Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 23:39   #61
God Member

Re: Funerals

Through work I rehoused and supported a lovely man who had terminal throat cancer... for his funeral he had chosen "Always look on the bright side of life" from the Life of Brian... certainly made a few people smile at his funeral...and I even chuckled at the vicar cringeing when it got to the swearing in it

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2008, 23:51   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Through work I rehoused and supported a lovely man who had terminal throat cancer... for his funeral he had chosen "Always look on the bright side of life" from the Life of Brian... certainly made a few people smile at his funeral...and I even chuckled at the vicar cringeing when it got to the swearing in it
Surprised he allowed it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
That's one of my Dad's that he's chosen.
He certainly won't be bothered about offending a priest or vicar - he's made his views on religion very well known within the family.

Because my Mum is a Catholic, in order to be allowed to get married in a church my Dad had to go through the training stuff. The first thing the Priest said, was 'so, we'll start with the basic assumption that you believe in God', my Dad replied, 'I wouldn't start there if I were you'. I think the Priest just gave up hope and let them get on with getting married.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23   #64
Super Moderator

I Like My Baby's Pudding - Wynonie Harris
Keep On Churning Til The Butter Comes - Wynonie Harris
I Want My Fanny Brown - Wynonie Harris
(and if the vicar or whoever says any of these "aren't appropriate for the occasion" he can go take a running jump).

A bevy of mysteriously beautiful women who nobody's ever seen before weeping softly at the back of the room.
(I'll probably have to hire these in advance, but I just like the thought of people nudging each other and saying "he was a dark horse, wasn't he?").

A sausage roll-themed buffet at Lilly Mae's.

Ashes scattered on the Clayton End.

Sorted.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23   #65
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't care what they play....I will be playing what I want, somewhere far far away.
Couldn't find the exact title perhaps this is the one you meant Margaret?

Far, Far Away - Slade

The words do seem appropriate!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45   #66
Beacon of light

Yes Less, the words are appropriate...but I was never a great fan of Slade...far to rambunctious.......Somewhere far far way, wasn't the name of a song...it was where I will be......but then I have a sneaking suspicion that you already knew that......you rascal
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:00   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well I have been to a funeral today - very sad as it was a young woman.
Was it Tricia's funeral you were at Gayle??

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13   #68
God Member

A funeral's purpose is to help the bereaved overcome grief.

The deceased don't care whether it happens or not.
This was brought home to me when my dad's spirit contacted me the night before his funeral, and his closing comment was 'Enjoy the day. I won't be there as I have better things to do'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A funeral's purpose is to help the bereaved overcome grief.

The deceased don't care whether it happens or not.
This was brought home to me when my dad's spirit contacted me the night before his funeral, and his closing comment was 'Enjoy the day. I won't be there as I have better things to do'
Suppose thats true but my mischievous side would want to make sure that though a somber grief laden moment that I could have em laughing.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21   #70
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

All the modern technology we have, video's of Weddings, Christenings etc. but I don't suppose we'll ever hear anyone say, "Shall we watch Grandad's funeral again?",
After all in it's own way it is supposed to be celebrating someone's past life as well as mourning their death. Perhaps it would, in some circumstances even help?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:27   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
All the modern technology we have, video's of Weddings, Christenings etc. but I don't suppose we'll ever hear anyone say, "Shall we watch Grandad's funeral again?",
After all in it's own way it is supposed to be celebrating someone's past life as well as mourning their death. Perhaps it would, in some circumstances even help?
What a good point and am sure it would help many people!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:51   #72

I was at my sister's funeral yesterday and people was taking pictures! pictures for crying out loud. It did my head in. Sister in law even took pics of all the flippin' flowers, and her hubby, my brother, said he had a special box at home were he would keep all the sympathy cards n stuff. Is it me or does this sound wierd? I through all mine out today for recycling, (do you think I did that too soon?) because at the end of the day I will allways know that my sister is now gone, I will allways remember all the good(and bad) times we had together. I need no evidence of her life, it's all in my heart. I have lots of pics of her when we were together and lots of funny vids too. I also have her hubby and 2 sons to laugh with (or cry if needs be).
I just don't understand WHY people would want pics and stuff like that!!

For the wake we did as she wanted which was to celebrate her life, she diddn't even want people to come in drab dark clothes.

Gail xxxx

Old 09-07-2008, 10:54   #73
God Member

All my cards are here and I will keep them, I like reading all the lovely comments people wrote about Ianto. At the end of the day it is how you feel about things, we all have memories to make us laugh and cry. As for photos took some to send to his sister in Australia.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:06   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
As for photos took some to send to his sister in Australia.
I can understand that hun, for people who can't make it, it must be hard. My dad couldn't make it as he was away, but he sent flowers and gave his sympathies before he left.
My brother just wanted pics to keep of the day, (wierd).

Old 09-07-2008, 11:11   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'erindoors View Post
Was it Tricia's funeral you were at Gayle??
No, she was called Cheryl.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..