Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2010, 22:57   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I make tons of errors on Accyweb too.
They're mainly factual, and are easily corrected.

It's isn't too much of a chore.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2010, 23:08   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
any more outbursts like that and im gonna spoil my vote on the lib dems
Ok, DC love in over.

The Gay Times interview and a number of other issues have left me not so sure he is genuine. The kids in politics thing and the recent Cam the Sam pregnancy. The Punch and Judy politics when he said he was against Punch and Judy politics. The constant personal attacks on Gordon Brown (and Brown has stayed above it all in my view).

The endless dishwater platitudes. Nice to positive but the millionth time of no policy detail, just "look! we're going to things different" and "look! we're going to clean up politics", "look! we're going to clean up this mess". "look! we're going to do something about it". Dishwater.

I am beginning to think that Howard and Hague offered more in 2005 and 2001. Howard would not have blown out that Gay Times interview. It's looking more like 'Cam - what a Sham' (look! he's losing my support fast!).
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 23:12   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Ok, DC love in over.

The Gay Times interview and a number of other issues have left me not so sure he is genuine. The kids in politics thing and the recent Cam the Sam pregnancy. The Punch and Judy politics when he said he was against Punch and Judy politics. The constant personal attacks on Gordon Brown (and Brown has stayed above it all in my view).

The endless dishwater platitudes. Nice to positive but the millionth time of no policy detail, just "look! we're going to things different" and "look! we're going to clean up politics", "look! we're going to clean up this mess". "look! we're going to do something about it". Dishwater.

I am beginning to think that Howard and Hague offered more in 2005 and 2001. Howard would not have blown out that Gay Times interview. It's looking more like 'Cam - what a Sham' (look! he's losing my support fast!).
despise the man, reminds me of a very rich P.B.
Old 26-03-2010, 23:28   #34
God Member

Quote:
Ok, DC love in over.

Cameron is genuine..a genuine tory....I would not take any gaff's he makes as being any significance in the run up to the general election, because it will be put in the shade by the media.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 23:33   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

honestly think this election will be closer than some think, never oer till the fat lady sings.
Old 26-03-2010, 23:34   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The Gay Times interview and a number of other issues have left me not so sure he is genuine.
Even the good old, ever reliable and factual, Tory supporting, Daily Telegraph, reports just how badly the Conservative leadership looks, after the cringe making gaffes Cameron made, whilst courting the pink vote, amongst other things they've done recently.

'In the distraught corridors of Wisteria Mansions panic reigns. If “Get me Rumpole!” is the legal plea of last resort, the Cameronian equivalent is now “Send for Saatchi!” Dave, since his car-crash interview with Gay Times, is perceived as high-risk in the vicinity of a television camera; George has just demonstrated on the BBC’s Today programme that he should not be allowed near a radio studio. How to run a campaign with the leadership under wraps? Perhaps the election could be fought exclusively by BlackBerry'
Most Tories hate David Cameron and cannot wait to see him crash and burn – Telegraph Blogs

Old 27-03-2010, 08:01   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
any more outbursts like that and im gonna spoil my vote on the lib dems
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Even the good old, ever reliable and factual, Tory supporting, Daily Telegraph, reports just how badly the Conservative leadership looks, after the cringe making gaffes Cameron made, whilst courting the pink vote, amongst other things they've done recently.

'Dave, since his car-crash interview with Gay Times, is perceived as high-risk in the vicinity of a television camera; George has just demonstrated on the BBC’s Today programme that he should not be allowed near a radio studio.
Most Tories hate David Cameron and cannot wait to see him crash and burn – Telegraph Blogs
Whilst Labour backbenchers-come-formerMP's- get caught with their hands in the till (and Tories with free flights and expenses) most people are drilling down on their mortgages, jobs, schools, hospitals, communities.

And looking after that list is not the job of the awful Stephen Byers et al who are heading for disgraced retirement.

It's about the big decisions, the ones Prime Ministers make. The ones Prime Ministers have to make under sever pressure, day in day out. A thankless job.

The Gay Times car crash which must be the biggest prime-ministerial tv debacle in my lifetime and shows Cameron (and Osborn on Radio 4) simply are not up to running the country. It's a million miles from criticising to actually doing.

It isn't one gaffed interview, it's the worst of a sequence of gaffs. It's the falsehood of doing well whilst slating Labour. The reality of being totally inexperienced to run the country.

And Tory voters desperate to see Labour out loathe Cameron too. And where will that leave us if Labour were dispensed with?

A mess.

Last edited by g jones; 27-03-2010 at 08:05.
Old 27-03-2010, 08:11   #38
Give, give, give member

They might not have the skills and experience, to organise a p, p, p,....., er 'party' in a brewery.

But I'm sure they could ask Pappa to supply some nice champagne.

Though it's highly likey 99.9% of us won't be asked to partake ourselves.

It would be kept quite 'exclusive'.

Last edited by garinda; 27-03-2010 at 08:13.
Old 27-03-2010, 08:52   #39
Super Moderator

Cameron's now being shown up for what he is...a very mediocre Blair wannabe. However, unlike the Dear Leader who was a dab hand with the old smoke and mirrors routine, Cameron just can't carry off the deception and ends up floundering on the shores of public opinion.

However, there is such an instinctive feeling of dislike towards Brown and humourless, PC-obsessed haridans like Harman that the boy David might just scrape through anyway.

I might just put my money on a minority Tory administration this time around (closely followed by another election).
Old 27-03-2010, 08:56   #40
God Member

Quote:

And Tory voters desperate to see Labour out loathe Cameron too. And where will that leave us if Labour were dispensed with?

A mess.
We're already in a mess. Largely of Gordon Brown's making. Labour have spent, spent, spent over the last decade, with no thought about the future. I don't trust them to reduce the deficit, since they're the ones that have built it up. If we don't reduce the deficit quickly, and Labour plan to do nothing in the first year, we'll see rising interest rates which will hit mortgage owners hard.

Brown is balancing the budget on the backs of working people.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:05   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cameron's now being shown up for what he is...a very mediocre Blair wannabe. However, unlike the Dear Leader who was a dab hand with the old smoke and mirrors routine, Cameron just can't carry off the deception and ends up floundering on the shores of public opinion.

However, there is such an instinctive feeling of dislike towards Brown and humourless, PC-obsessed haridans like Harman that the boy David might just scrape through anyway.

I might just put my money on a minority Tory administration this time around (closely followed by another election).
You wont get any better odds than 5/4 Hung Parliament at the moment Mr H. And that's with Labour as the largest party.

Last edited by Bernard Dawson; 27-03-2010 at 09:07.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 09:08   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

It should have been, and at one time looked like, a dead cert.

A walk in the park.

Which doesn't reflect well on the publics' perceived abilities of the opposition.

Old 27-03-2010, 09:10   #43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You wont get any better odds than 5/4 Hung Parliament at the moment Mr H.And that's with Labour as the biggest party.
Yep, not worth a flutter really, Bernard. Outright Labour victory's coming up at 13/2...hmmm, might be worth a trip down the bookies today...especially if the boy David makes a few more gaffes in the coming weeks.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:14   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
We're already in a mess. Largely of Gordon Brown's making. Labour have spent, spent, spent over the last decade, with no thought about the future. I don't trust them to reduce the deficit, since they're the ones that have built it up. If we don't reduce the deficit quickly, and Labour plan to do nothing in the first year, we'll see rising interest rates which will hit mortgage owners hard.

Brown is balancing the budget on the backs of working people.
And the 50p tax rate and 5% stamp duty on mansions? Didn;t you aregue that all Labour want's to do is penalise the successful?

Your argument would have merit if Germany's and Japans economy hadn't had deeper recessions, if unemployment was higher in the EuroZone and USA.

It would also be an acceptable argument if Britain wasn't so reliant on financial services or that every other country has adopted Gordon Brown's solution.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:46   #45
God Member

Quote:
And the 50p tax rate and 5% stamp duty on mansions? Didn;t you aregue that all Labour want's to do is penalise the successful?

Your argument would have merit if Germany's and Japans economy hadn't had deeper recessions, if unemployment was higher in the EuroZone and USA.

It would also be an acceptable argument if Britain wasn't so reliant on financial services or that every other country has adopted Gordon Brown's solution.
The 50p tax rate will send people out of the country. Better to tax them on something, and have their wealth generating skills in the country, than tax them on nothing and do without. The 50p tax was nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with trying to trip the Conservatives up.

Japan has lower unemployment than the UK, despite their economy still being marred by their own financial crash in the 90s. Germany has had unemployment dropping for years, we've had it rising for years.

We're running the same structural deficit as Greece, which is having to be bailed out. Every family knows you can't spend more than your income.

We were the first of the G20 countries into recession, and the last out. Hardly a thumbs up for our economy.

We're at risk of losing our credit rating, as the private sector loses confidence in the governments ability and willingness to pay back it's creditors. That will mean an even greater cost in interest payments to bankers, payments which already dwarf the entire defence budget. Interest rates will rise, people with mortgages will really feel the pinch, and may lose their home. Working people will be the ones who suffer.

We have to avoid this at all costs by government living within it's means and cutting the deficit immediately. There is no time to wait.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..