Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Rowlf
  • 1 Post By taddy
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger
  • 1 Post By Big Joe
  • 1 Post By landhusweg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2018, 14:16   #1

Good Black Pudding Sellers Please

Hello everyone. I live in the North East where there is an ample supply of bad Black Pudding . The good lady and I will be going back down to Accrington sometime over the next couple of months. As a child I remember they used to hold a completion for butchers who made the best Black Pudding and they were crowned the Black Pudding King. When back in Gods country I aim to pick up some proper Black Pudding but don't know who the best suppliers are now. Any recommendations for butchers that make their own including locations/addresses would be greatly appreciated. In anticipation of a good response. Many thanks to all.
Old 06-03-2018, 16:32   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Good Black Pudding Sellers Please

While I am not versed in the delights of Black pudding(wouldn't eat it at any price)...if black puddings are desired, wanted, fancied....himself prefers to get them from Bury....we go to a stall on the market there....you can buy them hot to eat on the spot or you can have 'em bagged up to bring home.
Tattersalls and Proctors used to be the local suppliers way back in the dim and distant past alas, they are no longer in business....so I can't recommend any of the local butchers...I am not aware of any that make their own...they tend to buy them in.
Big Joe likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 18:12   #3
Full Member+

Margarets husband is right.The very best black puddings come from Bury. If you are visiting Accy no need to trail over there though. Donald Smith's stall in the corner of Burnley market hall sell the Bury ones. Hope you get some. Enjoy. Delicious.
Big Joe likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:06   #4

My wife alway's gets my black puddings from a stall on what is left of Accy's outside market, the lean ones are very good, ; although I cannot vouch for the fatty ones as I am not over fond of them.

Fifty or so year's ago, a group of friends and I used to meet up for a game or two of snooker every friday night in the Burnley Road Bowling Green Club, the steward at the time used to put on black puddings and we young fella's had a compatition to see who could put the most Colemans English Mustard on them.

Your's, Taddy.
Big Joe likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:43   #5
Senior Member+

The stall on the market - the name may be Bob's - sells high,low and no-fat black puddings. - all are very good.
Big Joe likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 22:36   #6

In Haslingden they have a competition to throw them on top of a tall pole.

There is nowt as weird as folk.
(And the folk in Haslingden must be really weird - lol)
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
In Haslingden they have a competition to throw them on top of a tall pole.

There is nowt as weird as folk.
(And the folk in Haslingden must be really weird - lol)
The black pudding throwing competition used to be held yearly in a pub car park in Stubbins near Ramsbottom but maybe the venue has changed over the year's
Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:35   #8
God Member

[QUOTE=Big Joe;1209701]Hello everyone. I live in the North East where there is an ample supply of bad Black Pudding .

problem with black puddings is they seem to vary from one area of britain to another. do not like the scottish ones but they do not like ours either. if you only like the north west or yorkshire type you need to come on down. there is a decent butcher in the indoor market in hartlepool though, furthest from the entrance and longways with a fruit and veg opposite.
Big Joe likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 13:36   #9

Monkey have just picked up your post. Ironically Ive just been to the PRH (Peoples Republic Of Hartlepool) but will give that a go and keep you posted. Thx mate.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:49   #10
Full Member+

Had a walk round Accy "MARKET" today looking for 2 fatty black puddings, sorry to say they were elusive.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 21:22   #11
Full Member+

I must admit, even though I don't like black puddings, I've heard the best are from Bury and often see them advertised in cafe's.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:57   #12

In the fifties and sixties, I used to buy my black puddings from Southworth’s outside stall on the market. The same goes for tripe. These were the best that money could buy.
Probably no longer around?

Cheers
Philip
hilleluk likes this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:54   #13

This market stall was owned by my Great Aunts Annie and Elsie and my Uncle Tommy. I have never liked tripe or black Pudding, my dad used to say it was the water in Accrington that made the tripe taste so good.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 14:18   #14

Asda stock Bury Black Pudding in a pack sliced one of the few things British made.
Aldi do Lancashire BP but its a bit dry.
Old 18-03-2018, 14:42   #15
Beacon of light

My other half says that you cannot beat the one from Bury Market.
I can't say because it is not something I eat.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..