Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2014, 12:44   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Great Harwood: Farmers Market raises £4,000 for charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
.....Gaskells have been fantastic partners but a Sunday market on Towngate with chalets was initially 100% Labour - and we should take 100% credit for that.....
It wasn't 100% Labour it was 100% Hyndburn Borough Council. Unless the Labour Party purchased the chalets with their own money and built and removed them.
Less, Guinness and DAV007 like this.
Old 20-01-2014, 15:42   #17

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I do smile at those who post prolifically online and purport to know far more about things than your average man on the street because they have read a few lines of newspaper article and can therefore see what is really going on.

Graham gives a clear cut answer in writing in public and it is still disputed.

Not forgetting those 'infamous' benches that 'outraged' close to three people.

God bless keyboard warriors everywhere.
I do smile at how readily some people make an ass of themselves.

Would that be someone who posts prolifically like me with less than 800 in 10 years or someone like you that posts over 2000 in 4 years.

I don't purport to know anything more than anyone else and have never claimed otherwise (unlike you have), I read bona fide stuff, I present evidence and draw conclusions. You on the other hand apparently listen to the fairies at the bottom of your 'Rishton Towers' garden, which is obvious from your stance that only 3 people are annoyed about the benches and that you can buy anything in Accrington.

The only keyboard warrior on this forum that I'm aware of is the one that pretty much waged war on the then council leader, with thread after thread after thread on how bad he was, then promptly went to ground himself the day after he was elected.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:42   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Not forgetting those 'infamous' benches that 'outraged' close to three people.

God bless keyboard warriors everywhere.
Your contemptuous attitude does you no credit, Ken. The removal of those benches was more unpopular than you think and was just one of a whole host of moves by HBC which has reduced Accrington's appeal as a shopping centre. You don't have to take my word for it, go and see its pitifully semi-deserted state on a Saturday afternoon, compared with other town centres.

But of course, to quote the latest cliché, that's "talking the town down", isn't it? Well, I suggest that you and your fellow councillors take your heads out of the sand and face up to reality!
Less and Guinness like this.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:45   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Your contemptuous attitude does you no credit, Ken. The removal of those benches was more unpopular than you think and was just one of a whole host of moves by HBC which has reduced Accrington's appeal as a shopping centre. You don't have to take my word for it, go and see its pitifully semi-deserted state on a Saturday afternoon, compared with other town centres.

But of course, to quote the latest cliché, that's "talking the town down", isn't it? Well, I suggest that you and your fellow councillors take your heads out of the sand and face up to reality!
Face up to reality, Mr Moss has just demonstrated to me, thats impossible.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:52   #20
Senior Member+

Nobody needs to talk the town down Wyn once people have been here they can see for their selves what a dump the town center is. Filled as it is with empty shops, drunks, bag heads and scum bags , that unfortunately IS the reality.
Old 20-01-2014, 19:18   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Great Harwood: Farmers Market raises £4,000 for charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Nobody needs to talk the town down Wyn once people have been here they can see for their selves what a dump the town center is. Filled as it is with empty shops, drunks, bag heads and scum bags , that unfortunately IS the reality.

Hey, leave us drunks alone, if we didn't bother to get up and call into the Centre of town not only would the paths be green with moss, but all the take aways would have to close down and the street cleaner would be out of a job!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:23   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Hey, leave us drunks alone, if we didn't bother to get up and call into the Centre of town not only would the paths be green with moss, but all the take aways would have to close down and the street cleaner would be out of a job!
And the pubs, Less. The pubs would all be shut without your contributions!

No benches- serious.

No pubs- disaster!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
And the pubs, Less. The pubs would all be shut without your contributions!

No benches- serious.

No pubs- disaster!

Well, thank you, you have just pointed out to me that I actually have a purpose in life, I can from now on stagger proudly over our uneven pavements knowing that I and many, many, many, like me are actually keeping the pubs open for the once a year celebrating Christmas drinkers.
Old 20-01-2014, 19:51   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well, thank you, you have just pointed out to me that I actually have a purpose in life, I can from now on stagger proudly over our uneven pavements knowing that I and many, many, many, like me are actually keeping the pubs open for the once a year celebrating Christmas drinkers.
Don't underestimate yourself. We all have a purpose in life, even Graham Hartley.

Your purpose is an important one.
Graham Hartley's purpose- well, I haven't worked that one out yet.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Don't underestimate yourself. We all have a purpose in life, even Graham Hartley.

Your purpose is an important one.

Graham Hartley's purpose- well, I haven't worked that one out yet.

Don't worry, I can tell from his witterings neither has he.
Old 26-01-2014, 09:47   #26
Senior Member+

'This is no good, that's no good... everything is no good' is to often the lazy (don't care) answer which I am implicitly against.

Ken isn't one rung up the ladder. It's little reward financially for the effort made. He's making an effort. If as much time was transferred from typing absolute drivel into going to your nearest pensioners social (or engaging in some way with society), then society and those individuals would be a better off.

It's worrying behaviour because the latest prosecutions over the abuse to the lady over a female face on bank notes revealed the two perpetrators lived lonesome lives and had serious mental health problems. There appears to be a trend where keyboard warriors and trolls who sit alone behind their computer screen, particularly those who engage in personal abuse - who desperately need some form of help. From serious mental health problems to anger management.

The LT website is worrying.

Most councillors (a favourite villain of trolls) in my experience by contrast spend hours in the community giving something back and live a normal life amongst real people.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 10:29   #27
Beacon of light

It is easy to make the comment that those who criticise are lazy and don't care.Just as easy as it is for the people who say things are no good...but it doesn't make it true.I accept that councillors work hard for their wards. Maybe they do not do it for the financial reward, but for the inner sense of making their surroundings(and those of their electorate) better.
Not everything can be reduced to pounds shillings and pence.

Much has been done at the town which has taken away from it rather than adding to it.
This has been done over many years...in fact over decades...and some of it I feel was done for political point scoring, by people who had their own agendas.

These changes are very difficult to undo and especially in the recent climate of austerity.

It is absolutely no good at all to market Accrington as something it isn't. It is dishonest and will lead to further problems long term.

Accrington has to have something that is marketable - to bring traders in......traders will bring with them their own clientele.

At the moment Accrington is just another impoverished once industrial town with not much to recommend it.
(I am NOT talking down the town - just being realistic about what accrington has to offer)I am neither a keyboard warrior or a troll and I find that using those terms is both offensive and counter productive and not something I expected from you Graham.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 26-01-2014 at 10:37.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 10:58   #28

Quote:
'This is no good, that's no good... everything is no good' is to often the lazy (don't care) answer which I am implicitly against.
What would be of some good is for those with a little power to come onsite bragging about what the Council does as a team, not blowing your own political trumpet about a few things claimed to have been done by just one party.

Quote:

Ken isn't one rung up the ladder. It's little reward financially for the effort made. He's making an effort. If as much time was transferred from typing absolute drivel into going to your nearest pensioners social (or engaging in some way with society), then society and those individuals would be a better off..
You are absolutely correct Ken isn't one rung up the political ladder, he's supposed to be at the bottom of it making sure those above have a steady base.
You just assumed I meant him, perhaps you should look closer to home?
Quote:
Especially those that get one rung up on the political ladder then come back to tell everyone how little they all know.
Quote:

It's worrying behaviour because the latest prosecutions over the abuse to the lady over a female face on bank notes revealed the two perpetrators lived lonesome lives and had serious mental health problems.
Sorry, I must have missed this piece of important news could you elaborate?
Quote:

There appears to be a trend where keyboard warriors and trolls who sit alone behind their computer screen, particularly those who engage in personal abuse - who desperately need some form of help. From serious mental health problems to anger management.
When did becoming an MP make you a Doctor able to diagnose what is or isn't wrong with other people?
Quote:

The LT website is worrying.
That's a bit of isolated wandering would you like to expand on it or perhaps (using my vast medical experience) may I suggest you start taking your tablets again?
See, we can all make sweeping statements working on little or no information.

Quote:

Most Councillors (a favourite villain of trolls) in my experience by contrast spend hours in the community giving something back and live a normal life among real people.
Some people do plenty within their community, they just don't display their self importance by announcing it as a little bit of political publicity.

Perhaps if you came onsite without talking down to everyone you would get a better response?
No doubt you will return with some glowing put down, that is not the way to make friends and influence people.
Old 26-01-2014, 11:09   #29
Beacon of light

It is really easy to see where we all went wrong.
We voted the wrong person into power.
Worst of all we did it over and over again...because we were duped by the lies.
Our other fault is that we do not publicise whatever deeds we do in our own communities.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 26-01-2014 at 11:11.
Old 26-01-2014, 11:12   #30
Beacon of light

Do I have to take my pills now Nurse?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..