Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: If a General Election were called tomorrow which way would you vote?
Labour 9 25.00%
Conservative 16 44.44%
Liberal Democrat 2 5.56%
Other 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2008, 14:48   #91
God Member

Re: General Election Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As you point out, unlike your good self, I'm not a member of any political organisation or party.

I will continue to criticise, or praise, whoever, and whatever, I see fit.

Just this past week I've highlighted three major issues I have with this government, as well as calling them sleazy on this very forum.

I guess that's the beauty I have of being non-partisan, unlike those of you who are active members of a political organisation, and who use Accy Web to spread one party propoganda.

I was genuinely disappointed yesterday with Cameron's interview with the BBC about crime. As was pointed out to him, if he was P.M. he'd be shouting from the roof tops about the fall in figures of reported crime, and taking all the praise.

He showed the same sort of reticence to comment that he exhibits over the question as to whether he ever took illegal drugs before becoming party leader. A simple yes or no would be so much more appreciated by the general public.

British politics is crying out for straightforward, clear, honest, leadership. Three things David Cameron has so far not shown he is capable of.
Come on now rindi enough of the 'I'm not part of a party' business. I do and can still make criticisms of the Conservative party. I'm in the party because they're the party I most agree with and support. It does't mean I support the party blindly on policy. Besides which you can still be partisan without having a membership card.

Considering Cameron said "Any good news is always welcome"... "you rejoice at good bits and then look at bad bits and work out what to do about it" yet you seemed to miss this in the interview, are you sure you're non-partisan?

Last edited by andrewb; 25-04-2008 at 14:51.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2008, 16:17   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
As you point out, unlike your good self, I'm not a member of any political organisation or party.

I will continue to criticise, or praise, whoever, and whatever, I see fit.

Just this past week I've highlighted three major issues I have with this government, as well as calling them sleazy on this very forum.

I guess that's the beauty I have of being non-partisan, unlike those of you who are active members of a political organisation, and who use Accy Web to spread one party propoganda.

I was genuinely disappointed yesterday with Cameron's interview with the BBC about crime. As was pointed out to him, if he was P.M. he'd be shouting from the roof tops about the fall in figures of reported crime, and taking all the praise.

He showed the same sort of reticence to comment that he exhibits over the question as to whether he ever took illegal drugs before becoming party leader. A simple yes or no would be so much more appreciated by the general public.

British politics is crying out for straightforward, clear, honest, leadership. Three things David Cameron has so far not shown he is capable of.
I will only take one issue up with you Rindi, first I am not politically Active, I'm just an ordinary member and have been since 2001, I think if you check that since my account on Accy Web was sorted on the 29th Jan this year I have not started a political thread, but I'm not going to sit back wilst people like Jones come on here and use the site for spreading his political ethos. Be quite honest Rindi it would be fine by me if politics were never mentioned again on here, but that won't happen, so I'll just have a prod and a poke have my say and leave the more serious stuff to Cyfr
Old 25-04-2008, 16:20   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Come on now rindi enough of the 'I'm not part of a party' business. I do and can still make criticisms of the Conservative party. I'm in the party because they're the party I most agree with and support. It does't mean I support the party blindly on policy. Besides which you can still be partisan without having a membership card.

Considering Cameron said "Any good news is always welcome"... "you rejoice at good bits and then look at bad bits and work out what to do about it" yet you seemed to miss this in the interview, are you sure you're non-partisan?
Hear Hear Cyfr Hear Hear
Old 25-04-2008, 17:54   #94
God Member

I'm still wanting a clear cut answer as to why Cameron would be a good leader?

I don't want any "well Gordon Brown isn't good because...". No. I want actual concrete reasons why David Cameron would be a good Prime Minister wish strong leadership qualities, no reasons related to anything else, no BS, just attributes about him that would make him a good strong leader for the nation.

Step up Tories and get ready to be knocked down.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 18:16   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm just an ordinary member and have been since 2001
That's odd, I thought I'd read a post of your's the other day saying you'd been a member of the Conservative party since you were sixteen. I appologise if I'm mistaken.

I made no mention of any names, when I posted of members of political parties using Accy Web for party political propoganda.

Strange how both you and Cyfr jumped in to defend yourselves from that charge.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 18:18   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
In the interview he even mentioned a direct policy he was going to implement. So you are aware of policy Conservatives are making!

A 'crime map'?

Is that the Conservative policy he was advocating in yesterday's interview?

Old 25-04-2008, 18:25   #97
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

I don't want any "well Gordon Brown isn't good because...". No. I want actual concrete reasons why David Cameron would be a good Prime Minister wish strong leadership qualities, no reasons related to anything else, no BS, just attributes about him that would make him a good strong leader for the nation.

This idea of leadership has always troubled me in politics. It seems that everyone expects something different. Some want charisma, some toughness, some integrity, etc.; and most want everyting. Problem is that until someone holds the highest office there is no easy way of assessing his leadership qualities. When someone is leading the opposition they have an easy job ... they oppose, simple. And they can say what they want in opposition, they can appear forceful and innovative etc. I have always found that, in opposition, any politican can make dramatic statements of what he/she will do in office; but when they are elected to that office, they come out with the same meaningless bs that they criticized when they were in opposition. Seems to me that the guide should be when thinking of leadership qualities: "don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed." And if a new leader doesn't deliver what he promises, don't be disappointed; he will quite happily blame his failings on the previous administration. It goes like this; "I am sorry I can't fulfill my promises to cut taxes, increase pensions, make hamburgers grow on trees, because of the fiscal mess left by my predecessor in office." I just vote for a party whose general principles I agree with (in my case the NDP) and hope for the best.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 22:19   #98
God Member

Quote:
That's odd, I thought I'd read a post of your's the other day saying you'd been a member of the Conservative party since you were sixteen. I appologise if I'm mistaken.

I made no mention of any names, when I posted of members of political parties using Accy Web for party political propoganda.

Hardly strange, it's no coincidence that you claim to be non-partisan in reply to my posts. However I don't come on here in a propaganda mission, after all I'm not even running for any kind of position.

Yes, it was crime maps.
Old 25-04-2008, 22:28   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
you claim to be non-partisan in reply to my posts.
I am.

I've never been a member or affiliated to any political party, unlike some.

As pointed out earlier I've crtiticised the Labour government over three major issues this week, and labelled them as sleazy. In the past I've praised the few actions of our Tory run council that I think deserve noting. Hardly the actions of a political activist for the Labour party.

I'll carry on being critical of what I think needs criticising, which more often than not are the failings of the Conservative run council to deliver the quality of services I think we deserve.

Old 25-04-2008, 22:38   #100
God Member

Quote:
I am.

I've never been a member or affiliated to any political party, unlike some.

As pointed out earlier I've crtiticised the Labour government over three major issues this week, and labelled them as sleazy. In the past I've praised the few actions of our Tory run council that I think deserve noting. Hardly the actions of a political activist for the Labour party.

I'll carry on being critical of what I think needs criticising, which more often than not are the failings of the Conservative run council to deliver the quality of services I think we deserve.
You don't need to be a member of a party to be partisan.

But by your logic, because I've criticised Conservatives, I've even praised our local Labour MP, therefore I must be non-partisan.
Old 25-04-2008, 22:59   #101
God Member

Quote:

OK Pal I'll take that one.
First of all Cameron has the makings of a Statesman in his physical demeaner and presentation.
He has the right to challenge GB without the threat of Whimps ..Oh sorry
Whips.
I feel he would direct his MP's to search for solutions to the problems of the country...i.e....why are we being ripped off by oil producing countries instead of concentrating..when need arises to.. refer to 'Global Warming' to take the pressure off?
I would hope that he gets rid of the 'Nanny State' that we find ourselves in and that we have a Chancellor who is not tied to the apron strings of his boss.
I have to feel sorry for the lifelong Labour supporters....even the Unions dont get on with GB....and what about the 10% tax rate?
Bring it on

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 23:12   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You don't need to be a member of a party to be partisan.

But by your logic, because I've criticised Conservatives, I've even praised our local Labour MP, therefore I must be non-partisan.
I take it back, perhaps I am partisan.

The only MPs I've ever chatted to socially at parties, and the only ex-PM I've ever had a private dinner with at the Carlton Club, have been Conservative, so perhaps my politics are more inclined to the right than the left.

To my knowledge the last time I spoke to a Labour politican was Arthur Davidson at my great uncle's garden party in 1970, when I was five.

Old 25-04-2008, 23:16   #103
God Member

Quote:
I take it back, perhaps I am partisan.

The only MPs I've ever chatted to socially at parties, and the only ex-PM I've ever had a private dinner with at the Carlton Club, have been Conservative, so perhaps my politics are more inclined to the right than the left.

To my knowledge the last time I spoke to a Labour politican was Arthur Davidson at my great uncle's garden party in 1970, when I was five.
Gosh....We are well connected

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 23:21   #104

Quote:

He wouldnt, in fact the day the conservatives boot him off the top spot, the sooner i may cast my vote in their direction.

Could have sworn a requirement of being a leader was to lead, Brown follows wherever the USA points to (though admittedly not as blatantly as his mate), Cameron would ask be too busy answering important questions like how many joints he smoked.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 09:19   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I have been a member since I was sixteen Rindi, but if you read back I said I am just a party member and not active since 2001, and the only time I talk about party politics is when some one else raises the subject, as I said before I don't think I have started a politicl thread since I came back on line on 29th Jan

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..