Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Royboy39

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 21:16   #1
God Member

George Slynn

Dont know if this deserves a mention but the former leader of HBC died today age 73,?

Former Hyndburn Council leader dies, 73 (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Jim Procter likes this.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2009, 22:54   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: George Slynn

Sure lots of people will be sad at this news Roy ... did his best for the people of Hyndburn ... that's all we can ask of our councilors.

RIP George.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 23:43   #3
Senior Member+

Sad news indeed, RIP George.
Old 10-04-2009, 00:34   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I did not know the gent but it is always sad when we loose someone.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:27   #5
God Member

I never knew him, but rest in peace.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:27   #6
Resting in Peace

Sorry to hear about that, I didn't agree with his politics, but respected him as a man RIP George
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15   #7
Senior Member+

I was sad to hear about George's death. We were on the council together for quite a few years.

George devoted a large part of his life to public service here in Hyndburn. No one put more hours in to being a councillor than George.

People might not have always agreed George,but there were very few people who questioned his commitment.

George off course was also passionate about his home town of Gt Harwood. And there is no doubt that a lot of the improvements in Harwood are down to the work George put in.

I have often been asked about George since his retirement from the council. My reply would always be the same. And it's that George certainly put put a lot more in than than he every took out.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 16:43   #8

Bernard is absolutely right, I know of no councillor who worked as hard as George Slynn. I became involved in local politics in Great Harwood a long time ago and George was 'Mr Harwood' - he knew every inch of his ward and helped a huge number of people. He should also be remembered for his commitment to regenerating the Borough after tough times economically; he was instrumental in the transformation of what is now The Globe from a derelict site into modern offices. George was a true public servant.
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:26   #9

I knew George from being a kid... He was a real Harwood man no one could ever question
his loyalty to Great Harwood... when most councillors were out for lunch on a sunday afternoon George could be found .. pencil and pad in hand taking notes and generally watching the comings and goings of everyday life... no car... always on foot and always ready to listen ... and if George said he would look into it ... he would ... and he would let you know the outcome and advise .....God Bless him...... he will be sadly missed
Old 17-07-2016, 10:18   #10

I'm researching a school film resource about Accrington and would like to reflect George Slynn's contribution to the town and its people. It would only be a fleeting glimpse of him (the entire film is only 5 minutes long!) and I need a good photograph. Can anyone help? I'll be posting elsewhere on the forum about other aspects of the film.
Triz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 11:40   #11
Senior Member+

Contact Hyndburn Labour Party
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..