Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2016, 05:01   #1

Go away Moss

Get back to wherever you came from. You can't be serious about cutting another tree down.Ossy wasn't a great saga now you want to cut the market hall tree.

Last edited by Neil; 19-12-2016 at 17:29. Reason: Removed swearing
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2016, 11:15   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
re: Go away Moss

Deep breath, breathe in, hold & slowly release & repeat! Now then, could you please inform/highlight for us knowlessmen just what it is thats got you all of a tizzy? From what I can make out, it has something arboreal as its foundation?

An explanation or article would probably help.
Less likes this.
Old 18-12-2016, 11:18   #3
Beacon of light

They are planning to chop down the horse chestnut trees in front of the market hall.
The powers that be seem to think they detract from the elegance of the building.
If I can find a link I will post it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 11:19   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems some FOOL is on about cutting all the trees down in front of the Market Hall dave, i wasn't aware what clown was behind this folly. but now i am.
Old 18-12-2016, 11:23   #5
God Member

Didn't think anyone could cut down those trees unless there was something wrong with them & certainly not for aesthetic reasons
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 11:23   #6
Beacon of light

Some fool has made a comment that all the trees should be cut down as it is a town centre, not a forest. Since when did a couple of trees constitute a forest?
Less likes this.
Old 18-12-2016, 11:24   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Didn't think anyone could cut down those trees unless there was something wrong with them & certainly not for aesthetic reasons
The council have applied for planning permission to cut them down.
Old 18-12-2016, 11:25   #8
Beacon of light

Trees face chop in £3m town square plans - Accrington Observer
There you go Son...this tells you all about it.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 18-12-2016, 11:28   #9
Beacon of light

And if you notice, they are cutting down two majestic mature trees and the replacing them with others....oh and a statue of a dog(?)...it is the Pals dog so maybe that makes it alright.
Old 18-12-2016, 11:32   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The council have applied for planning permission to cut them down.
So they've applied to give themselves permission?? - Blimey Moses, I've heard it all now
Thanks for the link Margaret but having read it can't believe that bit that says the community as a whole supported the plans, since when has 41 people constituted a whole community?
And it's not just a statue of the Pals dog, they're also proposing a sculpture of Stanley's groundsman's dog from 1962 plus a squirrel - jeez Louise!;

Last edited by AccyMad; 18-12-2016 at 11:40.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 11:33   #11
Beacon of light

Seems like a sure fire way to succeed.
Old 18-12-2016, 12:52   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Trees face chop in £3m town square plans - Accrington Observer
There you go Son...this tells you all about it.
Cheers Ma. On reading the article it makes mention of 6 new benches (forgive my ignorance, but weren't several benches removed not so long ago?). As to the Chestnut trees, personally I'd rather see a couple of majestic "Conker trees" as some scrawny Birch for shade & contrast.

Then there's the suggested sculptures, unless they're on raised plinths these things have got "Compo" scrawled all over them (much like the guaranteed graffiti that'll adorn them shortly after unveiling) as people will be tripping over them left, right & centre making them "Priceless" in more ways than one. And lets not forget to mention the unbridled attraction these "Bronzes" will be for P'keys & assorted other illicit scrap metal collectors!
Old 18-12-2016, 12:55   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
And if you notice, they are cutting down two majestic mature trees and the replacing them with others....oh and a statue of a dog(?)...it is the Pals dog so maybe that makes it alright.
There is just one thing wrong Margaret, first of all we must define the Accrington Pals, those from Burnley & Chorley would not even under torture admit to being an Accrington Pal, Burnley would only refer to them selves as Z company, Chorley as Chorley Coy of the 11th East Lancs, they had a dog as a mascot.
Back to the Accrington Pals, they had a mascot, it was a big Tom Cat, and when they left Acc for Caernarvon, Albert Sant had it draped round his neck.
If all this hoorah is about the Accrington Pals, then let's keep it to the Accrington Pals. let Burnley & Chorley do their own thing.
Besides which Accrington had the biggest casualty rate .
Out of the total Casualties for the 11th East Lancs that day.
720 men went over the top 196 of those casualties were Accrington Men, Church, Clayton, Gt Harwood, Rishton & Ossy also had Casualties total for all them was 131.
What riles me about all this hoorah about the Accrington Pals is
how many so called ex spurts have come out of the woodwork since Bill Turner died, most of them have done no more than read his books, and then quote and use passages as if they were their own.

In 2006 Bill and I did the Pals 90th Aniversary at the Haworth, no long winded committee meetings, we just got our stuff together and trimmed a few walls up wi pictures & other info on the PALS, and from feed back it was an eye opener for all, & we had no complaints
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 13:13   #14
Beacon of light

Yes, Retlaw. It just seems to me that if there can be a tenuous link to the lads who gave their lives for our freedom it will be used(or as in this case, abused).

Accymad, I cannot see how the views of such a small number of the population can be considered to be of any value at all...but they are grasping at straws and you can be sure that this will go ahead and make Accrington even more of a graveyard.

The benches will be put in just for a photo shoot...when folks start sitting on them to have a fag or a yarn, they will be removed because for goodness sake we don't want the front of the market hall to look untidy.

You cannot polish a turd.
AccyMad and boxermum like this.
Old 18-12-2016, 13:20   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

41 outa a population of oer 40.000 is really taking the pee outa the general public in my eyes,

Tags
tosspot moss

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..