Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2014, 16:42   #1
Full Member+

Glasgow bin wagon crash.

Just watching the news about the bin wagon that has lost control and crashed in Glasgow. What a terrible shame that people have lost their lives whilst out shopping at Christmas. Sounds like the driver has had some sort of medical problem at the wheel, terrible tragedy again for Glasgow again after the New Year helicopter crash. Thoughts go to the families of victims.
Old 22-12-2014, 20:15   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Glasgow bin wagon crash.

I'm watching Sky go news now and the reporter at the scene of the lorry crash says they have no idea why the crash happened, no mention of medical problems.
Old 22-12-2014, 20:17   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I'm watching Sky go news now and the reporter at the scene of the lorry crash says they have no idea why the crash happened, no mention of medical problems.
There was on BBC News at 6-00, they said driver was slumped oer wheel as it ran down street, and could be medical reasons.
Old 22-12-2014, 20:21   #4
Beacon of light

Sadness for the families of those killed.
Christmas will never be the same again for them.
My thoughts are with them.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 07:45   #5
Senior Member+

It's terrible to lose a family member or close friend in any circumstances but losing them like this with Xmas round the corner must be devastating.My thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected by this sad incident.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 23:24   #6
Full Member+

One family have lost 3 members. I cannot imagine what they must be going through. I hope all the families involved have much needed support from other family members and friends. Certainly should make the rest of us feel very fortunate to have our family around us this Christmas.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 23:30   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Tragic, Glasgow has had 2 Christmases on the run now,
Old 24-12-2014, 09:59   #8
I am Banned

I see a 19 year old oik has been arrested for posting an offensive tweet regarding the Glasgow bin lorry tragedy.
There was a similar occurence after the helicopter crash last year.
Lock em' up and throw away the key. Smug arrogant gits eh?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 15:49   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
I see a 19 year old oik has been arrested for posting an offensive tweet regarding the Glasgow bin lorry tragedy.
Its a good job the internet wasnt around when challenger exploded i along with thousands of others would have been arrested for the jokes we shared

i havnt read the remark the person has written but im pretty sure he or she has made themselves out to be enough of a pillock and police involvment isnt justified unless of course hurt feelings are top of the crimes to beat list

theres always a sick joke that goes along with a tradgedy so im guessing these arnt allowed anymore ?

to be clear im not justifying the persons actions or agreeing with any remark made i just think its pathetic the police getting involved over somones sick remark.Unless of course he or she made threats to kill etc
Eric and Accyexplorer like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 10:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
That's how we used to deal with mental illness, not sure how effective it was.

And I do think that it's a form of mental illness - the inability to see that something is going to massively offend a large number of people or seriously upset an individual or small group who are still grieving.

I've not seen the post either, but for the police to get involved it must have been something targeted and inciteful or deliberately hurtful. "Comedians" like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr seem to get away with it in front of an arena crowd, so in their case it must be the audience who have the mental issues. The former made jokes about Katie Price and her disabled child, the latter about Reeva Steenkamp within days of Pistorius' conviction.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 12:02   #11
Beacon of light

I thought it was just me who thought such 'humour' was offensive.

I know that 'black humour' is a coping mechanism for those who have been through traumatic experiences....but only those in that situation are really entitled to use it.....anyone who employs it to fill up their bank balance is crass.(and that is the polite word for it)
Old 28-12-2014, 16:48   #12
God Member

last i knew it wasnt illigal to offend someone

cracks me up how people get so upset over people they never knew or will most likely never know yet have most likely laughed at a sick joke themselves or even told one

it seems to be fashionable in this country to jump on the offended binwaggon oops bandwaggon and express outrage at an action most have probabbly done themselves at some point.

most people spend hours been offended before they actually know what they are been offended by

iv offended people in the past infact i have no doubt i have but i have also been offended in the past and i can say that it never made me feel like diaing 999

like STUDIO says the only way police would or shoudl get involved is if there was direct threats to people made or specific action was said to be taken.Otherwise there shouldnt have been any police involvment if it was only a matter of something been in bad taste

the internet is full of idiots our prisons cant cope with real criminals yet alone the millions of idiots with keyboards
Eric and Accyexplorer like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 28-12-2014 at 16:53.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 20:07   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I thought it was just me who thought such 'humour' was offensive.
When you think about it, most humor is "offensive". That doesn't mean it isn't funny. I don't believe we have much control over what we find "funny". I wonder how many people choke down a laugh in order that they don't be seen to be politically incorrect.

Here's my only original joke: Buddy of mine was in my kitchen, helping himself to one of my precious Bomber beers. He called out, "Hey, you got fruit flies in here." I replied: "Yeah, they came out of my closet." Did I offend the GLTGs Nah. Just a brain fart. Don't make me a homophobe.

Sad, though, what happened. Not easy to lose loved ones at any time. But, at Christmas ... that makes it worse.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 21:15   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
last i knew it wasnt illigal to offend someone

cracks me up how people get so upset over people they never knew or will most likely never know yet have most likely laughed at a sick joke themselves or even told one

it seems to be fashionable in this country to jump on the offended binwaggon oops bandwaggon and express outrage at an action most have probabbly done themselves at some point.

most people spend hours been offended before they actually know what they are been offended by

iv offended people in the past infact i have no doubt i have but i have also been offended in the past and i can say that it never made me feel like diaing 999

like STUDIO says the only way police would or shoudl get involved is if there was direct threats to people made or specific action was said to be taken.Otherwise there shouldnt have been any police involvment if it was only a matter of something been in bad taste

the internet is full of idiots our prisons cant cope with real criminals yet alone the millions of idiots with keyboards
No.....it isn't illegal to offend......just bad taste.
I do know what offends me... and where possible I avoid the stuff.....because I know it offends me.
Old 28-12-2014, 21:18   #15
Beacon of light

The stuff I find offensive, i don't find funny Eric. In fact much of what passes for comedy these days is as funny as toothache.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..