Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 11:54   #16
Loz

Re: Going over the top Again

I never won a thing at sports day but loved taking part in all the events,we had a laugh,parents were invovled and it never did me any harm not winning it just made me more determined to try and win!
That was only 11 years ago,how did we get where we are today?
Very sad IMO.
Old 15-07-2008, 14:13   #17
God Member

Stupid .... the only race I ever won was the sack race .... I agree with jambutty, scabby knees and elbows are part of what it means to grow up ... and if outdoor activities are limited and have the fun taken out of them, there is so much more temptation to sit in front of a screen (like we do) and get flabby ... there was a lot of talk in Canada about kids in the junior leagues playing no contact hockey .... gimme a break; hockey is contact ... but it never got too far. Oh, and my apologies for agreeing with you jambutty
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 15:13   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Going over the top Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Stupid .... the only race I ever won was the sack race .... I agree with jambutty, scabby knees and elbows are part of what it means to grow up ... and if outdoor activities are limited and have the fun taken out of them, there is so much more temptation to sit in front of a screen (like we do) and get flabby ... there was a lot of talk in Canada about kids in the junior leagues playing no contact hockey .... gimme a break; hockey is contact ... but it never got too far. Oh, and my apologies for agreeing with you jambutty
What is it with some of you people?

You just can’t help getting a dig in.

You really should grow up.
Old 15-07-2008, 16:39   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
salmonella? lol

thats what my dad used to call me and my biggest little brother... sam'n'emma/salmonella lol
Thanks ema for pointing kate in the right direction, thought that everybody knew Sam and Ellabut obviously not
Old 15-07-2008, 16:40   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Is being discussed now on Radio 2.
Funny that kate I was listening to Radio 2 last week in dock, first time for may years, quit good really
Old 15-07-2008, 16:42   #21
Resident Waffler

I remember playing hockey at school and getting whacked round the ankles many a time. Has that been banned yet?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 16:47   #22
Yank in King Art's Court!

All these type restrictions can also be seen in the increased obesity amoung our youth, at least here in the States. I'm sure it's been mentioned, some schools here attempted to ban tag cause it could demoralize the taggee. My gosh, is there not any "GAME" that doesn't have a "winner and a non-winner?"

How will some of these kids face the challenges of real life when they start on in the workforce. "Sorry boss, the project you gave me to complete could be a bit difficult. Oh sorry worker, I should have had more consideration for your feelings before asking this of you!"

What hogwash! Scapes, tears, hurts, pain, failure all make us stronger not weaker eh?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 16:57   #23
God Member

How do you learn coordination and balance if you cant participate in ALL sports? This forum is full of pc madness threads, shows what this country is becoming, maybe they dont need the excercise if they ban full fat milk in schools as mentioned in another mental thread!
Old 15-07-2008, 17:17   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I remember playing hockey at school and getting whacked round the ankles many a time. Has that been banned yet?

To my knowledge whacking you round the ankles has not been banned yet Willow, should we form a queue ?
Old 15-07-2008, 17:38   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
What is it with some of you people?

You just can’t help getting a dig in.

You really should grow up.
Why grow up when there is too much evidence around that it leads to singleminded arrogance, and humorless didacticism.
Old 15-07-2008, 17:49   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
All these type restrictions can also be seen in the increased obesity amoung our youth, at least here in the States. I'm sure it's been mentioned, some schools here attempted to ban tag cause it could demoralize the taggee. My gosh, is there not any "GAME" that doesn't have a "winner and a non-winner?"

How will some of these kids face the challenges of real life when they start on in the workforce. "Sorry boss, the project you gave me to complete could be a bit difficult. Oh sorry worker, I should have had more consideration for your feelings before asking this of you!"

What hogwash! Scapes, tears, hurts, pain, failure all make us stronger not weaker eh?

Brian
Well said .... and risking the minor hurts of participation is often well rewarded .... I remember the trials of learning to skate as an adult after I came to Canada, the embarassment of having toddlers skate rings around me, the sore ankles etc. .... but I learned, I don't do it all that well, Wayne Gretzky's records are in no danger from me; but on a crisp winter's night, I can go down to the rink at the back of City Hall, put on my skates and have a helluva good time ... then take off the blades and off to the Pilot House for a pint or two. The rewards are there, but they have to be earned
Old 15-07-2008, 17:59   #27
Resting in Peace

Some points brought out in the discussion I heard on Radio 2 was that :-

1. If we do not encourage competitive sports, how the hek will we ever shine in the Olympics.

2. They talked about pushy parents, and how they sometimes had to cordon the parents off ...LOL as sometimes fights broke out and hysteria on the touchline. Well, don't object to parents giving their support ... but we have all come across this type of parent! So what, was all part of the fun.

3. Children have got to learn that everyone cannot be a winner .. some are good at sport, other academics.

Sports Day is meant to be fun and part of it is receiving a certificate for winning, don't think any children feel any long term self-esteem effects 'cause they never get one, do you ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 20:22   #28
God Member

With the weather we're having your lucky if you get a sports day.

Sports day has been cancelled this year, as it was last year, at our school.

I know my daughter's class had been practising for it but I don't know exactly what races there were going to be. I won't know now as I won't be seeing it.

I can't understand why some schools will not have winners and losers.

As has been said, this doesn't relate to the adult world at all.

Children need to be taught to lose, to know that you win some, you lose some and to accept this with good grace.

C'est la vie.
Old 15-07-2008, 20:57   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
With the weather we're having your lucky if you get a sports day.

Sports day has been cancelled this year, as it was last year, at our school.

I know my daughter's class had been practising for it but I don't know exactly what races there were going to be. I won't know now as I won't be seeing it.

I can't understand why some schools will not have winners and losers.

As has been said, this doesn't relate to the adult world at all.

Children need to be taught to lose, to know that you win some, you lose some and to accept this with good grace.

C'est la vie.

Good point ... it is important to discover that losses are often merely setbacks ... and unless you are the Canadian hockey team, you can't win every competition (sorry about that) ... one of my favorite sports heroes is George Chuvalo ... I know, not a household name ... George was the Canadian heavyweight champion who fought, and lost to, all the greats: Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Patterson, .... but in his 98 (I think) fights George was never knocked off his feet, and Ali said of him that he was the toughest man he had ever fought .... losing did not stop him from being a great boxer. And in life too George lost, he lost his kids to drugs and suicide, but it didn't stop him; he took on a new career talking to young people about the dangers of drugs. Now in his 70s George is still going strong. George tried to win every time he entered the ring, but he didn't let losing hold him back
Old 15-07-2008, 21:09   #30
Senior Member+

Tag is a contact sport LYY...... instead they play cat and mouse....the kids either wear a special belt with a 'tail' that sticks on with velcro (at the schools with money for such things) or they tuck a sash thingy down the back of their pants and the cat has to catch them, the games over when the cat has the mouses tail.............

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..