Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2016, 14:08   #16

Re: Funeral Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
My fathers funeral cost less than £100. He asked me about 5 or 6 years before he died to make him a coffin, asked what kind, he said get some chip board an knock a simple box together ids gonna get burnt anyway. I made hin his box out of mahaogany faced chipboard. it stood in our front room for all that time after, every so of he would stand in it and say thad'l do. When he died in that place across from Accy Vic, got the death cert, went to cem, filled in all the paper work got a date & time of day, hired a white van, went tut crem at Accy Vic, managed wi a struggle tio get him int box, nailed the lid down and drove to crem, put him on the trolly wheeled him inside, and there was a god botherer stood at the lecturn wit back ground music playin, Ignored the lot and pushed fayther ontut conveuor belt, and was puttin the trolley away when mother, sisters, and an aunty came intut foyer, she geet angry an played ell because I hadn't told her, I towd her tu shud up, Im doing what he asked, an youv'e hated fayther for years, and if I had followed his wishes to the letter he would be sliding down tip up Whinney Hill, All the time the god botherer is stood there gob smacked, he didnd know what to do, I just climbed int van and took id back to firm an geet my deposit returned
I take my hat off to you and your father got his wishes which is what really counts. A paramedic pal of mine mentioned to me some years ago you could do a DIY job and it seems you did just that so long as you have death certificate.
Old 28-10-2016, 14:19   #17
God Member

This is getting too morbid. Time to lighten it up folks;

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 14:23   #18
Beacon of light

I think I might have that played at my funeral Eric
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 14:28   #19
God Member

Or maybe get planted on Ilkley moor baht'at
Old 28-10-2016, 14:30   #20
Beacon of light

Hell no Eric....I'm not defecting to Yorkshire.
Dying will be bad enough, buy dying and being ferried and buried in Yorkshire is just too, too much.
Eric likes this.
Old 28-10-2016, 14:45   #21
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Hell no Eric....I'm not defecting to
Yorkshire.
Ah, but if you change your religion on your deathbed (and become a Yorkshireist) then that'd mean one less Yorkingshireist! Not all bad eh?
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 28-10-2016, 14:53   #22
Beacon of light

I don't want to be consigned for eternity in the afterlife as a yorkshire pudden.
Old 28-10-2016, 14:57   #23
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't want to be consigned for eternity in the afterlife as a yorkshire pudden.
But in your will there'd be a clause to reclaim Lankyness.
Old 28-10-2016, 15:18   #24
Beacon of light

I didn't know you could do that!
Old 28-10-2016, 15:34   #25
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

In my little world, the possibilities are endless!
Old 28-10-2016, 18:23   #26
Full Member+

My original point was that the cost relatively has not change since the early 1900's. I certainly agree with Margaret that today's 'poor' are not poor like folk in the 20s 30s and 40s. and they do not seem to be able to do without what they cannot afford.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 19:03   #27
Senior Member+

An old guy who I used to drink with in Read Con willed his body to research. When he died nobody had to pay a penny. No funeral or cremation. They just carted his body away.
Eric likes this.
Old 28-10-2016, 19:57   #28
Beacon of light

That is what my Ma is doing.
She doesn't want a grave or a gathering,or any kind of funeral....she just wants it all to be uncomplicated. After all she is a 'no fuss' sort of lady.
Old 28-10-2016, 20:06   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
My original point was that the cost relatively has not change since the early 1900's.
You are probably right ... Back in the 40s in Saskatchewan, when combines were replacing binders, stooking, and thresher crews, a brand new combine cost about as much as a quarter section. When I was farming out there in the 70s, a brand new combine cost about as much as a quarter section. Probably still the same today.

Feel free to google "binder," "stooking," and "threshing crew."
Old 28-10-2016, 20:11   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
An old guy who I used to drink with in Read Con willed his body to research. When he died nobody had to pay a penny. No funeral or cremation. They just carted his body away.
Over here, that's kinda simple. Every time you renew your Ontario drivers licence, you can check off the boxes for what part of your body you wish to donate ... including, of course, all of it. I went for the whole damned thing, apart from my liver, which is going to The Smithsonian.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..