Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 09:12   #1
God Member

Goats and idiots dont mix

sorry, but just after reading this story on the Accrington Obsever http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/...ks_pets_cornerwebsite just feel compeled to say this "owd' woman has been around long enough to know or should know that billy goats butt , any old sob story about how she didn't know these happen is total bull , her age is enough to tell you that , 73 yrs old means she was born in 1935 an grew up during years of privation when folks all over the area kept 'hen-pens ' and allottments with various animals and children were raised how to 'react/tolerate' different animals , kids allways used to go down to the 'hen-pens' with old bread and feed the animals but knew enough to keep their distance ........this story is about as believable as that fat lard arsed woman from the butty shop who feels her civil rights have been abused by serving skiving kids .
enough said ................. let the shrieking (?) and moithering begin
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2008, 11:10   #2
God Member

Re: Goats and idiots dont mix

Well as secretary of the Friends of that park I can add that this unfortunate incident is probably going to mean that we aren't allowed goats in the park any more.

What will happen to this goat is anyone's guess at the moment.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:03   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

There's a very large park in Warrington, the grounds of the former home of the Greenalls (Lord Daresbury), that has a Pets' Corner. There are various fowls, rabbits, guinea pigs, and a few deer, sheep and goats and a couple of ponies. All the animals are in fenced off enclosures so they can be stroked through the fences but can't harm anyone. Children are sometimes, by invitation only - you have to ask in advance, allowed in the enclosures with the keepers to feed the animals and muck them out. It's very well supervised so nobody gets hurt and nobody hurts the animals. It's worked well for about the last 20 years.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:17   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

All the animals in Rhyddings park are in fenced off enclosures. The goat butted the fence so the lady must have had her face very close to it. The wording in the paper does not make it clear that the goats are behind a fence.

Below is a quote from the Observer website.

Quote:
As I moved back I realised I had been attacked by a goat which continued to buck, narrowly missing me and hitting the fence. It was such a shock as I didn’t even see it coming.

The situation was really dangerous as the goat also kicked me in the temple, causing a deep cut and severe bruising. I was really lucky not to be knocked unconscious.
If the lady had moved away from the fence how could he have kicked her in the temple. I can honestly say I have never seen him kick. I believe he would only kick if you got behind him and he felt threatened.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well as secretary of the Friends of that park I can add that this unfortunate incident is probably going to mean that we aren't allowed goats in the park any more.

What will happen to this goat is anyone's guess at the moment.
Who's decision will that be ?

Presumably every time some dumb animal misbehaves it will get removed from it's environment ? Lets hope this policy is applied to the town centre
Old 11-07-2008, 12:22   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Who's decision will that be ?
I suppose it will be a joint decision between HBC and The Friends. Officially the goats belong to HBC. HBC are the land owner and the goats are registered with DEFRA in HBC's name.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
All the animals in Rhyddings park are in fenced off enclosures. The goat butted the fence so the lady must have had her face very close to it. The wording in the paper does not make it clear that the goats are behind a fence.

Below is a quote from the Observer website.

If the lady had moved away from the fence how could he have kicked her in the temple. I can honestly say I have never seen him kick. I believe he would only kick if you got behind him and he felt threatened.

That puts an entirely different complexion on things. She must have had her face pressed up against the fence and, if it continued butting/kicking her, she obviously didn't move away. I was once butted by a goat, in Wales, not on my face - just the opposite. I can assure you I didn't hang around long enough for it to butt me twice.

I hope the goat doesn't have to be removed, it's not his fault if fools antagonise him. Remove every animal that could be a potential hazard to children and there'll be nothing left. Even the mild-mannered guinea pig can nip fingers - even if by accident
Old 11-07-2008, 13:17   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its a ****** when a silly owd goat can cause such a furore, feel sorry fer the animal.
Old 11-07-2008, 13:42   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
That puts an entirely different complexion on things.
Thats why I explained about the fenced enclosures.
Old 11-07-2008, 14:05   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thats why I explained about the fenced enclosures.
Agree Neil, did read badly .. I puzzled about that.

That's a shame, hope you can sort things out so you can keep him .. he is a handsome devil...

Perhaps a double fence and a trench like they do with the lions/tigers in a zoo ... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:31   #11
Resident Waffler

The story is badly written. It makes it sound like goats wander freely around the park. She should have had enough sense to realise that if you go up behind a goat and startle it it is going to react. I hope the poor goat does not have to be removed.

A few years ago I was taking our dog for a walk past some allotments in Ossy. There was a horse or three in one of them. I stopped to talk to the horses.One horse started to nibble my jacket and wouldn't let go. I eventually got it loose. A couple of days later I took my daughter and her friend round there to show them the horse - I was wearing the same jacket and got nibbled again. More fool me. Perhaps I should have sued to owner.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:51   #12
Senior Member+

If they do seriously start thinking about getting rid of the poor goat then maybe we could petition and put comments on it RE what we think about them getting rid of him?and why they shouldn't....cos to be honest i would rather get rid of that woman than the goat.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:55   #13
God Member

i wonder if this daft old bat is going to try and put a claim in for injuries

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 14:57   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The story is badly written. It makes it sound like goats wander freely around the park.
Was it written by the Nutty Butty journalist?
Old 11-07-2008, 15:14   #15
God Member

Quote:
Was it written by the Nutty Butty journalist?
Cute ... and I wonder if those kids she mentions, the ones that can't read, or who don't bother to read are the one's from the Nutty Butty
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..