Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2014, 20:42   #16
I am Banned

Re: Glasgow bin wagon crash.

Well even on here you get a ban or at a minimum an infraction for offending people.

Right or wrong?

Last edited by DtheP47; 28-12-2014 at 20:44.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2014, 20:44   #17
God Member

if we only had knock knock jokes humour would be over by the time we were 5

an ex of mine had epilepsy and i made a remark in the beer garden that her giving oral sex was like playing russain roulete with your winky.The person with epilepsy wasnt offended and spat her drink out laughing while someone who happened to know a woman with epilepsy got extreemly offended on the non present persons behalf

it didnt help matters when i asked for the persons number so i could avoid putting my winky in un nessecary danger either but once you have 1 foot in a hole you may as well jump in with both.

roy chubby brown concerts have warnings in teh adverts not to atttend if easily offended yet people still go then call for him to be banned

i think some folk want to be offended and are addicted to been offended
Eric likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 20:51   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

an ex of mine had epilepsy and i made a remark in the beer garden that her giving oral sex was like playing russain roulete

I can see why she is your "ex" accyman
Old 28-12-2014, 21:19   #19
Beacon of light

Well, I think that comments about people being addicted to being offended are a bit like those who shut down discussion by citing racism, homophobia and the like.
I would never go to a Chubby Brown show because I know that his humour is not something I like.
I avoid the stuff that I don't like...or the stuff I find offensive.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 05:19   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
last i knew it wasnt illigal to offend someone

cracks me up how people get so upset over people they never knew or will most likely never know yet have most likely laughed at a sick joke themselves or even told one

it seems to be fashionable in this country to jump on the offended binwaggon oops bandwaggon and express outrage at an action most have probabbly done themselves at some point.

most people spend hours been offended before they actually know what they are been offended by

iv offended people in the past infact i have no doubt i have but i have also been offended in the past and i can say that it never made me feel like diaing 999

like STUDIO says the only way police would or shoudl get involved is if there was direct threats to people made or specific action was said to be taken.Otherwise there shouldnt have been any police involvment if it was only a matter of something been in bad taste

the internet is full of idiots our prisons cant cope with real criminals yet alone the millions of idiots with keyboards
It's what they said he was guilty off, he was arrested on suspicion of making a malicious communication. The Malicious Communications Act 1998 appears to be a poor piece of legislation using not how it was intended, have a read here Malicious Communications Act 1988 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It basically means anything you write online could be used against you by the Police, be it Twitter, Facebook or on here
Old 29-12-2014, 11:19   #21

Hi-yes this aspect is a bit Orwellian isn't it. There's no real sign that anyone is being more careful with their comments under the threat of police action but it's a warning about surveillance I suppose It's also an easy arrest for the authorities. There's an interesting book from the seventies written by a Manchester University chap "The Police We Deserve".

Margaret P seems to get the balance right [p11*] It's all about taste. Tragedy does lead to jokes to cope [as with the jewish experience] but that's different to nasty anonymous inadequate text vandals. We should be able to put them down with humour but they would need to be grown up enough to understand it. I think time is another factor but modern society has one off reminder events that declare the subject "holy" all over again eg the enormous fuss re the Titanic-other ships have gone down! I was on a forum at that time where moderators decided that all posts about the event would be deleted "out of respect"-where does that end! Not only was there no discussion about the decision, it wasn't announced-confusion all round
[I'm sure it's better here].

Orwell thought we would all be under constant watch via our TV sets and only the elite would have private lives. A lot of that is now true and I like to see the look on peoples faces when you remind them that CCTV cameras aren't as significant as mobile phones tracking their every move volountarily!

I watched the live feed of the two minutes silence from Glasgow yesterday.
Impressive but some aspects? I'll leave it there out of respect and [hopefully] in good taste.
Dave W

"In The Future When All's Well" Morrissey
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.

Last edited by Dave Walsh; 29-12-2014 at 11:24.
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 13:21   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Well even on here you get a ban or at a minimum an infraction for offending people.

Right or wrong?
Sometimes we inadvertently offend others.
This is because the internet is a very difficult medium to get nuances across on....something that is said in text can offend the reader as there are no facial expressions or body language(which we take far more notice of than we realise).
I am sure that over the years I have offended some people.......we all have different views on what is and isn't offensive.
I have never ever set out to offend someone on purpose...and that is the difference. I have never been banned for expressing an opinion...maybe that is because I have tried to moderate how I have expressed the opinion.

The people who make nasty comments in the name of humour are doing it with a purpose....that purpose is to make money out of what is a tragic situation for those who have lost someone.
Old 30-12-2014, 01:20   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
that purpose is to make money
Somewhere along the line I must have missed something. Where did this one come from.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 07:28   #24
Beacon of light

Eric, I was referring to the comedians who use bad taste jokes in their shows......but I think this gives those internet trolls the signal that these comments are acceptable.
Old 30-12-2014, 13:28   #25
God Member

Quote:

Yup ... they are called "muslims."

By the way, "winky" is not a good choice of euphemism. "Wee Willie Winkie runs through the town ..... "
accyman likes this.
Old 30-12-2014, 13:41   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walsh View Post
it's a warning about surveillance
Surveillance is only one aspect of governmental attempts to control discourse, or, at least, channel free speech into acceptable directions. There are other, unofficial, bodies who also try to enforce control. Fox "News" comes to mind. As Goebbels was well aware, and, of course, Orwell in "1984" and "Animal Farm", who controls discourse controls the people. Political Correctness is the new Ministry of Truth.
Old 30-12-2014, 15:46   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post

Right or wrong?
Let me check my infraction warnings.......Seems your right

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 16:30   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Surveillance is only one aspect of governmental attempts to control discourse, or, at least, channel free speech into acceptable directions. There are other, unofficial, bodies who also try to enforce control. Fox "News" comes to mind. As Goebbels was well aware, and, of course, Orwell in "1984" and "Animal Farm", who controls discourse controls the people. Political Correctness is the new Ministry of Truth.
The Government doesn't need to do it in UK - the BBC manage quite well on their own.
Eric likes this.
Old 30-12-2014, 16:59   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
The Government doesn't need to do it in UK - the BBC manage quite well on their own.
It's a pity that most folks are convinced that what they see on any news channel is "news", the "facts."

It isn't. It's a series of editorials. Check out Fox "News" for their reporting on possible Presidential candidate, Elizabeth Warren. Even the sports. Read a report on a game you watched ... and I know you and I have been watching football for over half a century ... and you scratch your head, and wonder: "Was I watching the same bloody game?"
Old 31-12-2014, 14:03   #30
I am Banned

I see serial twitter abuser Katie Hopkins is at it again with a dig on Twitter at the poor scottish health worker who unfortunately has contracted Ebola.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..