Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2014, 14:22   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Glasgow bin wagon crash.

Here is the story Katie Hopkins' vile reaction to Ebola in Glasgow: ?Little sweaty jocks, sending us Ebola? - 3am & Mirror Online

Off topic I know but the whole thread has taken a side move.
Why on earth are people who have been working with ebola victims let back into the country without spending a period of time in quarantine. We really are a stupid country at times
cashman and westendlass like this.
Old 31-12-2014, 15:20   #32
God Member

well we let everything else in neil why not ebola

ebola probabbly has more human rights than us and will be put up in luxury hotels and given benefits

and then when it kills us off it will take our jobs

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 15:45   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Here is the story Katie Hopkins' vile reaction to Ebola in Glasgow: ?Little sweaty jocks, sending us Ebola? - 3am & Mirror Online

Off topic I know but the whole thread has taken a side move.
Why on earth are people who have been working with ebola victims let back into the country without spending a period of time in quarantine. We really are a stupid country at times
I cannot understand why NHS staff are going to West Africa when we are told that the NHS is in such a dire situation partly because of a shortage of nurses and doctors? Quite agree that all travellers should be in quarantine for the duration of the incubation period.
cashman and Eric like this.
Old 31-12-2014, 16:28   #34

I'm not sure the thread is going that OT as it's themes seem to be due respect re loss of life, not going so far with this that basic freedoms are undermined and citizens being manipulated so that anyone with a different view is "off message" and can be silenced. It's a difficult balancing act but not so hard that we all have to toe the line as happens with Facist societies.

These are not one point issues eg I would defend the BBC in most arenas but a lot of "News" coverage is clearly infantalised [usually neutered as well with a good dose of cheery irrelevant football news so we don't get too anxious about anything]. The Glasgow Tragedy/Ebola and the CSA Enquiry ongoing strange saga can all be linked in that sense.

As an example Dame Butler S appeared to be completely outrageous in her lunchtime apparently unsolicited [otherwise why was she interviewed?] views on Radio 4 at 1-15 today. The victims group was completely outraged-justifiably so in my opinion. Now [on PM 5-15] there is a much longer statement which is the same but somehow different in emphasis
Dave W

"Look out kid-they keep it all hid" Mr Bob 1965
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 16:37   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
and then when it kills us off it will take our jobs
Bit alarmist that accyman !!

A nation the majority of whom can't be bothered to wash their hands properly after going the toilet will never learn even if ebola lived next door until it's too late.

For the record: Ebola virus is easily killed by soap, bleach, sunlight, and high temperatures or drying. Machine-washing clothes that have been contaminated with fluids will destroy Ebola virus. Ebola virus survives only a short time on surfaces that are in the sun or have dried.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 16:39   #36
God Member

i reakon if you played bob geldofs ebola song loud enough it would kill the virus

sadly it would probabbly kill the patient as well

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 31-12-2014, 17:04   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I cannot understand why NHS staff are going to West Africa when we are told that the NHS is in such a dire situation partly because of a shortage of nurses and doctors? Quite agree that all travellers should be in quarantine for the duration of the incubation period.
The whole Ebola thing is a crock of media horse manure ... it has a catchy name like West Nile Virus ... "Oooo, West Nile Virus" say folks who have no damned idea what the Nile is, or where it is, and couldn't find "west" even if the sun set there every day ... come to think of it, it does. Hundreds are dying from Ebola ... somehow this seems more "tragic" (one of the most overused words in the media vocabulary) than the tens of thousands who starve to death on that unfortunate continent, or are massacred by whatever group of goons can get together enough AKs and machetes. We can conveniently forget about those things and concentrate on the new, designer issue, "Ebola". Ah well, as soon as the fad wears thin, the victims of Ebola can die ignored, along with the starving, the child soldiers, and thousands of women who are brutally raped and murdered. This rant is getting a little too serious; time for a humorous interlude:

BBC News - US woman accidentally shot dead by son, two, in Idaho Wal-Mart

(Those of you who don't find humor in this, feel free to express yourselves in conventional clichees of outrage.)

I particularly like the comment about videos and witnesses confirming that this was an "accident." Lucky for the two-year-old, eh. In Texas, there would be calls for his arrest, conviction, and execution. In Oklahoma, he would have been lynched.

What the hell was she doing with a loaded handgun in her purse ... obviously with a round chambered and safety off. Maybe there was a sale on; and she was determined to get the good deals at gunpoint.

Ah well, it turns out that there was no real problem. She had a valid CCW permit and the weight of the Second Amendment backing her up ... not to mention the NRA.

Enough of this ... I think I'll pour myself a stiff one and watch the latest episode of "Hillbilly Handfishing", a stunning tv tour de force straight from that part of the States where the most popular Hallmark greeting card is "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad" and folks think "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" is a local convenience store.
Guinness likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 18:30   #38
Full Member+

I seem to remember there has always been Ebola outbrakes in that particular area reported on the news. Its nothing new so why the big çommotion now? Scare techniques to bury other stuff that's going on right now? I think were all expected to be terrified at the moment for whatever reason. Bullocks to that, live life to the full and stick two fingers up to the establishment or whoever pulls the strings. Life's too short!
Eric likes this.
Old 31-12-2014, 18:46   #39

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hundreds are dying from Ebola ... somehow this seems more "tragic" (one of the most overused words in the media vocabulary) than the tens of thousands who starve to death on that unfortunate continent, or are massacred by whatever group of goons can get together enough AKs and machetes. We can conveniently forget about those things and concentrate on the new, designer issue, "Ebola".
It's easily explained....Ebola makes no distinction on whether you are rich or poor.....nobody with money is ever going to starve to death and they are unlikely to end up on the wrong end of a machete in some backwater hovel

Then again maybe thats just me being my usual cynical self
Eric likes this.
Old 31-12-2014, 19:27   #40
God Member

Lightbulb Re: Glasgow bin wagon crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
It's easily explained....Ebola makes no distinction on whether you are rich or poor.....nobody with money is ever going to starve to death and they are unlikely to end up on the wrong end of a machete in some backwater hovel

Then again maybe thats just me being my usual cynical self
Not quite true there ... the rich, and that means us too, as citizens of rich countries, always have a much better chance of surviving natural disasters ... and if Ebola ain't "natural" I'll eat my shorts.

Imagine the headline: "Floods in Bangladesh: Thousands Dead and Missing." And in the catastrophic floods in Calgary and surrounding area: Four. We are equipped to deal with shiiite. Because we have the bucks to buy the equipment.

There have been no recorded cases of Ebola in Canada. But in all regions there are world class designated medical facilities ... Kingston General is one, by the way ....all geared up to treat cases of Ebola that will never appear. So, I guess if I get Ebola, I won't end up sleeping on a floormat in some fly infested backwater hovel.

And the rich always have the option of leaving.
Old 31-12-2014, 21:52   #41

You're probably right, if we have 4 people dying in a flood we have hours and hours of 'in depth' reporting with experts blaming polar ice caps, weather isotherms and not enough people turning on their taps to fill the kettle during the commercial break in Coronation Street.

Oh and I'll see your Hillbilly Handfishing and raise you our The Only Way Is Essex (commonly known as TOWIE), the English home grown tv tour de force where our young southern inbreds have taken to anal bleaching to hide the brown star..your shout..raise or fold?
Eric likes this.
Old 31-12-2014, 21:57   #42
God Member

Quote:
You're probably right, if we have 4 people dying in a flood we have hours and hours of 'in depth' reporting with experts blaming polar ice caps, weather isotherms and not enough people turning on their taps to fill the kettle during the commercial break in Coronation Street.

Oh and I'll see your Hillbilly Handfishing and raise you our The Only Way Is Essex (commonly known as TOWIE), the English home grown tv tour de force where our young southern inbreds have taken to anal bleaching to hide the brown star..your shout..raise or fold?
Call. And raise you a "Little Mosque on the Prairies."
Old 31-12-2014, 22:12   #43

All in with Citizen Khan
Eric likes this.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:29   #44
God Member

Quote:
All in with Citizen Khan
Just gotta see that. All I have is "Pawnagraphy."
Old 01-01-2015, 11:30   #45
God Member

Quote:
Hundreds are dying from Ebola ... somehow this seems more "tragic" (one of the most overused words in the media vocabulary) than the tens of thousands who starve to death on that unfortunate continent,
people starving wont kill us or put us in danger but the second something happens that may come and bite us on our arses happens its a big problem

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..