Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2016, 16:23   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Go away Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I can assure you I give as much credence to what is printed in newspapers as I do to anything you post on here.

From The Daily Torygraph:
Crematorium cross removed to avoid offending non-religious visitors - Telegraph
Councillor Ken Moss, who oversees Hyndburn cemeteries, said this reflected the increasing number of humanist and non-religious funerals held at the venue.
Yeh give Neil that much credence?
yerself likes this.
Old 19-12-2016, 17:00   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sorry to say Margeret, but that money is for that project only, if they (council) tried to use it for anything else they would lose the lot.
No matter whose money it is, its better spent on us than given to them hords in france with the hands out gime gime gime, a good 90% are of military age, and should be fighting for better conditions where thay came from
So it's better to spend it on something that's neither wanted or needed than lose it? Surely that's just spending for spending's sake,bit like the stupid bus lane in Clayton!
And if it isn't allowed to be spent on anything other than the proposed town square project how on earth would it find it's way to the people in France, a totally unrelated & needless comment about the migrant community which imo has no place in a discussion about Accrington town centre
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:20   #48
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Ken Moss was the councillor who defended the council officers in the areas he is responsible for when they followed government guidelines and removed the cross. You won't find many councillors that will do that, I can think of a few that would have pushed all that blame onto officers doing their jobs correctly. Don't believe everything you read in the papers.
Seem to remember that although it was a guideline, Mr Moss put through the removal of the cross?
Barrie Yates likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:27   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So you reckon removing those trees in front of the Market Hall is using the money correctly Neil?
I don't know much about the details of that project and have only seen plans online. I would like to be able to see the magnificent building without trees in the way though.

We need trees, lots of them and I've been involved in projects to plant trees but they need to be in appropriate places. Horse Chestnut trees are not appropriate for that location. The are too big and too close to the building.

The plans include the planting of new trees in different locations.
Old 19-12-2016, 17:28   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Seem to remember that although it was a guideline, Mr Moss put through the removal of the cross?
Like I said before don't believe everything you read.
Old 19-12-2016, 17:37   #51

Quote:
Like I said before don't believe everything you read.
Does that include the above?
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 19-12-2016, 17:46   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
So it's better to spend it on something that's neither wanted or needed than lose it? Surely that's just spending for spending's sake,bit like the stupid bus lane in Clayton!
It must be wanted by someone because a group came up with the plans to be submitted to the lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
And if it isn't allowed to be spent on anything other than the proposed town square project how on earth would it find it's way to the people in France, a totally unrelated & needless comment about the migrant community which imo has no place in a discussion about Accrington town centre
The mind boggles on that one. I ignored it as a xenophobic comment but maybe it should have been deleted
Old 19-12-2016, 18:13   #53
Beacon of light

I really don't see the point of removing two mature trees to replace them with less mature trees. As for being able to see the building, I think the trees add to the building rather than detract from it...and it isn't really such a beautiful building, it is a provincial market hall that has a bit of masonry decoration on it.
Trees soften the hard edges in towns and they are ever changing.
This tinkering around the edges of the town do nothing concrete to improve the place.
It is just throwing good money after bad....and it doesn't really matter that it isn't money from the council coffers...if it is just being spent because it is ther to be spent, but will not do anything ,other than a bit of top dressing, then it is pure folly.
That is just my opinion.(and I know it is worth very little)
AccyMad, cashman, odders and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 00:57   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
maybe he just likes taking wood down

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 16:34   #55
Senior Member+

He will have a wood burner at home
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 17:14   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, indeed. It is farcical.
But as mentioned in a previous post if you are asking yourself for permission, you are sure to get it. Success on a plate,nae bother.

What is dafter is that they will chop down two beautiful mature trees and replace these with striplings...at what cost.
They could leave the two horse chestnuts and save the money for the chopping down,the purchase and the planting of new trees...but it would not surprise me if(when it all comes out) that axing these trees is part of the T's and C's of getting the lottery funding.
Perhaps a certain person is looking for a good supply of fuel for his log burner?

Last edited by Neil; 20-12-2016 at 17:18. Reason: fixed quote
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 17:23   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
The are too big and too close to the building.
I hadn't realised you were an expert on arboreal matters.
Old 20-12-2016, 17:26   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Trees face chop in £3m town square plans - Accrington Observer
There you go Son...this tells you all about it.
As usual the 'we know best brigade' know best, IF, there had been folk complaining about the trees those that know best would have moved heaven and earth to ensure the trees stay where they are, giving all sorts of reasons why they must remain.

Lets face it, nobody gets out of their cars to take a closer look at the Market Hall, clear away the trees and they have even less reason to get out of their cars, (o.k. we've glanced at the market hall now let's head for a town where we can do some shopping, no need to park up).
Old 20-12-2016, 17:47   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I hadn't realised you were an expert on arboreal matters.
seems an expert on everything.
yerself likes this.
Old 20-12-2016, 19:14   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Instead of moaning about this work that other people have given up their own time to make happen why not get involved with the decision making process yourselves?

As usual very few want to help until the end and then many pop out of the woodwork to say it's all been done wrong.

Tags
tosspot moss

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..