Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 07:51   #1
Resting in Peace

Going over the top Again

SACKED RACE!

School bans sports day favourite

14th July 2008
By Bill Mosley

CAMPAIGNERS have slammed education chiefs for banning the sack race and three-legged event in case kids get hurt.

Children were meant to be doing the traditional races at an Edwardian themed sports day today.

But they were dropped because of fears that a child might fall over and get injured.

The decision has been slammed as “completely over the top”.

Teachers at John F Kennedy Primary in Washington, Tyne and Wear, dropped the traditional races after discussions with staff from Beamish Open Air Museum, where the sports day will be staged.

About 375 children aged four to 11 are taking part in the event, dressing in period costume and playing old-fashioned games as part of the school’s centenary celebrations.

Simon Woolley, head of education at Beamish, County Durham, said: “We looked at a three-legged race and a sack race but we want to minimise the risk to the children.

“We had to assess which of the activities were liable to cause a risk. We thought we would be better to do hopping and running instead because there was less chance of them falling over.”

The decision has come under fire by the Campaign Against Political Correctness group.

Founder Laura Midgely, of Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, said: “It’s health and safety rules gone mad. It’s completely over the top. Three-legged races are very constructive and involve teamwork ... they are good for a number of reasons. It’s a great shame.”

“Why should these activities be so dangerous when they’re fine in every other school? We certainly had no problems with these events when I was at school.

“The worst thing that could possibly happen is the children fall over. They’re going to fall over doing any event aren’t they?”

Teacher and organiser Gill Hanley said: “An awful lot of schools haven’t done these kind of activities for a long time, so I don’t see that it’s a problem.

“We decided we had too many events anyway and we wanted the easiest things that we could get for the children to take part in.”

Schools have already banned pastimes like conkers, fearing parents will sue over injuries and others axed football, saying it was anti-social. One school even banned skipping after a girl fell over.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view.../Sacked-race-/

Last edited by Mick; 15-07-2008 at 07:58.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2008, 07:54   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Going over the top Again

In the present climate and the litigious society being created, can we really blame institutions for not taking the risk?
Old 15-07-2008, 08:29   #3
God Member

and now footballs are banned from school too....because they are too hard, it really makes my blood boil, i've just been in to school this morning to collect the footy that Reece had taken off him yesterday

i'm sure they make these rules up as they go along

incidently.. since Reece has been at THAT primary school we have never ever had any 'team' participation at the sports days, and the parents have never been involved in any of the races, it has always been like just another PE class on sports day

Last edited by flashy; 15-07-2008 at 08:31.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 09:00   #4
Resting in Peace

Is it any wonder that we are not competative in the sports world anymore, Can't play footy kids may get hurt, god rugby has no chance. Its not forign imports thats killing our national game, its the mamby pamby society we now live in
Old 15-07-2008, 10:06   #5

God forbid that the little darlings get a scraped knee, most parents (I think) are all for kids having a full life, playing football and the like, it's the pc brigade again, and of course the people who sue at the drop of a hat...........lots more people are trying to cover their backs, and who can blame them, but it's such a shame.
Old 15-07-2008, 10:17   #6
Resting in Peace

Have they banned the egg and spoon race too for chance they slip on the slimy contents ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 10:30   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Have they banned the egg and spoon race too for chance they slip on the slimy contents ?
No kate, but they could get Sam and Ella singing at their morning assembly
Old 15-07-2008, 10:32   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No kate, but they could get Sam and Ella singing at their morning assembly
Whose Sam and Ella Jaysay ?
Old 15-07-2008, 11:02   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Going over the top Again

All I can say is that I spent most of my school years with scabby knees and elbows from playing sports and the general rough and tumble of growing up. I can still remember the agonising sting from iodine or TCP but it didn’t stop me playing football etc.

I rarely came first or even second in any of the sports day or swimming gala events and it didn’t harm my development. In fact it was the reverse. I learned to try harder if I wanted to win.

As one teacher put it, “If it wasn’t for the rest, there wouldn’t be a first.”

In a nutshell!

BAH! HUMBUG!
Old 15-07-2008, 11:09   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

kids are not allowed to be kids anymore, pathetic.
Old 15-07-2008, 11:13   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Whose Sam and Ella Jaysay ?
salmonella? lol

thats what my dad used to call me and my biggest little brother... sam'n'emma/salmonella lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:15   #12
Senior Member+

Tyler's sports day was last week and all they did was relay races....... hopping, skipping,carrying a bean bag on a tennis racket, bouncing a ball....... al team events.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:19   #13
God Member

Its ridiculous, why dont we just wrap them in cotton wool, and keep them inside till their 18! How sad as it become that our children cant do the normal things. At Ellies schools sportsday there were no winners or losers, how can that be and whats wrong with competition. Personally when I was at school, I never won at sportsday it never stopped me from wanting to take part and I dont think I've any issues from being a loser
Old 15-07-2008, 11:23   #14
Resident Waffler

No wonder kids today get bored. All the fun is being taken out of childhood. We used to have trees in our schoolyard. We used to climb them. We used to fall out of them. We lived. The trees are no longer there now. Such a shame.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:35   #15
Resting in Peace

Is being discussed now on Radio 2.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..