Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10   #1
Common Sense Member

Full Council - 1st & 9th March

For those who don't know, last night saw the annual budget meeting where the political groups put forward figures to balance the council's books and next week will see the last meeting of the full council before elections. For the HBC staff paid to read this forum on the Leader's behalf, read on and report back just what the good people of this borough feel about Conservative policies.

As has already been posted on another thread, Cllr Dobson last night confirmed that the closure of Peel Street toilets was nothing to do with saving money but a drive to get people into the Market Hall. Personally speaking, I can't see that going down too well with the public at large, especially as Cllr Haworth is only 'considering' opening them for the royal wedding celebrations whilst planning to fill the town centre with revellers. Perhaps they should read some of the reviews out there of their 'state of the art' toilet facilities.

The Labour amendments were rejected outright, with Cllr Britcliffe demonstrating just how out of touch he is with the will of the people by fully defending his own salary and stating that residents know he works hard for his ward of St Andrews. The other 15 wards didn't seem to come into it in that particular speech and he hit back by stating that if councillors were so worried about his expenses they should set an example by foregoing their own to save money. He rounded off the argument by stating that 'only £25,000 comes from HBC', the rest is from LCC and expense claims, and then laying into Graham Jones for a good five minutes, a man who wasn't even in the council chamber and hasn't been for 10 months.

To put his comments about foregoing allowances in perspective, I get an allowance which works out at £9 daily (which is taxed) and put in a minimum of 2-3 hrs every single day including weekends. Cllr Britcliffe gets nearly £118 every single day of the year and claims for meals, travel and even his daily newspapers, plus has a warm office and a dedicated press officer to publicise his 'good news'. I have none of that plus I have three other jobs out in the real world and a mortgaged terraced house, a lifestyle which differs wildly from the retired Tory councillors and one would assume that claiming £280 per month is my own fault for being too poor.

The Labour amendments to the budget were described as 'Scrooge-like' and 'gesture politics', understandable when it outlined reductions of over £36,000 in members' allowances plus another £54,000 of the council Leader's personal expenditure. Savings at Christmas were attacked, despite cuts also appearing in the Conservative proposals and 'token gestures' on allowances were further criticised by stating that they are reviewed annually by an independent panel. Odd then that Bernard Dawson was able to stand up and quite correctly point out that larger East Lancashire authorities pay lower sums than HBC does.

The biggest hypocrisy of the evening came by handing out £295,000 from reserves after shouting down Cllr Dave Mason of Great Harwood for saying that the Conservatives had plundered the reserve fund. £37,500 of votewinning cheques are now to be handed out prior to the elections, much of which had already been allocated to the Conservative councillors up for re-election. I questioned Cllr Britcliffe as to why this money could not have been handed out at the start of electoral year rather than just before polling day and got the usual response that I didn't understand how reserves work but one particular question went unanswered and I think it's worth pursuing. £17,500 is to be taken from reserves for an 'additional (revenue) contribution to the democratic process', but the Leader dodged the question of what this actually meant.

Both Labour and Independent parties outlined proposals to fully balance the budget and put money back into reserves but were left wondering how a Conservative budget which is already £240,000 short of the required savings laid down by the government could justify an extra £55,000 coming out of the piggy bank.

The Hyndburn Conservatives have completely lost touch with what cutbacks mean to real people so I would urge you all to spread the word and spare the borough another year of using public money to try and buy popularity.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Full Council - 1st & 9th March

Sounds as though the black hole of the 600k "magic income" is still there.

Watch that one. It will come back and haunt you during the year, especially if Labour gain power. The shortfall will be seen as your fault!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32   #3

just a quick question councillor Moss if you objected to the conservative budget proposals why did'nt you vote against it? instead of Abstaining maybe the people of this forum may like to know that answer
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43   #4
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Sounds as though the black hole of the 600k "magic income" is still there.

Watch that one. It will come back and haunt you during the year, especially if Labour gain power. The shortfall will be seen as your fault!
Fortunately we're all fully aware of where it will be said the blame lies, whoever takes control in May. The best course of action is to knuckle down and just get on with sorting it all out and it's something I look forward to being part of should control shift to Labour.

We currently have a council Leader who is desperate to cling on to power and will hand out everything we have in order to do that, not my idea of being careful with Hyndburn's finances and blatant electioneering with public money.

Every penny he hands out has come from us, our taxes are being used by Cllr Britcliffe to try and get councillors that you wouldn't necessarily vote for get elected.

Look to your own wards, see how much has been spent in recent years and see how much gets promised in the next month then question why it is happening and further question why it hasn't happened before.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:50   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
just a quick question councillor Moss if you objected to the conservative budget proposals why did'nt you vote against it? instead of Abstaining maybe the people of this forum may like to know that answer

Funny how you come on here to ask how a councillor votes yet have avoided all the main issues discussed recently
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54   #6
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
Simple, I didn't disagree with the entire budget. It isn't in Hyndburn's best interests to vote against a 0% tax rise and to vote against would have been to object to that.

By and large I don't agree with abstaining but the Conservative proposals were going to be accepted last night come what may and debates in full council are something of a formality rather than borough-changing events. What concerns me is the large proportion of what was being proposed last night is imaginary money and not conducive to a balanced budget.

£30,000 more generated from pest control? How do you work that out?

Over £400,000 from planning fees? How can you be so sure that the same amount of people will continue to apply for planning permission now that you have levied a £35 charge just for the administration?

Where does the extra tax revenue come from in 2013 and 2014 without raising council tax?

And can you explain this mystery £17,500 to me?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:54   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Funny how you come on here to ask how a councillor votes yet have avoided all the main issues discussed recently
What do yeh expect Dave,avoids what really concerns folk, aint the guts to address em.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What do yeh expect Dave,avoids what really concerns folk, aint the guts to address em.

Probably didn't have permission from higher up to speak
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Probably didn't have permission from higher up to speak
oh i agree, but not having the guts is more to the point.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09   #10
God Member

Looks like Whittaker is just one of Uncle Festers puppets, just pull my string, pay me and watch me go.....wonder how much he's been paid??????
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12   #11
God Member

Come to think of it.....being a puppet is just like being a prostitute, isn't prostitution illegal in Hyndburn???? I wonder if he pays tax on what Fester pays him???
Old 02-03-2011, 09:15   #12
Beacon of light

Whittaker, I think what the electorate need is transparency and honesty.
To close a town centre public convenience just to get more folk into the Market Hall is dishonest......why can't the people that think up these ludicrous ideas stand up and admit that the Market Hall is an almighty flop......instead of trying to manipulate the public, and in the process, inconvenience them(no pun intended)........And coming on here at this late stage to try and discredit Ken Moss is not in your best interests, does you no favours at all.

While Ken has been on this forum he has(to my knowledge...and unless you can prove anything different) been open and honest about what is going on in respect of council daily doings.........much more than any other elected representative who posts on here(perhaps with the exception of G.Jones).

Well done Ken, keep up the good work in keeping us, the voting public, informed.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28   #13
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Looks like Whittaker is just one of Uncle Festers puppets, just pull my string, pay me and watch me go.....wonder how much he's been paid??????
£100,000 for Huncoat plus quite a few votewinning cheques of between £50 and £500 to hand out.

Myself and Harry Grayson in Rishton have been offered.....well, let's just say it's the roundest of all figures.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:49   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
For the HBC staff paid to read this forum on the Leader's behalf, read on and report back just what the good people of this borough feel about Conservative policies.
Could the F.O.I. thing be used to find out how many and how much it costs to provide us with this service?

Or is there some form of unwritten rule?

Yes you may eat the crumbs remaining from the top table so long as you do so at your desk and report back to me about Kenweb.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Myself and Harry Grayson in Rishton have been offered.....well, let's just say it's the roundest of all figures.

I presume it's 0, I do hope it's not 00 or that would be greedy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..