Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 18:17   #16
God Member

Re: 'growing your own veggies' (year 2)

clever arse

now can someone please help me out with my original question?
Old 01-02-2009, 18:18   #17
God Member

pps ........if any accywebbers have any olive tree advice i`d be grateful..
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 18:20   #18
God Member

I`ve broken my garlic bulbs down into cloves and put them in a cool, light area in a tray with my onion sets so when the weather improves and the soil gets warmer i`ll just pop them in the ground and off we go....nowt to it.....
Old 01-02-2009, 18:22   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Why don't you plant in the ground Shaz instead of the tubs?
Old 01-02-2009, 18:26   #20
God Member

Neil, i'm lazy and can't be bothered digging up that crappy stuff they call soil, plus i can move the tubs about depending on where the sun is if they've been in the sun too long, i can move them to the shade for a while (dont want them getting sunburnt)

Pipples, do i have to have some sort of green shoot on the garlic before i can plant it?
Old 01-02-2009, 18:29   #21
God Member

Nope...straight in and the shoots will appear, the ones i planted in november are firing up, even in this cold weather............they are roughly the size of spring onions at the moment
Old 01-02-2009, 18:31   #22
God Member

so, i break a whole bulb of garlic up, and just plant it? just like that? no peeling or owt?
Old 01-02-2009, 18:32   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
so, i break a whole bulb of garlic up, and just plant it? just like that? no peeling or owt?

Thats exactly right.................
Old 01-02-2009, 18:33   #24
God Member

Pointy bit up and a couple of inches down and give `em a bit of room...........oh and by the way is it just shop bought or seed garlic.?
Old 01-02-2009, 18:46   #25
God Member

shop bought
Old 01-02-2009, 18:49   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
clever arse

now can someone please help me out with my original question?
I've already told you, even in tubs outside its still too cold, you can start things inside in pots, to transplant when it comes warmer. Tubs are ok and so are the plastic bags you get builders sand in, but its still too cold, just be patient. Wait till your chest gets better.

Guess who popped out of hiding.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 18:52   #27
God Member

WALTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

i grew EVERYTHING in the tubs last year without any trouble at all, planted the spuds in tubs in February last year and they where perfect by July

now shut up about that bloody chest freezer its gone and your not having it lol
Old 01-02-2009, 18:53   #28
God Member

Quote:
shop bought

Just asking as the seed garlic is just a bit better for being pest resistant, my shop bought has done ok , The range had seed garlic for £1.99 for 2 bulbs and i think they had a couple of different varieties
Old 01-02-2009, 18:55   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Just asking as the seed garlic is just a bit better for being pest resistant, my shop bought has done ok , The range had seed garlic for £1.99 for 2 bulbs and i think they had a couple of different varieties

ahhh, might pop down to the range this week then, its literally a 5 minute walk from my house, i'd never have thought about buying veggie stuff from there (says her who buys her compost from the range and comes home with a free trolley in the car)
Old 01-02-2009, 18:55   #30
Senior Member+

read this flashy ; how to grow garlic

growing garlic
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..