Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2010, 11:21   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: General Election

The ‘Output, prices, and jobs‘ section of this week’s Economist clearly shows that there are at least five G20 countries still in recession: Britain, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, and Russia. Spain, who attend G20 meetings, are also still in recession.

this was posted december,on an economics site, seems the others on this list have come out of recession P.D.Q.?
Old 27-03-2010, 11:33   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The ‘Output, prices, and jobs‘ section of this week’s Economist clearly shows that there are at least five G20 countries still in recession: Britain, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, and Russia. Spain, who attend G20 meetings, are also still in recession.

this was posted december,on an economics site, seems the others on this list have come out of recession P.D.Q.?
Spain do attend G20 meetings, they're not in the G20 though. Canada, Mexico, South Africa and Russia came out of recession before we did.

UK recession longest and deepest since war, says ONS | Business | guardian.co.uk (We've since come out of recession with 0.3% growth)
Old 27-03-2010, 11:36   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Spain do attend G20 meetings, they're not in the G20 though. Canada, Mexico, South Africa and Russia came out of recession before we did.

UK recession longest and deepest since war, says ONS | Business | guardian.co.uk (We've since come out of recession with 0.3% growth)
you n many others may buy that "weve come outa recession" Crap, but i sure don't.
Old 27-03-2010, 11:37   #49
God Member

Quote:
you n many others may buy that "weve come outa recession" Crap, but i sure don't.
I was talking about officially. I still think our economy is terrible and we have worse to come.
Old 27-03-2010, 11:40   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I was talking about officially. I still think our economy is terrible and we have worse to come.
why talk officially? i can agree wi that statement, cos i say as i see.
Old 27-03-2010, 11:42   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:

A better way of making comparisons perhaps, for those of us old enough to remember, would be to try and weigh up if we are better, or worse off today, than we were twenty years ago, when Queen Margaret was still on the throne.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 11:46   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
A better way of making comparisons perhaps, for those of us old enough to remember, would be to try and weigh up if we are better, or worse off today, than we were twenty years ago, when Queen Margaret was still on the throne.
very witty.
Old 27-03-2010, 13:42   #53
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yep, not worth a flutter really, Bernard. Outright Labour victory's coming up at 13/2...hmmm, might be worth a trip down the bookies today...especially if the boy David makes a few more gaffes in the coming weeks.
Got down there, thought about it and decided to put my tenner on Stanley to win at Bournemouth at 11/4 instead. I may live to regret that decision if Cameron carries on shooting himself in the foot.

Now I'm off to the pub to waste some more money.
Old 27-03-2010, 15:21   #54
Senior Member+

5/6 on Labour to win in Hyndburn. Worth a punt surely.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 15:23   #55
God Member

Quote:
honestly think this election will be closer than some think, never oer till the fat lady sings.
dear god has susan boyle released another album

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 15:29   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
5/6 on Labour to win in Hyndburn. Worth a punt surely.
only 5/6
Old 27-03-2010, 15:54   #57
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
You could be right, the Tories could get in.

I'll be alright though, this time I won't be on the Dole with a family to bring up.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 16:03   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You could be right, the Tories could get in.

I'll be alright though, this time I won't be on the Dole with a family to bring up.
Happy days, I'm sure.

Have you gone all misty eyed, remembering the 'good old days'?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 16:29   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Happy days, I'm sure.

Have you gone all misty eyed, remembering the 'good old days'?

I couldn't afford mist back then, we were lucky the council house we lived in was five star,

Wait for it, it's an oldy but a goodie,

That was the number of them we could see through the roof where the slates had gone missing.

Bumtisheythangyouw.

If I hadn't spent so much time sleeping under it during those days just for the price of a 5p piece I could have been at the end of the Pier.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 21:08   #60

Last Saturday I was reading an article by a prominent economist, who was talking about the dangers of a double dip recession (which basically means that we go back into another recession. He said that if Labour win it was unlikely we would go into a double dip (unless other European countries go back into recession which would have a bad effect on the UK economy). However, if the Tories win with their promises of cutting public spending - which in effect means cutting capital projects such as school building projects, elevate etc. This would have a catastrophic effect on the economy putting large numbers of construction workers out of work, which would in turn have a domino effect on other companies that supply builders. It would also have a multiplier effect on shops etc where the unemployed had bought food and other goods. Not to mention the loss of tax income and the large amount of welfare benefits (job seekers allowance, rent and council tax benefit etc) that would be paid.

Maybe this time round the Tories want to destroy another section of the British people - with Maggie it was the miners and manufacturing industry.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..