Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is our Anthem relevent?
I like our Anthem as it is 8 33.33%
Change it for Gods sake! 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2006, 11:28   #1
Always EVIL within us

God Save the Queen

Firstly were you webbers aware that there are 6 or even more verses to our National Anthem (for U.K.ers that is) - and what I thought was the second verse is actually the third?

This is the officially recognised 6 verses:
first publicly performed in London, 1745

1. God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

4. Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

This Text and Tune is often credited to Henry Carey, 1740, although there is controversy with many votes, including the British monarchy's, for anonymous. On official occasions, only the first verse is usually sung, and occasionally verse 3. The tune has been used by many countries for anthems and hymns.

OUCH! Sorry you Scots

Personally, I would like to keep this as our anthem but I know that many people are in favour of a change, What about you? and has anyone had the occasion to sing more than 2 verses?
Old 19-03-2006, 11:49   #2
I am Banned

Re: God Save the Queen

Nope i say change it personally i prefer 'land of hope & glory' or even 'Jerusalem' LOL I think a National Anthem should be about the good of our Country rather than the Royal heirachy. But there are Countries with worst national anthems than our one at the moment & even if we stick to god save the queen it will still mean a lot as English pride anthem during the World Cup LOL

Though have to say interestingly i wasn't aware there were more verses to it although only bit i know proper is lalallalala ... god save the queen pmsl in fact know Jerusalem lyrics much better maybe that could be reason as we arn't like the Americans having the national anthem as morning prayer everyday pmsl
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 12:33   #3
God Member

I say change it to Land Of Hope & Glory; we should be celebrating everything that is good in the UK (the success of the people); not celebrating the existance of a silly old bat living off public money for no apparent reason.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 12:41   #4
God Member

Personally I think we need something completely new to reflect the diversity in the UK/GB . We are no longer that Island fortress but a multicultural country if economic ties to the 4 corners of the world. Time we reflected that. Owd Liz can stay but sad old Chic aint to sure of so maybe it should be Billy boy next in line.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 13:30   #5
God Member

I like Land of Hope and Glory and I love Jerusalem so I say change it for one of them. Though have to say that I would hate it if someone chopped around with the current God Save our Queen song - I really don't like it when political correctness makes changes to things like that.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 14:40   #6

I too think it should be Land of Hope and Glory. God save the queen is so out of date.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 14:47   #7
God Member

It has served the country well for almost three hundred years. Beethoven thought we were truly blessed in having the tune as our national anthem.
It embodies all of the sentiments that made our country great and unique in the world. If it aint broke, and it ain't, why fix it?

The whole point about things that are traditional is that they remain the same from generation to generation.
Old 19-03-2006, 15:24   #8
God Member

There's also the point of moving with the times, Acrylic-Bob.
God Save The Queen embodies a Britain which has not existed for decades; the all conquering empire of a state.
Old 19-03-2006, 16:10   #9
God Member

Well shakes you going to write a new song for us then?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 19-03-2006, 16:17   #10
God Member

Somehow I don't think the Royalists would approve.....lol
Old 19-03-2006, 16:25   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Somehow I don't think the Royalists would approve.....lol
If you love the Queen doesnt mean they should ignore the country as a whole. Besides we might not be a monarchy for ever. She could get a line in the song to keep them happy.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 19-03-2006, 16:52   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
If you love the Queen doesnt mean they should ignore the country as a whole. Besides we might not be a monarchy for ever. She could get a line in the song to keep them happy.
Good point...even The Pistols' 'God Save The Queen' has its charms
Old 19-03-2006, 17:10   #13
God Member

Quote:
Good point...even The Pistols' 'God Save The Queen' has its charms
All we need now is a song to top it. Gonna be hard.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 19-03-2006, 17:49   #14
God Member

Quote:
not celebrating the existance of a silly old bat living off public money for no apparent reason.
Agreed. Stick her and Phil the Greek in a home for the bewildered. I'm sure there must be better uses for Buck House than having these two wandering around bouncing off the walls, she doesn't even know how many rooms it has.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 18:46   #15
God Member

Any sugestions as to what to use buck house for? If they were to go we would def need a new anthem.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..