Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2012, 21:47   #121
God Member

Re: Government Spy Program will Monitor you!

I have learned recently that those detector vans are a scam.
BBC admits that TV detector vans only work because Britons believe they do – Boing Boing Gadgets

They worked to reduce licence evasion just because the public had been told they did, not because they were capable of detecting anything.

If that is true, and licence enforcers have no rights to enter property, how can they prove in court that you tuned in to a live broadcast?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2012, 21:51   #122
JFT96

Having a history in electronics, my dad was a telephone engineer and I played with Ham Radio for many years, I could have told you that Margaret.
At last something we both agree on!!

I believe the onus is on you to prove you don't have a TV.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 22:08   #123

I wonder if Virgin Media and Sky are obliged to reveal the names and addresses of their customers. If so, it would be easy to cross-reference if their customers have TV licences.

Last edited by Michael1954; 28-03-2012 at 22:10.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 22:34   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I wonder if Virgin Media and Sky are obliged to reveal the names and addresses of their customers. If so, it would be easy to cross-reference if their customers have TV licences.
I don't have Sky or cable and often notice that my TV hasn't been switched on for days on end. I have no intention of replacing my TV if it ever 'died'.

The more likely scenario would be that if my PC monitor needed replacing I would just connect my TV to it and use it as a monitor only.

Then I would stop paying a licence fee.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 06:53   #125
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't have Sky or cable and often notice that my TV hasn't been switched on for days on end. I have no intention of replacing my TV if it ever 'died'.

The more likely scenario would be that if my PC monitor needed replacing I would just connect my TV to it and use it as a monitor only.

Then I would stop paying a licence fee.
But even though you don't watch that much TV you have the good sense to have a licence. They do catch people who don't have a licence as can readily be seen in the Obs most weeks
Old 29-03-2012, 06:59   #126
Beacon of light

If you buy a TV from a reputable dealer, you will have to complete a registration document which goes to the licensing body. You will have a hard job convincing the court that you do not watch TV......as far as I am aware it is illegal to receive any broadcast without a current licence.....and if you have a receiver that is capable of receiving such broadcasts, it will be assumed that you are a licence evader if you do not have a current licence.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:05   #127
Beacon of light

[I]Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a valid TV Licence. The Act empowers the BBC to make and amend the terms and conditions of a licence. It allows the government to make regulations to exempt or reduce the licence fee for certain persons in certain circumstances. It also makes it an offence for anyone to have any television receiver in their possession or under their control who intends to install or use it in contravention of the main offence (above), or knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use a television receiver in contravention of the main offence.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) requires television dealers to notify TV Licensing of all their sales and rentals of television sets. This includes analogue and digital TV sets, DVD and video recorders, digital boxes and computers (including laptops) with TV cards.

The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 define what is a 'television set' and who is a 'television dealer'. The regulations also set out the various types of TV Licence, the criteria for obtaining them, the fees payable for them (including the frequency and amount of instalments) and the different concessions available, including concessions for people who are blind or severely sight impaired, people who are over 74 years of age, people who live in residential care and people who run hotels, guesthouses or campsites.

This is from the TV licensing site......if you want to look up exactly what Part 4 of the regulations says, well that is up to you. But, in short,you are breaking the law....and you have told all of us that you are breaking the law. Not sensible is it?

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-03-2012 at 07:10.
Old 29-03-2012, 07:14   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
[I]

This is from the TV licensing site......if you want to look up exactly what Part 4 of the regulations says, well that is up to you. But, in short,you are breaking the law....and you have told all of us that you are breaking the law. Not sensible is it?
There's more sense in nonsense Margaret
Old 29-03-2012, 07:38   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
There is no need for a 'detector van'. In order to find out if some one has a TV license or not all you need is a list of addresses, say the Electoral Register, or a complete list of every address in the country. Then you just match it up to those who have not got a TV license.
Simples.
Wrighty, I would be very very careful posting how you don't have a license, it may come to bite you.
I am not doing anything unlawful .. just refusing a service that I don't want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Dont have sky either , got rid of that for the exact same reason .. sick of paying for a government propaganda machine

Quote:
[I]Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a valid TV Licence. The Act empowers the BBC to make and amend the terms and conditions of a licence. It allows the government to make regulations to exempt or reduce the licence fee for certain persons in certain circumstances. It also makes it an offence for anyone to have any television receiver in their possession or under their control who intends to install or use it in contravention of the main offence (above), or knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use a television receiver in contravention of the main offence.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) requires television dealers to notify TV Licensing of all their sales and rentals of television sets. This includes analogue and digital TV sets, DVD and video recorders, digital boxes and computers (including laptops) with TV cards.

The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 define what is a 'television set' and who is a 'television dealer'. The regulations also set out the various types of TV Licence, the criteria for obtaining them, the fees payable for them (including the frequency and amount of instalments) and the different concessions available, including concessions for people who are blind or severely sight impaired, people who are over 74 years of age, people who live in residential care and people who run hotels, guesthouses or campsites.

Breaking the law ? .. The BBC are in breach of there contract by receiving funding from the EU ....
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 11:01   #130
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have learned recently that those detector vans are a scam.
BBC admits that TV detector vans only work because Britons believe they do – Boing Boing Gadgets

They worked to reduce licence evasion just because the public had been told they did, not because they were capable of detecting anything.

If that is true, and licence enforcers have no rights to enter property, how can they prove in court that you tuned in to a live broadcast?
I've known that they didn't work for years, I didn't need the BBC to tell me.

Once a TV licence officer knocked on my door and I just said "I don't have a TV!" He said "Can I come in to check!" I said "No it's against my human rights!" The guy ticked a box and walked away. I never heard from them for about 3 years after that.

Technically if you only watch TV clips on Smart Phones you need a TV licence. Sometimes I use library computers and have watched TV shows on that - I wonder if library's have to have a TV licence these days?

Last edited by kestrelx; 29-03-2012 at 11:03.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 11:12   #131
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I am not doing anything unlawful .. just refusing a service that I don't want

Dont have sky either , got rid of that for the exact same reason .. sick of paying for a government propaganda machine

Breaking the law ? .. The BBC are in breach of there contract by receiving funding from the EU ....
That is up to the law to sort out, and believe me they are far happier to deal with people who don't have a TV licence than they are to deal with a huge corporation like the BBC.......so if you have a working TV(or for that matter a computer or laptop that is capable of receiving TV stations) and no licence, then you are breaking the law, and could be prosecuted.

It might be better to keep your mouth shut.......who knows, they may be able to trace you from the information that you have already posted.

I prefer to stay legal and follow the law of the land.....I don't consider that as stupid, but what you are doing is(stupid)...your choice!
Old 29-03-2012, 11:16   #132
Senior Member+

Quote:
It might be better to keep your mouth shut.......who knows, they may be able to trace you from the information that you have already posted.
See Margaret now you are thinking that maybe some organisations are searching the Internet for private information on people!
Old 29-03-2012, 12:08   #133
Beacon of light

No I'm not....if you read it again it says 'who knows, they may be able to trace you from the information you have already posted.'
You even mention a 'maybe' yourself.

If they can, then he is in some doo-doo right now....unless of course he doesn't have a working receiver(which I doubt most strongly).
Old 31-03-2012, 10:40   #134
Senior Member+

Quote:
No I'm not....if you read it again it says 'who knows, they may be able to trace you from the information you have already posted.'
You even mention a 'maybe' yourself.

If they can, then he is in some doo-doo right now....unless of course he doesn't have a working receiver(which I doubt most strongly).
I don't think they can - if the TV licence people could I think there'd be an outcry by civil liberties groups!

I don't think Wrighty has anything to worry about!
Old 31-03-2012, 11:04   #135
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post

I don't think Wrighty has anything to worry about!
Well i do, Rule1 of any fiddle- Keep yer big gob shut.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..