Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2005, 20:45   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Geldof - Stick your Live 8 up your *!##+^ '~£

is this the christians of accrington web site per chance?
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2005, 23:18   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

people have choices-wether or not to support causes,but cant agree with knocking em,
Old 01-06-2005, 08:57   #18
Senior Member+

You can be sure that any money sent over there will be used for the benefit of the corrupt governments, and not for the people for whom it was intended.

That's why I only donate to domestic charities, like British Heart Foundation and Leukaemia Research.

And not forgetting the Save the Vorlon Fund!

Last edited by vorlon24; 01-06-2005 at 09:51. Reason: can't spell Leukaemia!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:39   #19
Give, give, give member

As somwone who went to the original concert in 1985, l'm pleased and glad if any of the monies raised went to help feed people and children who were starving to death.

It maybe corrupt politicans to blame, as well as drought but this is not a tax. If you don't want to support it don't, you have a choice.

Reading this thread without knowing 'some' of it is tongue in cheek, would make me wonder if it had racist undertones.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:19   #20
Apprentice Geriatric

Thumbs down Re: Geldof - Stick your Live 8 up your *!##+^ '~£

For many years celebrities have organised various functions to raise money for this that and the other. But I wonder just how much those celebrities contribute in real hard cash?

The only people who actually dip into their pockets are the general public.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:52   #21
I am Banned

i dont think it to be racist to look after your own before taking care of foreighners

we have people of all colours and faiths in england that are born here who need health care just as much as people abroad

i would have no problem helping other countries if our own nation was in a position where people wernt waiting upto 2 years to get a dentist , babies on long waiting lists for life saving operations , elderly people unable to afford the most basic things like heat in the winter , and many other things wrong with this countries health service and treatment of the poor

yes we have charities to help these people but they get no where near as much attention as third world countries like africa so they make a lot less money

i wonder how many hospitals , dentists and health clinics all that money poured into africa could have funded instead of been wasted on people who dont seem to want to help themselves but would rather sit and wait for the next hand out

of course i feel sorry for them but at the end of the day there is only so much help you can give somone

Last edited by chav1; 01-06-2005 at 11:53.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 15:53   #22
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have no objection to forking out for charity. Like Vorlon I also tend to stick to domestic charities British heart Foundation and Terrance Higgins Trust being 2 of my recent donations. If people want to help charities then the best way is to actually get off their bums and go and do some grafting for them, just as Mez does when she does the shopping for Age Concern. I think a donation of someone's time is far more valuable than cash. Before full time midwifery, I spent 3 days a week helping the elderly mentally ill by providing reminiscence therapy and helping them to eat their dinners (cutting up their food and physically feeding them).

If you donate your time, then you can be sure that it is well spent...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 16:40   #23
God Member

It just seems to get worse. Now I read that Geldof and some of his chums are actively encouraging school children to play hooky from school and join a "Million Man March" in Edinburgh.

Great. I can see it now. Legions of kids swarming up the M1/M6 with their little hitch-hikers'signs saying "Edinburgh"; it's an early Christmas for every paedophile in the land.

And what does our goverment do about this sorry state of affairs? Does it strip the Irish rogue of his "knighthood"; Does it condemn, without reservation, this active encouragement of lawbreaking?

It does no such thing. In fact, the government actively connives with the whole shady enterprise. The Royal Parks are to be made available (at taxpayers cost), the BBC is switching its saturday afternoon Wimbledon lesbian extravaganza to BBC2, and worse of all. Blair is flying out to Washington next week to get Big Dubbya actively involved in this sorry charade. Some Chance.

I think that weekend is an Accy web meet. Thank God for small mercies..

Last edited by Tealeaf; 01-06-2005 at 16:49.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 16:59   #24
Resting in peace

To be fair, Bob Geldof is a man who genuinely believes in what he does. Whether it helps in the long run is another matter, but at least he doesn't just sit back waiting for somebody else to do something. He's also willing to help others in lots of ways - all in all, he's not a bad bloke (and he's not that scruffy when you see him).
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 17:08   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
To be fair, Bob Geldof is a man who genuinely believes in what he does. ).
Yeah....making money. If him - and his mates - were really concerned about the poor then they would set an example and give some of their own away. Have we seen any evidence of that? None whatsoever.

Whether we like it or not, it is now official goverment policy to increase third-world aid to a level of .7% of GNP. It might not sound alot, but that translates to Seven Billion Pounds. That is seven billion pounds of absolute waste. Just think of what we could do with one hundreth of that in Accy.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 01-06-2005 at 17:12.
Old 01-06-2005, 18:30   #26
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
To be fair, Bob Geldof is a man who genuinely believes in what he does. Whether it helps in the long run is another matter, but at least he doesn't just sit back waiting for somebody else to do something. He's also willing to help others in lots of ways - all in all, he's not a bad bloke (and he's not that scruffy when you see him).
pendy let sir bob have davids cheque book for an hour, i am sure you wont mind but send me a blank one first for the beer at the next meet....lol
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:33   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
It might not sound alot, but that translates to Seven Billion Pounds. That is seven billion pounds of absolute waste.
I would not mind the country giving away that sort of money if we did not need it ourselves. Just think of the improvements to the NHS, education, police etc we could do with that amount of money. The local council's might even be able to keep the streets and parks clean as well.
Old 02-06-2005, 13:15   #28
God Member

It looks like the Scottish authorities have been reading the Accy Web:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....637465,00.html

I also see that Geldof is now trying to reclaim VAT, from the costs of setting up this charade. So what happened to being given free? Anyone else smell a rat?
Old 02-06-2005, 14:11   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Yeah....making money. If him - and his mates - were really concerned about the poor then they would set an example and give some of their own away. Have we seen any evidence of that? None whatsoever.
Got to agree with the above quote from Tealeaf. Paul McCartney is reputedly worth 1.1 billion pounds, that's £1,100,000,000. If he really cared about this issue as much as he claims to he could dip in his back sack and donate the odd £100,000,000 and not even miss it. This would save us the policing costs and Geldof wouldn't have to ask for VAT exemption and within 12 months he'd make it back in interest on his remaining billion.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 14:12   #30
Resting in peace

You must remember that £1.1 billion doesn't go as far as it used to .....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..