Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: If a General Election were called tomorrow which way would you vote?
Labour 9 25.00%
Conservative 16 44.44%
Liberal Democrat 2 5.56%
Other 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2008, 07:13   #136
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: General Election Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
Thing is though Thursday wont change the Government - seeing as its the LOCAL elections.
You are right it wont, it could be an eye opener though of things to come, or not.
Old 29-04-2008, 08:39   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Here we go again. PB gets more exposure on this forum for free than anyone.......I think he may approach Garinda to be his Press Secretary.
I am sure Garinda would make an excellent Press Secretary for PB, at least his press releases would be much more interesting.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 08:54   #138
God Member

Quote:
Here we go again. PB gets more exposure on this forum for free than anyone.......I think he may approach Garinda to be his Press Secretary.
An theres people that are much more vocal in person about PB. For one, in the two times I've met Graham Jones I've not heard him shut up about Britcliffe all night! Ultimate advertisement!
Old 29-04-2008, 08:58   #139
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Have you conveniently forgotten the Poll Tax, which Thatcher intoduced, that targetted the poorest members of society too.
No claytonender, I was totally against the Poll Tax as it was implemented, the idea was sound, that everyone pays for the services they use, and that the poorest in society could still receive benefits, but the way it was imlemented was crazy, but mind you anybody who comes up with a system that is acceptable by all sections of society deserves a medal
Old 29-04-2008, 09:03   #140
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Its not worth it Roy, I was his secretary/press officer for seven years, it did my head in dealing with the public day in day out, in the publics eyes your not a councilor your a magician
Old 29-04-2008, 09:06   #141
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
An theres people that are much more vocal in person about PB. For one, in the two times I've met Graham Jones I've not heard him shut up about Britcliffe all night! Ultimate advertisement!
You mean you met him twice Cyfr, I'd have thought once would have been enough for anyone
Old 29-04-2008, 09:30   #142
God Member

Quote:
I am sure Garinda would make an excellent Press Secretary for PB, at least his press releases would be much more interesting.
Not a good idea...He would have us all believing in Goblins and Faries.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 10:13   #143
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I'd do a great job.

I'd have him out within the year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 10:28   #144
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'd do a great job.

I'd have him out within the year.
The Labour Party have been trying for 25 years and he's never had a majority less than 100, even in the days of the Tory Government
Old 29-04-2008, 10:39   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The Labour Party have been trying for 25 years and he's never had a majority less than 100, even in the days of the Tory Government
Cyfr and myself were discussing this at the weekend.

Nowadays I think it's certainly in his favour to be leader of the council, as people in Ossy think if you're going to have a councillor you might as well have one that is the one in charge, if only from a selfish point of view, and in the hope of getting more than your fair share of the budget. I get the distinct impression he isn't as popular outside of Oswaldtwistle.

The people of New Lane must be thrilled, as I suspect they have more traffic calming measures in place than any other stretch of road in the whole country.

Instead of that big sign flashing up your speed, and telling you to slow down, as you approach New Lane, I'm just suprised it doesn't say 'Alert council leader lives here.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 11:07   #146
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Cyfr and myself were discussing this at the weekend.

Nowadays I think it's certainly in his favour to be leader of the council, as people in Ossy think if you're going to have a councillor you might as well have one that is the one in charge, if only from a selfish point of view, and in the hope of getting more than your fair share of the budget. I get the distinct impression he isn't as popular outside of Oswaldtwistle.

The people of New Lane must be thrilled, as I suspect they have more traffic calming measures in place than any other stretch of road in the whole country.

Instead of that big sign flashing up your speed, and telling you to slow down, as you approach New Lane, I'm just suprised it doesn't say 'Alert council leader lives here.'
I'll have a word Rindi and see what I can do

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..