Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11   #1
God Member

'growing your own veggies' (year 2)

Well folks, its that time of year again

i planted my pansy seeds this morning

have put my potato's to one side to start growing their shoots before i plant them

thought about where i'm going to plant my pea's too

but...how do i get the shoots to grow on the garlic so i can just plant a bulb? do i put them in a warm place? cold place? room temperature?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:28   #2
I am Banned

Re: 'growing your own veggies' (year 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Well folks, its that time of year again

i planted my pansy seeds this morning

have put my potato's to one side to start growing their shoots before i plant them

thought about where i'm going to plant my pea's too

but...how do i get the shoots to grow on the garlic so i can just plant a bulb? do i put them in a warm place? cold place? room temperature?
Most seeds and bulbs will not start to germinate until
the soil is the right temperature, if you waant to start them early then you need to make them think its spring.

Garlic cloves need to be planted at least an inch deep,
so make some paper pots and keep them indoors until the weather improves.
Hope your chest is better.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 13:04   #3
God Member

Sisters boyfriend manage to get an allotment last year and had some cracking crops out of it. Seems that in this time of dire economics a bit of home grown grub is ideal.

Does this mean its Farmer Flashy now?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 13:10   #4
God Member

I wish I had a garden..
Old 01-02-2009, 13:10   #5
God Member

The original Dig for Victory campaign
Living Archive - Home Front
has been revived here
About us - Dig for Victory local food

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 13:35   #6
God Member

Retlaw, i dont plant things in the ground, i plant them in huge tubs, i have planted the pansies in window box type things, i plant my spuds in huge tubs too, yes i use a hell of a lot of compost, but who cares when i compost it again for the following year, i am using last years composted mush for everything other than the spuds this year
Old 01-02-2009, 13:43   #7
God Member

Ever considered using those non returnable builders bags for planting? Suposed to be great for a crop of spuds.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 13:44   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I wish I had a garden..
Try for an allotment or hire a patch of garden from a relative.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 13:47   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Ever considered using those non returnable builders bags for planting? Suposed to be great for a crop of spuds.

someone mentioned those last year actually, but they would take an extortionate amount of compost wouldnt they Spug?
Old 01-02-2009, 13:57   #10
God Member

Quote:
someone mentioned those last year actually, but they would take an extortionate amount of compost wouldnt they Spug?
The one person I know who does it uses soil as well from his garden. How it works aint a clue but will have to ask. Sure it was my owd man that started him off with it.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 14:07   #11
God Member

it would definately work Spug, it would work how my tubs work
Old 01-02-2009, 14:31   #12
God Member

Quote:
it would definately work Spug, it would work how my tubs work
Was a thought that popped into the parboiled cauli between mi lugs Farmer F.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 14:35   #13
Resting in Peace

already started my tomatoes and they are about an inch big: sweet peas and a few boxes of bedding plants: now I am running out of window space:

I do well growing the seeds and getting them into big plants.... then it all goes to pot, well it did last year... however try try and try again:

got a good crop of spuds last year.... and my latest project is to make use of the space around my garden with some raised beds...

So on the look out for some cheap railway sleepers....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:47   #14
God Member

Well i put various varieties of garlic in last november and they are going great guns ( plus more for spring planting), i`ve had all my potatoes chitting since xmas eve( and i think i`ve got way to many)i`ve 2 onion sets ready to go and 10 asparagus crowns with a bed of rotting manure ready for them...mmm. all my herbs are coming on nicely, my fruit bushes went in last november along with my various raspberry canes, 2 fig trees which are budding nicely and 2 8ft olive trees which i`m trying to revive with some tlc and god knows how many seeds to propagate , leeks and carrots first i think..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:48   #15
God Member

....oh and my daffs, tulips and crocus are peeping out from the ground to see if its time......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..