Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2014, 13:19   #1
Senior Member+

Great Harwood: Farmers Market raises £4,000 for charity

A conversation between Gaskell Motor Bodies, Graham Jones MP and Miles Parkinson, leader of Hyndburn Council a year ago suggesting that a farmers market be be started on Towngate in the centre of Great Harwood, has led to a Sunday market which has gone from strength to strength and is now firmly established in the calendar.

The first market took place in March and with the help and support of the local community it has grown in popularity from a few stalls to now around 30 local traders attending each market on the first Sunday of each month.

Success can be measured in many ways, for example there is the massive amount raised for local charities, it has helped to bring life back into the local economy, it is attracting visitors from outside the Borough the market was shortlisted for the Association of Town and City Management awards in the category ‘Improving the Business Mix’, new businesses have been established and existing traders have taken on new employees.

Feedback from all involved has been very positive. The charities involved have welcomed the support and opportunity to be involved, traders have commented it has made a significant difference to their business by increasing their income and establishing useful business opportunities elsewhere.

Councillor Clare Pritchard says “It’s been a real pleasure to support the development of the farmers market. The wooden chalets we have provided have enhanced the look and feel of the market and have been very popular. The market has galvanised the whole community and helped to regenerate the local economy, provided much needed support for local good causes and reinforced the sense of pride local people have.”

Louise Gaskell said; “We’re really pleased to see the how the Farmers Market has developed and grown in popularity. It’s not only a great day out but raises money for local good causes, so if you haven’t been yet, please come along on Sun 2nd March to see for yourself.”

Everyone is looking forward to an even better 2014 with the first market due on Sunday 2nd March 2014 (the application form will be live on the Hyndburn BC website from the start of February).

Last edited by g jones; 17-01-2014 at 13:22.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2014, 14:27   #2

Re: Great Harwood: Farmers Market raises £4,000 for charity

Yes, the monthly market is popular. It's a pity the weekly Friday market isn't doing as well. The last time I looked there was just one stall, which was selling pet food.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 22:18   #3
Senior Member+

Can someone confirm;
its the 1st Sunday of each month?
What is the address/post code for towngate where the market is located?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 22:47   #4

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
A conversation between Gaskell Motor Bodies, Graham Jones MP and Miles Parkinson, leader of Hyndburn Council a year ago suggesting that a farmers market be be started on Towngate in the centre of Great Harwood, has led to a Sunday market which has gone from strength to strength and is now firmly established in the calendar.

The first market took place in March and with the help and support of the local community it has grown in popularity from a few stalls to now around 30 local traders attending each market on the first Sunday of each month.

Success can be measured in many ways, for example there is the massive amount raised for local charities, it has helped to bring life back into the local economy, it is attracting visitors from outside the Borough the market was shortlisted for the Association of Town and City Management awards in the category ‘Improving the Business Mix’, new businesses have been established and existing traders have taken on new employees.

Feedback from all involved has been very positive. The charities involved have welcomed the support and opportunity to be involved, traders have commented it has made a significant difference to their business by increasing their income and establishing useful business opportunities elsewhere.

Councillor Clare Pritchard says “It’s been a real pleasure to support the development of the farmers market. The wooden chalets we have provided have enhanced the look and feel of the market and have been very popular. The market has galvanised the whole community and helped to regenerate the local economy, provided much needed support for local good causes and reinforced the sense of pride local people have.”

Louise Gaskell said; “We’re really pleased to see the how the Farmers Market has developed and grown in popularity. It’s not only a great day out but raises money for local good causes, so if you haven’t been yet, please come along on Sun 2nd March to see for yourself.”

Everyone is looking forward to an even better 2014 with the first market due on Sunday 2nd March 2014 (the application form will be live on the Hyndburn BC website from the start of February).
First and foremost the Gaskells farmers market is really well worth a visit....

but...

That is one heck of a sneaky post...

A conversation...would that be where Gaskells asked the council for permission to transfer their already fairly successful farmers market from their bodyshop to a more high profile Towngate?

Gaskell?s farmers? market supports local charity

Supporting development...Would that be where the council said 'ok' and chucked in a couple of chalets that they had previously failed to use successfully and would otherwise have ended up on the next bonfire or left to rot next to the infamous benches?

Soundbites like 'galvanising communities', 'regenerating economies', and 'reinforced pride' are just that..politspeak..this is acumen by a local businessman getting some advertising, helping his community and local charity.

Its successful because of the work and effort of Gaskells pulling it all together with minimal input from politicians/councillors.

It speaks volumes that you and Councillor Pritchard waffle on about how much HBC, and in particular the labour party has contributed, yet the spokeswoman of the true main contributor, Louise Gaskell, just says 'come along and enjoy'.

Why couldn't you just afford the credit where it's due instead of claiming this as a labour victory?
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 17-01-2014, 22:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Can someone confirm;
its the 1st Sunday of each month?
What is the address/post code for towngate where the market is located?
The Duke Of Wellington pub faces the Town Gate and its postcode is BB6 7DE. Yes, it's the first Sunday of every month. Have a look on Google, searching Great Harwood Farmers Market for further information and photos.

Last edited by Michael1954; 17-01-2014 at 23:04.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 02:18   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
..politspeak..
Back in the 70s, when I was buying cattle for Canada Packers, I used to walk through acres of this every day.
Guinness and DaveinGermany like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 09:24   #7
Beacon of light

Maybe the answer to regenerating the dismal market in Accrington is to put it into the hands of someone with commercial expertise.
A market like this in Gt Harwood that draws people is to be applauded, encouraged and the strategies used to foster this success should be used where there has been such failure in the past.
This is a bit like the 'flea market' that is on in Accrington on a Thursday.
This is busier than the main market because on the whole the stalls are full(some would say full of tat - but everyone knows that one mans tat is another mans treasure).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 22:26   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
First and foremost the Gaskells farmers market is really well worth a visit....

but...

That is one heck of a sneaky post...

A conversation...would that be where Gaskells asked the council for permission to transfer their already fairly successful farmers market from their bodyshop to a more high profile Towngate?

Gaskell?s farmers? market supports local charity

Supporting development...Would that be where the council said 'ok' and chucked in a couple of chalets that they had previously failed to use successfully and would otherwise have ended up on the next bonfire or left to rot next to the infamous benches?

Soundbites like 'galvanising communities', 'regenerating economies', and 'reinforced pride' are just that..politspeak..this is acumen by a local businessman getting some advertising, helping his community and local charity.

Its successful because of the work and effort of Gaskells pulling it all together with minimal input from politicians/councillors.

It speaks volumes that you and Councillor Pritchard waffle on about how much HBC, and in particular the labour party has contributed, yet the spokeswoman of the true main contributor, Louise Gaskell, just says 'come along and enjoy'.

Why couldn't you just afford the credit where it's due instead of claiming this as a labour victory?
No that's not right at all. I'll tell you exactly what happened.

I spoke several times about GH Friday market with Miles P and what we could do to revive a GH market long before any Sunday market.

We met on Towngate with the clear plan for a Sunday market. We had no chalets at that stage. That was part of the early vision. Sundays, Towngate, chalets.

Miles and I stood on the Towngate and agreed we would set up a farmers market and agreed the chalets would help. Rob Gregorovic (council officer) turned up as he had been asked. He blurted out to our surprise that he thought Gaskells had either had just set up a Sunday market at their place as there was a road sign advertising it.

Miles and I discussed the possibility of Gaskells moving to Towngate (rather thwn the council doing it) in partnership. We wanted to engage with Gaskells and any other community group.

Miles P set the wheels in motion. Sorted the chalets purposefully built for GH. 1 at first. Then 2 more. Then 2 more. He asked Gaskells (maybe thru RG) if they would do a Sunday market on Towngate. They agreed. It has been a great partnership. The council promote the market with Gaskells and provide help. Gaskells also play a full part making it work. Especially Louise. It's been very productive.

In the beginning there were a few stalls. Within a few months there were plenty.

I am delighted Gaskells are involved. They have been a huge part of the success. However the initial plans of Miles and I were totally separate to Gaskells. Both came together.

Gaskells have been fantastic partners but a Sunday market on Towngate with chalets was initially 100% Labour - and we should take 100% credit for that - and Louise is fully aware it's important people know what their representatives are doing for them. Im proud of that fact and don't mind telling people how hard Labour is working for Hyndburn.

The first Sunday market at Gaskells was 100% Gaskells.

Clare Pritchard did a lot of the organising from the Council perspective to make it happen. The pricing was agreed.

Then we had a little dirty politics. 'Political rivals' telling stall holders the £30'rent for the chalets wasnt going to charity. It never was as it was the fake up and down and storage costs. Gaskells weren't happy and neither were we.

That was ironed out.

Miles ordered 5 more chalets. I have not spoken to him about their use. They did appear in Accrington but that didnt work out as well as Harwood has.

They are there for all community groups to hire across the Borough for the many events that ocurr if requested.

As I said they were bought one at a time as a trial in GH. Common sense!

I hope this puts you fully in the picture and you can rest easy in the safe knowledge that your In The Know hasn't told you quite the truth.

I was at the heart of it so I am familiar with what did and didn't happen. Shame I had to come in correct you. Would have been better if your have been right first time of alternatively said nothing you could t back up.

Last edited by g jones; 18-01-2014 at 22:32.
Old 18-01-2014, 22:42   #9
Senior Member+

Sorry for one or two typos. Typed on my iphone with 3pt type and all thumbs!
Old 18-01-2014, 23:04   #10

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I'm not 'in the know'...I read stuff, like my original link, and this..

Farmers' market boost for Great Harwood (From Lancashire Telegraph)

First two paragraphs puts an alternative slant.

I don't doubt that you and Miles had a chat, whilst looking at two stalls and a meat van. Strange that you'd look at Harwood and imagine a Sunday market yet not think of doing the same whilst buying a pasty in Greggs on Broadway considering that you are selling Accrington as a market town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Would have been better if your have been right first time of alternatively said nothing you could t back up.
It's your round mate

Don't think anyone doubts the work you guys are putting in, just dispute the direction you take
Old 20-01-2014, 09:21   #11
Common Sense Member

I do smile at those who post prolifically online and purport to know far more about things than your average man on the street because they have read a few lines of newspaper article and can therefore see what is really going on.

Graham gives a clear cut answer in writing in public and it is still disputed.

Not forgetting those 'infamous' benches that 'outraged' close to three people.

God bless keyboard warriors everywhere.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 10:07   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Great Harwood: Farmers Market raises £4,000 for charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Especially those that get one rung up on the political ladder then come back to tell everyone how little they all know.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 11:18   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I do smile at those who post prolifically online and purport to know far more about things than your average man on the street because they have read a few lines of newspaper article and can therefore see what is really going on.

Graham gives a clear cut answer in writing in public and it is still disputed.

Well fer the first time Ken, i am saying loud n clear yer telling lies, I know far more than 3 people very annoyed about those benches,n as fer keyboard warriors,funny how yeh seem to only come on these days when it suits yer purpose. yeh just gone down in my estimation.
Old 20-01-2014, 12:28   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

Hahah I think it was 4 people
Old 20-01-2014, 12:38   #15
God Member

Quote:

That's a bit like saying 'reported' crime figures are down. The real figures are probably up but everybody knows there is no point reporting it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..