Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree350Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2017, 10:41   #166
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: General Election called

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
These are facts not opinions: The Brexit campaign was largely funded by a few billionaires. Many Accrington folk believe these billionaires did it for them!
If these ARE facts then put some links in naming the billionaires and the Accrington folk that believe they did it for them.

Quote:
Is it any wonder we got the result we did.
Yes it is a wonder, just about everyone that voted both for staying and leaving expected the result to be for us to remain, until that is, the votes were counted.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2017, 13:04   #167
Beacon of light

It really does not matter how the campaign was funded. The electorate wanted a say and no-one was keen to give us a say in whether we stayed or left.

I am sure that many of the remoaners were also funded by rich businesses...but you conveniently did not mention them.
I am pretty sure that those of us with a working brain, took into consideration what leaving might mean. None of the people I know and speak to on a regular basis thought it was going to be easy.
The easy thing would have been to stay and sleep walk into becoming a federal state of Europe.
Doing something because it is the easiest thing to do, is rarely wise.
I am glad that we got a say and I do not regret voting to leave the dysfunctional club that is the EU.
If they were our allies they would not have spoken of 'punishment'(for leaving)....they would have made it easier by offering an acceptable deal.
The main reason they don't want us to leave is that it will leave a gaping hole in the money that they expect to come into their coffers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 13:49   #168
God Member

david cameron wasted a lot of money putting his pro eu leaflet through every door in the UK yet the cry babies are upset some people used their own money to fund the leave campaign ?

richard Vranson is a millionaire and throwing funds at trying to over turn the will of the british public wheres the outrage at his disgusting actions

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 15:42   #169
Beacon of light

Quote:
These are facts not opinions: The Brexit campaign was largely funded by a few billionaires. Many Accrington folk believe these billionaires did it for them! The billionaires also own most of the UK Media – the finest brainwashing machine in the world. Their front men were Gove & Boris, who would fit perfectly in a Carry On Movie. Is it any wonder we got the result we did. I recommend a film with Michael Redgrave – Fame is the Spur, for it reveals how what I suggest happens.
Where were these 'facts' obtained? You offer no links to any of the sources of your facts...this weakens your stance somewhat.
(Remember this was a very dirty and acrimonious campaign, there was a lot of political clout at stake...and power is a very motivating force)
Were they from the press which you deem to be the best 'brainwashing machine in the world' or are you party to some other form of information gathering?
Maybe you have personal contact with some of the billionaires who donated money...or maybe you took as gospel what some of the politicians who were on the remain side, told you.
Whichever it was, it makes no difference. The country voted. It had its say.

ALL media information has a bias. It is up to the reader to read between the lines and always ask questions....always look further than the sound bite, the headline. Look at different sources. Weigh up what is presented as information...if at all possible seek out independent sources (this is not always possible) but nothing says we have to swallow whole what the popular press serve up.
KiTChener, cashman and Jim Procter like this.
Old 14-05-2017, 15:58   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The country voted. It had its say.
That is a very important point.

It's say was leave, now, all of us need to get together and make that decision work.

We can only do that if those that voted stay will now accept this is the way of our world from now on, instead of remaining divisive we need to come together and make this work for all of us.
Old 14-05-2017, 16:23   #171
Beacon of light

You are right Less, but there are those in the public eye and in political circles who feel that this decision could(in some indeterminate circumstances) be overturned.
Until these prominent people get behind the main body of those who want to leave, there will be undercurrents and they will work to undermine efforts to leave the EU.
They will use subversive tactics, they may even use money and influence to try to get their own way.
These people believe that they know better than those who voted...the Richard Bransons, the Dominic Cumberbatch's, the leftie luvvies who pay lip service to democracy but would do all in their power to undermine it when things do not go their way.
Jim Procter and hilleluk like this.
Old 14-05-2017, 16:37   #172
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Those who will not accept the vote the electorate took, only like democracy when it suits them, to be honest, i have wiped better off the sole of my shoe.
Old 14-05-2017, 16:53   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You are right Less, but there are those in the public eye and in political circles who feel that this decision could(in some indeterminate circumstances) be overturned.
Until these prominent people get behind the main body of those who want to leave, there will be undercurrents and they will work to undermine efforts to leave the EU.
They will use subversive tactics, they may even use money and influence to try to get their own way.
These people believe that they know better than those who voted...the Richard Bransons, the Dominic Cumberbatch's, the leftie luvvies who pay lip service to democracy but would do all in their power to undermine it when things do not go their way.
No-one was more surprised with the result than I was, I wanted out, dirty tricks and propaganda led me to believe that even though I was going to vote out I would probably, more than likely, almost inevitably, wake up the following day and find that the rest of my life would be governed by the corrupt E.U.
I was overjoyed by the result, had it gone the other way what little influence I could muster would have had to be towards getting the best out of our membership, now, it's up to the remainders to do the same we are leaving, now we need to tell Europe (not beg or negotiate with wringing hands) that we wish to be allowed to trade fairly with the poor souls remaining within this farce and to make improvements that won't only benefit us but show them the way to honest and democratic trading within the world, yes, the world, we only have one planet we need to improve negotiations with all of it, not just argue with each other on one continent.
Old 14-05-2017, 17:26   #174
Beacon of light

Less, you echo all my sentiments.
I could not envisage us ever getting out of the clutches of that corrupt, ineffectual social experiment.
Please don't anyone tell me that it has kept us safe over the last decades....I do not subscribe to that view at all.
The Eu has made proud countries subservient. It has humbled the likes of Greece, Spain Portugal, and Italy.
it made these nations small and expected them to compete with industrialised(rich)nations.
There was NEVER a level playing field. It has indulged in dirty tricks.
It has treated Great Britain in the way a naughty child is treated...we have not been treated as equals, we who contribute something like a third of all the revenue.

I voted not to join in 1975
. I argued with my father(who at the time thought it was a good thing - though I have to say that before he died he changed his views). I told him it was never going to stay a trading organisation, even at that time I could see it becoming a huge federal state who wanted to control everything we did.

I have never thought it would be an easy task to get out...and I knew that the EU would do its utmost to make it harder than it needs to be just to put any other nations off the idea of leaving.
All that said, I do not regret my vote for a nano second.
We have fought harder battles.
Just let's get on with it.
Old 14-05-2017, 18:59   #175
God Member

labour have promised another bank holiday

im not sure if its going to be saint georges day or merkels birthday though
hilleluk likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 07:28   #176

Regarding the reactions to my post, it’s truly amazing what a thorough job our Media propaganda machine does and how, once it’s lodged its views in the minds of the UK public, it seems nigh on impossible to remove them. It is as if they are then cast in stone. As Mark Twain observed, “There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.”

For those who dismissed my suggestion it was a group of Billionaires (from all around the world) who sponsored the Brexit campaign, which was to convince us that the EU was the evil empire which gave the UK citizens a bad deal, then consider this example. There are two peculiar Billionaire bothers (The Barclays) who live in a Castle on Sark. The instant Brexit happened by a slim majority, Nigel Farage was summoned to the Barclay’s Castle. They then put on a lavish party to thank him for persuading the public to align their beliefs with their own. Yet many working people thought Nigel had really been fighting to benefit them?

The Barclays own the Telegraph!
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:04   #177
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

WHEN were the E.U. accounts last signed off?
Old 15-05-2017, 08:28   #178

Quote:
Regarding the reactions to my post, it’s truly amazing what a thorough job our Media propaganda machine does and how, once it’s lodged its views in the minds of the UK public, it seems nigh on impossible to remove them. It is as if they are then cast in stone. As Mark Twain observed, “There are laws to protect the freedom of the press’s speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.”

For those who dismissed my suggestion it was a group of Billionaires (from all around the world) who sponsored the Brexit campaign, which was to convince us that the EU was the evil empire which gave the UK citizens a bad deal, then consider this example. There are two peculiar Billionaire bothers (The Barclays) who live in a Castle on Sark. The instant Brexit happened by a slim majority, Nigel Farage was summoned to the Barclay’s Castle. They then put on a lavish party to thank him for persuading the public to align their beliefs with their own. Yet many working people thought Nigel had really been fighting to benefit them?

The Barclays own the Telegraph!
So, according to you, our media propaganda machine only sided with the Brexit campaign? None of the media sided with the leavers?

Our ideas are cast in stone yet your unchangeable opinions should be taken on board by all without question?

There were multi billionaires on both sides of the fence, because the ones that agree with your unshakeable convictions they must have been working for the common man and could not have had their own reasons for wishing to remain?

As has already been mentioned, the votes have been cast, the result is in, pretending that you know better than the majority doesn't mean you are correct.

P.S. No links to back up your opinion yet, without proof of your claims an opinion no matter how biased, is all it is.

Last edited by Less; 15-05-2017 at 08:34.
Old 15-05-2017, 09:45   #179
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

As far as i'm concerned suger is and always has been full of crap.
Old 15-05-2017, 09:53   #180
Beacon of light

And no evidence of independent information either...or from where he obtained it.
ALL MEDIA have a political bias. I do not CARE who owns The Telegraph.
I made my own decisions based on a number of information sources...and from these I filtered what I felt was likely to be true and what was homogenised for popular consumption.
I made my choice, now all I want is for us to get the hell out of the EU.

Don't you think that the EU was sold to the electorate falsely...probably by the same brainwashing machine that you cite now...but somehow that was alright with you.

You have been both scathing and patronising at the same time.
This never really goes down well...and it really does not matter what you think of us...whether you think we have been brainwashed, whether you think we are all educationally deficient. We all had one vote and we used it to tell the elite who run the country what we wanted them to do...and that was(just in case you have forgotten) to stick the EU where the sun doesn't shine.
maxthecollie likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..