Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2007, 13:17   #136
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: greg pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I would definitely have voted for you if I'd been residing in the St Andrew's ward at the time of the last local elections!
Quick call an ambulance Gayle has just had a heart attack
Old 20-01-2007, 14:14   #137
Resting in peace

If you notice Wynonie has been a bit crafty here and qualified his response.

Quote:
wynonie, I would definitely have voted for you if I'd been residing in the St Andrew's ward at the time of the last local elections!
(IF i'd been residing in St Andrews Ward) get it IF.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:50   #138
Super Moderator

Don't know where you get the idea from that I've got a downer on Gayle. Although I've never had the pleasure of meeting her, I'm of the opinion that she is a diligent and hard-working individual who would go the extra mile for her constituents, if she were ever elected to the council.

The fact that she's a member of a party whose leaders are hypocritical, incompetent and display a deep contempt for democracy is neither here nor there. We all have our little faults!
Old 22-01-2007, 09:34   #139

Hi

I hesitate to add to this thread but felt I ought to explain one aspect of why I voted for the war, and I certainly didn't mean to ignore the views of people in Hyndburn. To be honest I don't know what the views of everyone in Hyndburn was at the time, but I guess like most of the country it was fairly evenly split (depsite the large campaign against the war polls showed that public opinion was divided). My point was that, even if there was a majority against the war, on such a vital issue MPs had to make a choice on what they thought was right for the country. All MPs had a variety of pressures on them in the run-up to the vote - the views of constituents, family, friends, colleagues, party members, whips and so on. I decided, after a lot of thought, that I had to do what I believed was right and then face the consequences, which might mean losing my seat. I said at the last election that 'sometimes you have to do what is right rather than what is popular' and I stand by that, but that doesn't mean ignoring the views of my constituents. It does mean would rather lose doing what is right than win by being false to you.
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 09:57   #140
Resident Waffler

Thank you Greg for taking the time to come and explain here.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 10:51   #141
God Member

Well at least we know now the reasoning behind your descision Greg. Sometimes we all have to make a hard choice in our lives that wont be popular.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 12:34   #142
Resting in peace

Thank's for the input Greg, I, probably along with some other members of accyweb, realise a lot of the Iraq discussion is carried out with the benefit of hindsight. The initial invasion was to rid the World of Saddam Hussein, and not to create a new 'Vietnam'.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 15:16   #143
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

on such a vital issue MPs had to make a choice on what they thought was right for the country. All MPs had a variety of pressures on them in the run-up to the vote - appreciate your input greg, was a difficult dilema granted,my view has always been- an M.P. first and foremost should always represent his constituents and to me not one of them did.many views have changed since the war i realise that.again thanks for your input.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..