Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2007, 19:56   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

"General Patton's" view on Terror!

I just received this email. Although it is a parody, I feel many Americans have this strong of a stance on this issue. There is alot of bad language (IMO) and to some of you, "the speech" will cause offense on it's "cocky/arrogant American" attitude (IMO). I personally appreciate the tough talk in soome ways and believe "he's" kinda out there in other areas. Just felt I should/could share many American's views and look forward to your thoughts.

WARNING: It is VERY Conservative (Far Right) in it's substance (IMO)!Please don't shoot the messenger!

Brian

Guys,

I normally do not send e-mails such as this one, but the link below is a parody of Gen Patton giving his speech at the beginning of the movie. It has some foul language, but the message is spot on.

For the Brits, a HUGE compliment is paid to you all ... listen all the way through.

Bear

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2007, 20:24   #2
God Member

Re: "General Patton's" view on Terror!

That was a corker. It summed everything up to a tee.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 00:00   #3

Now, is corker a good thing? I know it was pretty long but appreciate you viewing it Spugs. Hope others take the time to muddle through it!

Brian

Old 26-07-2007, 00:13   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

a corker is a good thing LYY, an i will second it having just seen it. great summary loved it.
Old 26-07-2007, 00:28   #5
God Member

Great speech!

In fact I'm now off to listen to Green Day's American Idiot
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 01:33   #6
God Member

think its time to crank up the Dixie Chicks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 11:59   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Now, is corker a good thing? I know it was pretty long but appreciate you viewing it Spugs. Hope others take the time to muddle through it!

Brian
Corker is a good thing in this context. I really enjoyed it and what was said rang true. It summed up modern attitudes and habits perfectly and the comment on Britain taking on the Nazis after they invaded Poland while America stayed out was a heart warmer.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 16:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
think its time to crank up the Dixie Chicks
Oh come now Jack, you didn't enjoy every word and stand with pride as Patton gave his speech. Did you even make it through the whole thing? I thought you be shedding tears and sharing it with all your patriotic San Fransico neighbors! You could even translate it into spanish for the rest of your neighbors.

As for cranking of the Pixie Sticks, I'll leave that to Toby Keith!

Brian

Old 26-07-2007, 17:27   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I thought you be shedding tears and sharing it with all your patriotic San Fransico neighbors! You could even translate it into spanish for the rest of your neighbors.

Brian
My Hispanic/Latino neighbours don't require any education in speaking English ,in fact it may surprise you to know some of them were living here prior to California statehood in 1849, ever heard of Don Diego del la Vega.....Zorro (ok not a real person but you get the idea) even the gardener and the pool guy manage to get by , it must be ESL classes they are taking at evening class)

The Afghanis apart from the old crone of a grandmother speak English she speaks Pushtu, Dari, Farsi and Arabic, lucky for me, I still get a chance to practice the smattering Farsi and Arabic I picked up in Iran and Saudi.

One of the Chinese familys great,great grandfathers came over and worked on the construction of the trans continental railroad, so there is no need of any translation for them.

The Brazilian familiys kids dont even speak Portugese , and as for the Japanese......they have been speaking English since their Grandparents were put into prison camps in the Utah desert in 1941

In fact the only neighbours I have any problem communicating with are the recent transplants from Texas (white trash christian fundamenalists).

In fact it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they have more of a problem understanding my Lancashire accent and idioms at times

..is not the national motto of the USA .. the Latin phrase, E Pluribus Unum — out of many, one
Old 26-07-2007, 20:54   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
My Hispanic/Latino neighbours don't require any education in speaking English ,in fact it may surprise you to know some of them were living here prior to California statehood in 1849, ever heard of Don Diego del la Vega.....Zorro (ok not a real person but you get the idea) even the gardener and the pool guy manage to get by , it must be ESL classes they are taking at evening class)

The Afghanis apart from the old crone of a grandmother speak English she speaks Pushtu, Dari, Farsi and Arabic, lucky for me, I still get a chance to practice the smattering Farsi and Arabic I picked up in Iran and Saudi.

One of the Chinese familys great,great grandfathers came over and worked on the construction of the trans continental railroad, so there is no need of any translation for them.

The Brazilian familiys kids dont even speak Portugese , and as for the Japanese......they have been speaking English since their Grandparents were put into prison camps in the Utah desert in 1941

In fact the only neighbours I have any problem communicating with are the recent transplants from Texas (white trash christian fundamenalists).

In fact it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they have more of a problem understanding my Lancashire accent and idioms at times

..is not the national motto of the USA .. the Latin phrase, E Pluribus Unum — out of many, one
Yes, that is the motto, but why does that "one" have to be GWB? Are there no first nations people in your area?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 21:04   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yes, that is the motto, but why does that "one" have to be GWB? Are there no first nations people in your area?
probably , but I was just listing my immediate neighbours .

I know there is a thriving 'community' in the Bay Area, the Pow-wows get a big attendance , and quite a few of the younger folks who are decendants of the Okies and Arkies who moved to the California during the Depression and WW2 are now tracing their "Native American" roots , sometimes comes as a shock when these redneck kids find out that Great Grandma was born on a reservation .
Old 27-07-2007, 17:19   #12

Apologeze for the thread wander. Thanks to whoever gave me the karma from here. Yours put me into the over 1,000 karma point category!

Steeljack, with all that diversity in your area, how does everybody get along? Much gang activity? I would imagine California's more laidback, easygoing attitude makes it easier than over here on the East Coast. The rednecky, real southern folk really don't like any outsiders, especially Yankees.

However, they would have LOVED George Patton's speech. From front to back. I wouldn't think it would go as well back home in the Northeast but would have had alot support from the Midwest (the corkers!).

Brian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..