.00 on pie and peas for a group meeting?

£77.60 on drinks and decorations for the Leader's office?

£59.50 on a camera?

I understand from discussions I have had with senior executives at Scaitcliffe House that the £17,500 discussed is to be counted within next year's Leader's Budgets.

Last edited by Neil; 11-03-2011 at 14:50.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:04   #149
Senior Member+

Quote:
No you aren't, but its 500 quid more than the other candidates (of all parties) are getting. That creates an uneven playing field in each ward.

Which is illegal.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22   #150
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Conservative Leader's Budget spreadsheet indicates much spending which has little or no connection to community projects.

£120.91 on newspapers?

£100.00 on a buffet for a group meeting?

£35.00 on pie and peas for a group meeting?

£77.60 on drinks and decorations for the Leader's office?

£59.50 on a camera?

I understand from discussions I have had with senior executives at Scaitcliffe House that the £17,500 discussed is to be counted within next year's Leader's Budgets.
Quite obviously Being a right thinking person I can't condone that spending Ken, in any way shape or form, my comments were made about the £17,500 which cannot be spent on election leaflets that's all

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..