Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2011, 15:41   #1

Thumbs up Good service - Bad service

Would we be teetering on the edge of possible libelous action if we had a thread based on Good and bad service we have received from businesses in and around the Accrington area?

I'm sure it would be useful if we could recommend the good services and denounce the bad. let me give you an example, without me naming names before I risk giving the mods / admin a coronary

I recently had reason to employ the services of no less than 5 computer businesses based in the hyndburn area before I finally found a company that was not only competent but excelled in the field of I.T. The previous 4 took my money and in some cases left me with greater problems

At a time when we have to be even more careful with our money, wouldn't it make sense to promote good services? It might even encourage Accrington businesses to raise their game in good customer service if they think they might be named on Accrington Web

And how about those day to day bargains we come across! Where's the cheapest prices for whatever commodity we all use? There's real competition going on in Accrington at present between ASDA, TESCO, and MORRISONS. All of them play the loss leader game, so, where are these loss leaders? we don't have to buy anything else from the store but we can save a mint on some of their items. I know that prices vary from day to day and so, it wouldn't be fool proof. It might encourage more of us to keep an eye on such a thread to help save ourselves a few bob

PS: If this has been suggested before and I have missed it you have my apologies - but then if it does already exist - why isn't it being made the most of? See, G you have me paranoid already
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2011, 15:50   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Good service - Bad service

clotted cream at Aldi...79 pence for 113grms. Ok it isn't a huge amount but, then it just gives us a little taste of Cornwall with our strawberries.
Also at Aldi, a full cucumber for 39 pence.......Celery 39pence......great for those salad days
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 16:06   #3
Give, give, give member

As long as we don't have libelous posts made by rival businesses, which has happened in the past.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 17:26   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As long as we don't have libelous posts made by rival businesses, which has happened in the past.
Didn't know there was some body else on here with connections to a bakers
Old 14-07-2011, 17:40   #5
Give, give, give member

We are all interested in reading the views of established members, when it comes to recommendations, or reviews.

However it becomes a little more murky when someone joins here in order to slag off a business. Which has happened quite a few times.

Legally, and morally, it's dangerous ground, if people's motives for publicly airing their views are unclear.

Old 14-07-2011, 20:07   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

worry not mikejoed, if i discover owt thats crap i soon say so. also if its good.
Old 14-07-2011, 20:29   #7

It is murky ground, and personally think if the poster who sees good business, informs the proprietor of AccyWeb(all can join for free), meaning more clarity as to why they signed up. Makes good business sense to me, show your human, not just out to make a couple of quid, but do actually care about the town and its people. I remember months+ or so Less tried setting up a business part of the forum, if you search I think you will find it, try a post on there

Here it is:-
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ory-52719.html
Sorry it was Roy, but Less looked to have tried

Last edited by odders; 14-07-2011 at 20:33. Reason: Found Link
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 21:16   #8

Check out mot's in hints and tips. As a case in point!!!!
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 21:19   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Check out mot's in hints and tips. As a case in point!!!!

You mean people try and tout their business on here ?
Old 14-07-2011, 21:47   #10
Give, give, give member

I recently had a t-shirt printed in Accrington for someone special, yes myself, to be worn at a presentation event.

I won't name names, just yet, as there might be a better section of the forum, to further advertise my outrage.

I was in a hurry to attend the presentation, so quickly changed into the shirt, without checking the quality of what I'd ordered from them.

Imagine my shame and horror, after enduring the titters whilst the press took photographs of the presentation, when it was revealed what was emblazoned on my chest.

Not, as I wanted, 'Simply the Best', but...

'Simple Beast'!

I'll never, ever darken their doors again.

Your's ever so faithfully,
Rindy.
(Rindy's Textile Graphic Emporium.)

Old 14-07-2011, 21:53   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I recently had a t-shirt printed in Accrington for someone special, yes myself, to be worn at a presentation event.

I won't name names, just yet, as there might be a better section of the forum, to further advertise my outrage.

I was in a hurry to attend the presentation, so quickly changed into the shirt, without checking the quality of what I'd ordered from them.

Imagine my shame and horror, after enduring the titters whilst the press took photographs of the presentation, when it was revealed what was emblazoned on my chest.

Not, as I wanted, 'Simply the Best', but...

'Simple Beast'!

I'll never, ever darken their doors again.

Your's ever so faithfully,
Rindy.
(Rindy's Textile Graphic Emporium.)

Bring it back, I'll take the Beast bit off
Old 14-07-2011, 22:00   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Bring it back, I'll take the Beast bit off

Oh I would never use this forum to slag off your company.

Which is an excellent one, I might add. Shamelessly.

(Though thanks for that tenner.)

It was t'other lot.

Old 15-07-2011, 04:50   #13
Resting in Peace

Please be very careful no business or company names can be used as accyweb can get into trouble
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:25   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Please be very careful no business or company names can be used as accyweb can get into trouble
So you mean I can't advertise the fact I'm going into business producing Peter Britcliffe memorabilia then mick
Old 15-07-2011, 11:05   #15
God Member

I am currently having problems with an online furniture manufacturer located in Salford.
The saga began in January and is still ongoing.
The item supplied had four manufacturing faults and they deducted £60 from the refund they gave me saying it was for transporting it back.

I went through a long rigamarole of emails and phone calls with them.
I consulted Trading Standards office several times - they advised me but did not contact them.

I eventually got that £60 back from my credit card company, but the saga goes on.
The firm is disputing that credit card 'chargeback'.

The Distance Selling Regulations make it clear that a charge for return of faulty goods is illegal, but that firm are convinced that if they tell you they will charge for return, then they can.

I haven't reported the saga before now because I didn't want to prejudice my refund.
I did leave them scathing seller reviews on a few retailers review websites.

PS don't buy leather furniture from Salford without asking me first

Last edited by MargaretR; 15-07-2011 at 11:09.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, services, shops

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..