Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2014, 18:01   #61
Full Member+

Re: Good or Bad News - All Dog's To Be Chipped/Insured

I understand the horror when a child is attacked / killed by a family dog and cannot understand anyone having a dog is that has the potential to kill or maim anyone, especially the large breeds, anywhere near children. Having said that, we have a large bull terrier cross that came from a rehoming centre who's only ever shown gentleness in the three years we've had him but I would never have chosen a dog like him when my kids were young. But I think you are being very harsh in saying the loss of a child in these circumstances is not enough punishment, the parents must be mortified, I can't imagine anything worse on your conscience for the rest of your life.
Old 19-02-2014, 18:04   #62
Beacon of light

There are so many irresponsible dog owners.
No family dog should be left in the presence of a baby or young child.
Having dogs insured or chipped would not prevent such incidents as have happened recently.......these were not just irresponsible dog owners, but irresponsible parents too.
hedman2003 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 18:18   #63
Full Member+

I agree Margaret, and I think chipping and insuring dogs are, by and large, going to be done by responsible owners anyway. But there are a lot of idiots who get the so called 'status dogs' who live childish and irresponsible lives that shouldn't have the responsibility of children in the first place.
Old 19-02-2014, 20:11   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There are so many irresponsible dog owners.
No family dog should be left in the presence of a baby or young child.
Having dogs insured or chipped would not prevent such incidents as have happened recently.......these were not just irresponsible dog owners, but irresponsible parents too.
Here Here Margaret I fully endorse what you said. We would not leave Max alone with any child although he loves children and plays a lot with our 8 year old Grandchild.A dog is after all an animal, capable of hurting of killing.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18   #65
Senior Member+

I'm not sure if I agree with it or not.
Will folk keep their details upto date if they charge for updating info? Maybe some, but a lot won't bother (the scallywags of Accy certainly won't,that's if they bother to chip them in the first place).
Then there's the issue of tumours.....I'm not sure on exact facts an figures are but I won't put my dog at risk.
Here is a link for those that like a read
CHIPPED PETS DEVELOP FAST-GROWING, LETHAL TUMORS

On top of that there's policing it.I think that's going to be difficult to say the least,our government does like to do things on the cheap after all
Is it not the 'law' that dogs are suppose to have collars with contact info on? How many folk listen to that 'law'?
Will there be a exemption in the 'law' for dogs unsuitable to be chipped?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:30   #66
Senior Member+

That is a worrying thought. We have always had our dogs microchipped, and lost our last two dogs in middle age due to tumours.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I would risk an increase in canine cancer if it helps prevent children being savaged to death by uncontrolled dogs.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:54   #68
Senior Member+

I dont see your point. If a dog has cancer they could be unpredictable. There will always be certain people who will not chip their dogs There is no easy solution to tracing ownership of dogs unless they tattoo the dogs at birth
Old 01-03-2014, 11:15   #69

My point is a child's life must have priority over that of any pets.

I do understand how this could seem harsh we all consider our animals as part of the family.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:18   #70
Senior Member+

I totally agree with that.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:26   #71
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
unless they tattoo the dogs at birth
A Bulldog wearing lippy & with a fouled anchor tattoo on its shoulder? Seen a few of them wandering round the metropolis late on of a Friday/Saturday night!

Nah! Seriously though, the first dog we had was tattooed with a number inside his ear. We got him from the Dogs home late 80's. This apparently was standard in Germany prior to developing a chipping process & I'd say the rules & regs over here are far more stringent than in UK, it's very rare you'll find a Hound out & about without their human.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I would risk an increase in canine cancer if it helps prevent children being savaged to death by uncontrolled dogs.
How exactly does chipping your dog prevent children being savaged (to death) by uncontrolled dogs?
The Dangerous Dogs Act was a law introduced in 1991 following a spate of attacks by aggressive or uncontrollable dogs.Recent headlines suggest it's not working though.

(Take a deep breath,I'm not having a go)

password--Accyweb
Old 01-03-2014, 12:08   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
How exactly does chipping your dog prevent children being savaged (to death) by uncontrolled dogs?
The Dangerous Dogs Act was a law introduced in 1991 following a spate of attacks by aggressive or uncontrollable dogs.Recent headlines suggest it's not working though.

(Take a deep breath,I'm not having a go)
In itself it doesn't, however in conjunction with making owners responsible for their dogs, then hopefully if this and other rules for dog ownership are toughened up then maybe, just maybe, the number of irresponsible owners will reduced thus reducing the number of sad headlines we see in the papers.
Of course even if all dog owners were responsible there would still be occasional attacks even a normally good, well treated dog can suddenly turn.

As for the act, unlike the dogs, it has no teeth, it can't even nip at the problem.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50   #74
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
The dangerous dog act is a worthless knee jerk piece of legislation brought about in response to public outcry! All dogs have the potential to be dangerous it's in their nature, but the influence of the owner can reduce or increase these responses.

The act itself covers; Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, Fila Braziliero & cross-breed derivatives, yet many bites & attacks are the result of the family pet which isn't one of those listed above. I know this from personal experience because in the last couple of years I've had the pleasure of being nipped by a Rotty in the calf (drawing blood), had my left hand punctured between thumb & forefinger by a terrier cross ( lots of blood & a trip to A&E) & the most recent, only this Tuesday just I had the hem of my right trouser leg savaged by some hairy Russel type rat! (Highly embarrassing but no blood). Like I said all of these incidents involved dogs not listed, but their actions could & should class them as dangerous.

Police & Military use Doberman Pinchers, German Shepherds, Rottweilers & Belgian shepherds, as various attack, guard or war dogs so surely these must be deemed more aggressive & as such dangerous but they aren't! Which reinforces my personal view that the governments hasty policy was more in response to outraged screaming than to an actual thought out preventative policy.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
In itself it doesn't, however in conjunction with making owners responsible for their dogs, then hopefully if this and other rules for dog ownership are toughened up then maybe, just maybe, the number of irresponsible owners will reduced thus reducing the number of sad headlines we see in the papers.
Of course even if all dog owners were responsible there would still be occasional attacks even a normally good, well treated dog can suddenly turn.

As for the act, unlike the dogs, it has no teeth, it can't even nip at the problem.
I know,I was having the crack
Maybe the powers that be should penalise those irresponsible owners rather than everyone though (it's a bit like having a motor). They hit responsible owners but those that disregard the law carry on taking the pish while we're left to foot the bill.
The way this country's going it's only a matter of time before humans are chipped (except immigrants and those how disregard the law) .
I can see some benefits from chipping ,for example I paid £450 for my dog an a extra £20+ would be a good investment if I had it stolen,they removed the collar then it was later found,but to put it at risk of cancer on the off chance....Not in this lifetime.

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..