Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2009, 17:31   #1

Government proposals to stop benefits for Alcoholics & Drug Addicts.

100,000 Alcoholics & Drug Addicts and we are funding their addictions. Is the government therefore doing the right thing by stopping benefits unless these addicts receive treatment? Will this work or is it another crackpot scheme to win over the voters?
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2009, 17:37   #2
God Member

Re: Government proposals to stop benefits for Alcoholics & Drug Addicts.

about bloody time , hip hip hooooray

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:47   #3
Senior Member+

Right thing in my book....but bet they dont implement it!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 17:59   #4
God Member

It is the right kind of thing thing to do, but then they will have to have jobs available when the benefit claimants are 'reformed' so given the current climate, could be a bit shortsighted, not much by way of surprise at all.
Old 14-04-2009, 18:04   #5

I agree fully with the idea, as long as there is help readily available on the NHS to help these people.

Also I think the idea should be extended to include all kinds of drug addicts claiming benefits e.g cigarette smokers.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:15   #6
God Member

seems reasonable to me...I would have thought they must have had some treatment to be able to get what I presume is a sickness benifit.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:16   #7
God Member

Smokers dont get benefits towards thier addiction polly, but do contribute a sizeable amount towards the benefits/nhs system.
Old 14-04-2009, 18:31   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if they will not seek help with the problem, stopping the dosh is fine by me. though n important point polly made. IF HELP IS AVAILABLE.
Old 14-04-2009, 18:56   #9
Resting in Peace

And don't forget when an alcoholic spends £100 of benefits on booze the government get most of it back.Not like the people who squander it on food.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 18:59   #10

Talking Re: Government proposals to stop benefits for Alcoholics & Drug Addicts.

AA & Al-Anon are 2 charities that could guide the government in making a firm policy on treatment. Through research I know there are different types of Alcoholics & Drug Addicts. I also have the advantage of observing & talking to certain social groups claiming Alcoholism/Drug Addiction and receiving Incapacity Benefit/Income Support/Sickness Benefit. Might I also add the average amount they claim is £45.00 more than JSA, plus Housing & Council Tax Benefits. Why should this be? Their addictions have left them incapable of functioning properly until they have a drink/fix, yet people with genuine disablities are often unable to claim anything.
So folks, would it be fair to stop all alcoholic/drug addicts claiming Sickness type benefits in the first place? Should they just be able to claim JSA or it's equivalent and live on what the rest of the population is entitled to? Maybe we should make them do some community work as part of their rehabilitation and give them the chance to prove they can and do want to work.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 20:02   #11

I think they've "floated" this idea to divert us from the scandal of MPs expenses, they won't be stopping any benefits anytime soon.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 20:07   #12
God Member

when i was diagnosed with cancer i asked at accrington benefits office for money to buy ciggarettes and the woman looked at me liek i was insane , i argued that money was given to alcholics and druggies so why not

she said if i had cancer i should give up smoking and i said well alcholics shoud give up booze and druggies should give up drugs

seemed logical to me but i dont think it sank in as i didnt get a ciggy fund to buy ciggys

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 14-04-2009, 22:51   #13
God Member

probably because this allowance does not exist.countless people have said to me that alcoholic and drug abusers get an allowance,its not true they get the same money everybody else on benefits get..dont know where this rumour comes from
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 23:54   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
probably because this allowance does not exist.countless people have said to me that alcoholic and drug abusers get an allowance,its not true they get the same money everybody else on benefits get..dont know where this rumour comes from
yes as discussed before it turns out they no longer give extra money to alcholics but reclassified them and allowed them to claim incapacity benefit and disability living allowance but they used to get extra seperate payments for booze

either way they get more money than some poor sod having to survive on job seekers allowance just because they got a habbit which is unfair

jobseekers allowance is a pittance and people struggle like hell just because they dont have a habbit to fall back onto and get extra money for

Old 15-04-2009, 00:00   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
I know what you are saying cmon but I think where it comes from is if you are able to work you are only entitled to JSA but if you are sick through alcohol/drugs you may well get ESA/IB (although IB is no longer available to new claimants) and dependant on how you are affected you may well be able to claim DLA too.

however the govt by bringing in ESA instead of incapacity benefit should help catch those that are pulling a fast one be it drink/drugs/or anything else due to the assessments they now have to go through and also for the first 12 weeks of ESA it is at the same rate as JSA

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..