Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2004, 09:23   #1
Jo

Giving birth

This topic my be of little to interest to most, hope no-one minds me taking up the space though, it lies close to my heart.....

Lettie, I wanted to tell you that in Italy we have natural birth - no gas and air, no epidural, no nothing. We have a bath with warm water and can move freely into any position we want.
Any advice on how to naturally numb the pain??

Also, I have a specific question for Lettie: when I go into labour, they told me to go the hospital as late as possible (when contractions are every 5 minutes) but if my waters break, to go immediately. If, however, I have a bath at home to ease the pain, how will I know if my waters have broken?

Finally, any advice from anyone in general on giving birth would be welcome......
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2004, 09:40   #2
God Member

Re: Giving birth

Hello Jo,

I'm afraid I can't help you on this.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 15:04   #3
Jo

Oh Tealeaf, I knew you'd be the first to answer, and I thought, I'm sure he'll write something, though how much help it will be......
Thanks anyway chuck!!
Old 29-03-2004, 15:08   #4
God Member

No problem...Lettie should be coming on shortly...she usually pops up shortly after 4 & no doubt she'll make a full contribution.
Old 29-03-2004, 15:09   #5
Senior Member+

I cant either jo, but anything to do with dogs, i just might be able to help you.
Old 29-03-2004, 15:18   #6
God Member

Hello Janet - can you find my dog? It's gone missing.
Old 29-03-2004, 15:26   #7
Senior Member+

Try asking lettie, i have heard that her dog has taken a fancy to Growler.
Old 29-03-2004, 15:41   #8
God Member

Do you think they may have eloped?
Old 29-03-2004, 15:45   #9

i was one of the lucky ones i was only in labour 6 hours from the first twinge until having georgia. i had the pethadine injection but 2 minutes later i gave birth, the injection hurt more. after having her i just felt a wierd emptiness inside my stomach.
i certainley knew when my waters had broke there was loads i think id been in hospital for 3/4 of an hour when they did before hand i had a bath at home and just tried to relax and keep as calm as possible
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 15:55   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Hi Jo, hope you are well.

Firstly, if your waters go whilst in the bath, you will continue to leak water when you get out, and every time you have a contraction until your baby is born. Sometimes it is only a trickle of water now and then, but it is usually enough to make you suspect they've gone.

Many women here also give birth without pain relief, through choice, or because they deliver accidentally at home (been called out to a couple recently, there's something in the water in Hyndburn) We also use water and have a pool at Queens Park. Water is a very soothing pain reliever, as are different positions. If you have backache adopt a position to keep your weight off your back, crawling on your hands and knees usually does the trick. Keep mobile and upright, this is very important as gravity will help you. Do Not lie on your back, especially when pushing, as you are then pushing the baby uphill so to speak. Make sure you have good support from husband or if he's no good in situations like this, a friend. Massage is comforting in labour, hot water bottle can sometimes help, music in the background and basically anything you would normally use to take your mind off something. No specific breathing is required, just long deep breaths in and blow the breath out slowly. If you hold your breath, or hyperventilate, this makes the pain worse.

Remember that millions of women around the world do this every day without pain relief or medical help, as they may be 200 miles from the nearest clinic in third world countries. Even though this is very painful, the pain will all go away once you have pushed that baby out, and as soon as you clap eyes on your baby you will forget all about it, and think it was totally worth it.

If there's anything else you need to ask, feel free. Some of my nicest deliveries, have been at home, with no pain relief, good mobility and excellent support from the families.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 15:57   #11
God Member

I think most people on Accy Web must be experts on childbirth now....!!!!!!
Old 29-03-2004, 16:01   #12
I am Banned

Disgusting o'h well thats life
Stanley4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 06:52   #13
Jo

Lettie you're a star!!!
I feel better already. Also the way you describe it, it sounds more like a fastidious ache for q while, and not muscle-tearing pain for the full span of the labour. I'll definitely get myself a hot water bottle sorted, and my hubby should be of help (or he'll be in big trouble!!)
Thanks a lot, dear!! I may be back in touch again soon..... the fear comes and goes....
Old 30-03-2004, 15:39   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

When is baby due Jo? Most people find that it's a mixture between fear and excitement. It's fear of the unknown, or in the case of 2nd and 3rd babies fear of the known, and excitement because you can't wait to see your baby. Labour can start off very much like period pains which gradually become longer and stronger. We tell people to come to hospital when the pains are 4-5 minutes apart and are lasting longer than 40 seconds, anything less than that and you are unlikely to be established in labour. Alternatively you can go in when you just can't stand it any longer.. If you're due in June, I have a week off and am looking for a holiday destination, so I'll come and deliver you... Just kidding... I'm busy enough.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 19:00   #15
Accrington Web Mascot

I applaud anyone that gives birth without pain relief - but I must ask why is something that is so natural sooooo painful? When you see wildlife programmes with deer (for example) giving birth - they just go off on their own - push a little & out the baby comes!!! Next minute the deer are running about like nothing has happened!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..