Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 20:27   #16

Re: Getting More Than A bit Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
that idea alone though is not enough , i would like to see parents be given back the power to control their kids and not get put in prison for giving a well deserved beating to a kid that does this sort of thing
Agree fully. I think that teachers ought to be allowed to punish a child too.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:30   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Agree fully. I think that teachers ought to be allowed to punish a child too.
Children don't fear teachers, parents, policemen or any other authority figures any more.

Discipline has been taken away from schools and the government keeps trying to take it away from parents too, more's the pity.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Children don't fear teachers, parents, policemen or any other authority figures any more.

Discipline has been taken away from schools and the government keeps trying to take it away from parents too, more's the pity.
Children especially are very impressionable. A well behaved child watching an unruly child being naughty constantly without consequence for their actions will soon try to see how far they can push things themselves.

This may sound a bit taboo, but I think some children have to have fear instilled into them. They have to learn that action equates to consequence. Kids should have a healthy fear of their parent, teachers and the police.

Last edited by Bonnyboy; 01-06-2008 at 20:46. Reason: spelling
Bonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:44   #19

[quote=BERNADETTE;585439]When my grandson was on his way round here at teatime yesterday another boy was following him and threatening him with a knife!! Luckily a friend of my daughters lives enroute so he went to her house and she brought him here. It is seriously scary as the boy is about same age as my grandson and he is nine[/quote
i think i would be scared as well, kids have no respect for no one these days.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:45   #20
God Member

Quote:
Children especially are very impressionable. A well behaved child watching an unruly child being naughty constantly without consequence for their actions will soon try to see how far they can push things themselves.

This may sound a bit taboo, but I think some children have to have fear instilled into them. They have to learn that action equates to consequence. Kids should have a health fear of their parent, teachers and the police.
I quite agree, Bonnyboy.

It's a sad state of affairs we're having to live with.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:45   #21

[quote=pam1;585520]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
When my grandson was on his way round here at teatime yesterday another boy was following him and threatening him with a knife!! Luckily a friend of my daughters lives enroute so he went to her house and she brought him here. It is seriously scary as the boy is about same age as my grandson and he is nine[/quote
i think i would be scared as well, kids have no respect for no one these days.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:54   #22

Quote:
I quite agree, Bonnyboy.

It's a sad state of affairs we're having to live with.
As you say, we are having to live with it. We flippin well shouldn’t be though.

I wonder what my great grandparents or even grandparents would have made of the fact that we can no longer effectively control our offspring.
Old 01-06-2008, 21:08   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

thats something i have been saying repeatedly fer years, the P.C. brigade have much to answer for IMHO. this little git, if hes old enough to carry n threaten with a knife 9 yrs old or not, hes old enough to be releived of his freedom in my book. n i aint sure about jailing parents until its a level playing field n parents have disipline back in their powers. cos if they punish parents as is now, like other things in life it will be the easy targets NOT the real bad parents that will bear the brunt.
Old 01-06-2008, 21:22   #24
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:

This may sound a bit taboo, but I think some children have to have fear instilled into them. They have to learn that action equates to consequence. Kids should have a healthy fear of their parent, teachers and the police.

You are so right. Being afraid of what your dad, or mum, might do to you if you do wrong doesn't mean not being loved. If it did then most of my generation would have been "unloved" children - and I can assure you we weren't. We were "afraid" of teachers too, in as much as we knew better than to step out of line, and in awe of policemen.
Old 01-06-2008, 21:27   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
You are so right. Being afraid of what your dad, or mum, might do to you if you do wrong doesn't mean not being loved. If it did then most of my generation would have been "unloved" children - and I can assure you we weren't. We were "afraid" of teachers too, in as much as we knew better than to step out of line, and in awe of policemen.
trouble with that is although correct n commonsense we are viewed as " Dinasors" by the pillocks in society.
Old 01-06-2008, 21:51   #26
God Member

Bring back Corporal punishment I say, the little buggers know no discipline, get away with murder (literally) at home, school and in society in general, teach them some respect, I'd be ashamed if it was one of mine.
Hope your Grandson isn't too shook up Bernie.
Old 01-06-2008, 23:20   #27
God Member

I remember a few of the lads taking knives to primary school when I was there. I think it's always been a problem amongst youngsters, and most wouldnt actually use the weapon that they carry.

Obviously it is scary, and I am not trying to justify carrying knives in anyway, just speculating on my own experience as a child and recalling that knives were carried by some boys back then too.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 23:23   #28
white rabbits

oh my god Bernie,,,The sooner we get back to adults being in charge and not kids the better,,,there was a time when kids had a friendly scrap and might have come home with a busted nose at the worst ,,BUT NOT THESE DAYS..its a scary world now
Old 01-06-2008, 23:23   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yeh can't really say most wouldn't use em blazey, kids when they "lose it" if they "carry" have every chance of using it.
Old 01-06-2008, 23:23   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I remember a few of the lads taking knives to primary school when I was there. I think it's always been a problem amongst youngsters, and most wouldnt actually use the weapon that they carry.

Obviously it is scary, and I am not trying to justify carrying knives in anyway, just speculating on my own experience as a child and recalling that knives were carried by some boys back then too.
As a student of law..........what would be your take on this?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..