Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 20:59   #1
Accrington Web Mascot

Give Blood......

Just returned from my third blood donating session at the Globe Centre in Accy, and thought I'd try and convince some more people to "do something amazing". And it really is amazing to think that you may have helped to save someone's life - and you never know if you or your family may ever need to use the service themselves - without donors this wouldn't be possible.

They have sessions at the Globe centre very often and if you get in touch with the National Blood Service they will be able to advise you. (I will also try to remember to post the date, when I next get my invitation).

I would also like to take the time to thank the staff, who are absolutely fantastic - they do an excellent job and are friendly, considerate and entertaining at the same time!

Well I hope this is the beginning of the AccringtonWeb Blood Donating Society!!!!!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2004, 21:08   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Give Blood......

Is there an age limit? They don't seem to want my blood any more and I used to be in demand at one time.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 23:43   #3
Member.

Good for you Shortstuff, I wish you well at getting the message across, although I must admit to my embarrassment that it has been some time since I personally give blood. I think an important part of the donation process is the Bone Marrow Register. Something perhaps we should consider more often, I look forward to letties input on the subject. The point that willow makes in regard to age restrictions will now be impacting on donation levels across the country so I suppose the point that you’re making shortstuff is now even more valid. I’m not too sure of the actual age limit but I’ll take a leaf out of you book and make the effort. Thank you.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:35   #4

im sorry i could never give blood, i have a real bad phobia of needles, i only wish i could face it and help
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:37   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Been a regular blood donor over the years I'm not aware of the age limit but if you have had a baby or an operation in the last 12 months you are not permitted to give blood. The sad thing is that we are desperate for donors. We have recently been told that we must only give transfusions when absolutely necessary, because of the shortage nationally of donated blood. For example, if a woman has a massive heamorrhage in childbirth causing her to go into shock, we can replace that blood, if however a lady haemorrhages and we can stabilise her without blood then we don't transfuse. The lady who doesn't get the transfusion may be quite anaemic, feel weakened, tired and breathless but may not be transfused unless her symptoms of anaemia are extreme. This lady will be given iron tablets and her body will make up the extra heamoglobin eventually, but this may take a few months, bear in mind she has a new baby to look after. After a transfusion most of our women feel back to normal within 2 days, so it does make a big difference.
Bone marrow is a different kettle of fish. The sad thing about people on the bone marrow list is that there are so many with the same type of blood group, lots more women than men, and the people with rarer blood groups, who tend to be the ones that the service are more desperate for just aren't there.
All I can say is that if you know you have a rare blood group or certain antibodies in your blood. If you are O Negative (universal donor, this blood can be given to anyone in an emergency) Then get over your fears and get donating. You have my assurance that it doesn't hurt. I do it, and I'm not known for doing pain. You never know, you just might save a life.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:42   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Been a regular blood donor over the years I'm not aware of the age limit .................. If you are O Negative (universal donor, this blood can be given to anyone in an emergency) Then get over your fears and get donating.
In that case I shall make further enquiries because I've been the recipient of donated blood myself and last October my daughter's life was saved in part by blood transfusions.

I'm one of the O Negatives and always used to be in demand so I couldn't understand when they said I was no longer required.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:49   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

It does sound strange. Obviously there is a lower age limit, I think it's 18. I was told initially that I would never be able to donate. My GP told me as a child due to an illness that I contracted. When I checked with the Blood Transfusion Service they nearly snatched my hand off, because I have immunity from certain illnesses and would transfer that immunity to others who receive my donation. Sometimes you can develop blood antibodies from receiving a transfusion, but that shouldn't really be an issue as lots of people have antibodies and need transfusions with the same antibodies. It may be worthwhile investigating this Willow.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 11-09-2004, 09:56   #8
Member.

Hi lettie, I think there maybe some confusion on my part in relation to upper age limits of transfusions. I think I was thinking of the fact that there is now a general ban on those who have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure in the UK since 1st January 1980.

This may give some help to those interested. http://www.blood.co.uk/index.html

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 11-09-2004, 10:07   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

I'll try to read the link later tonight Doug, as I have to get ready for work. I know that the Transfusion service do have lists of people/conditions to exclude from making donations. All blood is very carefully tested during the collection, separation and preparation processes. The BTS is a separate entity from your NHS Trusts (where I work) I would hazard a guess that the ban on people who have received blood transfusion since 1980 would in all likelyhood be referring to CJD.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:29   #10
Member.

Alas I believe that to be true lettie.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 11-09-2004, 10:36   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

I'm not 100% on the CJD thing Doug, but I'll look it up when I get chance. I may have to arrange some blood from Lancaster today, as we are expecting some this weekend for a client with unusal antibodies. Anything containing antibodies is supplied by the Lancaster service for the North West Region. If I get to speak to them I will ask.... That's if I get time, we're having a very busy week...

Old 11-09-2004, 13:30   #12

Id love to give blood as my sister got lukemia at the age of 5 she needed a full blood transfusion and nearly died but unfortunately getting blood from me is like getting blood from a stone.
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 14:36   #13
Resident Waffler

I always had that problem! Every time I donated blood it just didn't seem to want to leave my body. Other people would come and go and I'd still be lying there slowly dripping!

It may well be because I received a transfusion in 1991 that they no longer require my services. Seems such a shame if that is the case. Obviously the blood I received must have been OK because I'm still here.

I will have to look into it.

Old 11-09-2004, 22:44   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I always had that problem! Every time I donated blood it just didn't seem to want to leave my body. Other people would come and go and I'd still be lying there slowly dripping!

I have the same problem but always put it down to the reasoning that my blood must be good quality stuff.. The staff feel sorry for you when you've been on the couch for over an hour, and I've even been given an extra biscuit before now...

Old 11-09-2004, 22:45   #15
Always EVIL within us

Talking Re: Give Blood......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Is there an age limit? They don't seem to want my blood any more and I used to be in demand at one time.
I am ashamed to say that when I was young, the thought of giving blood never occurred to me and sometime back, I heard that there was an age limit (not from a proffesional person) so dismissed the idea. Willow, If you make enquiries and find that they will accept blood from 50 plus people, and providing you hold my hand, I will go with you and donate!! Thank you Shortstuff!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..