Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2012, 16:39   #1
Senior Member+

Grand National, is it wrong?

Just watched the coverage and the race, watched as Synchronised ran away and made everyone laugh, and then was gobsmacked to learn it had been destroyed after falling(early on) during the race. I have always bet on the National, I won't be next year.

2 horses died last year, as I type "Synchronised" and "Accordingtopete" have been destroyed and " Weird Al" and "Killyglen" are still being treated on the course. This is on a "safer and improved course".

I know the horses look like they are enjoying it but it's obviously not getting any safer or better, both those horses seemed in fine spirits before the race, maybe AP McCoy should have listened to "Synchronised" a little harder, it ran off and then looked very suspiciously at the first fence when he walked it down there.

( and I'm not a horse fan, I don't like them, having been bitten and trampled in the past, but this isn't right)

What does everyone else think? I had bet the grand total of £9 this year so it's not sour grapes!
Old 14-04-2012, 16:44   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Yeah, I bet on that horse, most disappointed, it should have been shot before I parted with my money!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:09   #3
God Member

Re: Grand National, is it wrong?

the grand national wasnt wrong but my choice of horse was

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:13   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yeah, I bet on that horse, most disappointed, it should have been shot before I parted with my money!

Wouldn't expect anything more from you really, I start a sensible thread that most people would have an opinion on , it's likely that there will be serious questions asked about the course and the fitness/ mental attitude of Synchronised.
Can you not , just for once, make some sensible comment and stop ruining a potentially interesting thread with your banal comments?
Old 14-04-2012, 17:18   #5
Resting In Peace

Pick the (horse) meat out of this one:

Race Horse Death Watch

It's not just Aintree or the National, it happens all the time all over the country, just we don't usually get to hear about it. Sadly but inevitably if a horse is badly injured in a fall treatment and recovery are often impossible and at least the horse is humanely disposed of swiftly.

I'm afraid it's part of the sport, and short of banning a major sporting industry and leisure pursuit it will continue, unpleasant as it may be.

After all we haven't got round to banning boxing yet and that can have equally serious consequences, but for humans.

However much you may dislike it, fox hunting, the one activity that has been banned, at least had the serious and necessary purpose of reducing the fox population among all the other criticisms that have been levelled at it. It did this at least as effectively as any methods that have had to be used since the ban.
Old 14-04-2012, 17:20   #6
Beacon of light

I don't watch the National......I don't bet on it.
I don't think it will change much Lindsay until more people give it a wide berth.
It is all about making money....nothing much about the welfare of horses......and I do not believe those who say the horses enjoy it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Wouldn't expect anything more from you really, I start a sensible thread that most people would have an opinion on , it's likely that there will be serious questions asked about the course and the fitness/ mental attitude of Synchronised.
Can you not , just for once, make some sensible comment and stop ruining a potentially interesting thread with your banal comments?
No I can't these horses live better than you or I,

Why suddenly do you find a lost cause such as this?

You posted I replied, like it or lump it.

Obviously rather than let your head rule your heart you will lump it.
Old 14-04-2012, 17:25   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Sorry Lindsay, I know you're upset but I do think you need to lighten up a bit.
Old 14-04-2012, 17:29   #9
God Member

considering the french and spanish put them on burgers i think jumping a few fences is getting off pretty lightly and if they make retirement they continue to be very well looked after.

i couldnt give a hoot if it was banned tomorrow but neither do i think human rights should be awarded to animals like some idiots insist upon although only for the cute animals it seems.

never hear anyone crying over a slug getting salted

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:31   #10

I think the Grand National is cruel I don't really like horses but it's sad to see them having to be killed when they fall.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:35   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
considering the french and spanish put them on burgers i think jumping a few fences is getting off pretty lightly and if they make retirement they continue to be very well looked after.

i couldnt give a hoot if it was banned tomorrow but neither do i think human rights should be awarded to animals like some idiots insist upon although only for the cute animals it seems.

never hear anyone crying over a slug getting salted
Yep I agree with that.
Old 14-04-2012, 17:35   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Why do horses carry on jumping the fences when they unseated the rider? Is it because they don't like jumping? Was a footballer in Italy died from heart attack today, seems animals are more important.
Old 14-04-2012, 17:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I think the Grand National is cruel I don't really like horses but it's sad to see them having to be killed when they fall.
Not all of them fall, not all of those that do fall are killed, it is a shame that it does happen but it is also a shame that horses like these are running whilst people starve in the world, whoa, whoa, and thrice whoa, I can't correct the world,

Can you?

Last edited by Neil; 16-04-2012 at 07:40. Reason: fix quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Not all of them fall, not all of those that do fall are killed, it is a shame that it does happen but it is also a shame that horses like these are running whilst people starve in the world, whoa, whoa, and thrice whoa, I can't correct the world,

Can you?
I have to say I agree with you, there are far more injustices in the world.

Last edited by Neil; 16-04-2012 at 07:40. Reason: fix quote
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 17:50   #15
Resting In Peace

Forty runners, fifteen finishers, ten fallers, two died.

It's not always racing that leads to unhappy outcomes: I copied this from a comment in the Mirror just now.

It is impossible to treat a broken leg. if a human breaks a leg they can cast it and you don't weight bear on it...if a horse does it then it is impossible to not weight bear on the leg, therefore the break becomes displaced through the weight of the horse. I lost my horse of a lifetime (not a racehorse) when she broke a leg in the field (just slipped over). She was 7 months in foal at the time and I would have done ANYTHING to save her and the foal, but it was impossible to treat and, sadly, I had to have her PTS...obviously the unborn foal died too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..