Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 18:38   #31
God Member

Re: guess what

Attention all job seekers ... looking for a new career? High pay, great benefits, retire early on a nice pension ... work anywhere in Canada .... heard on the news last night that the RCMP are looking for recruits, lots of them.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2009, 18:43   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Attention all job seekers ... looking for a new career? High pay, great benefits, retire early on a nice pension ... work anywhere in Canada .... heard on the news last night that the RCMP are looking for recruits, lots of them.

i'd rather be a lumberjack - leaping tall trees in a single bound..................
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 18:50   #33
God Member

Quote:
One question "why?"

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 19:03   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
One question "why?"
Retirement mainly ... same thing applies to nurses .... a few years ago there were hiring freezes ... and now there are upcoming shortages. The crunch for the RCMP will come in about five years; so, they are getting ready now .... The mounties are the federal police force, and they are hiring for all positions ... the oldest recruit so far, in the latest hiring drive was 52! Because of the, shall we say, sensitive nature of much of the stuff the force deals with, many of their clerical staff are members of the force.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 19:32   #35
God Member

Quote:
Retirement mainly ... same thing applies to nurses .... a few years ago there were hiring freezes ... and now there are upcoming shortages. The crunch for the RCMP will come in about five years; so, they are getting ready now .... The mounties are the federal police force, and they are hiring for all positions ... the oldest recruit so far, in the latest hiring drive was 52! Because of the, shall we say, sensitive nature of much of the stuff the force deals with, many of their clerical staff are members of the force.
Thanks for that Eric. My question has been answered.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:26   #36
God Member

Congratulations on the job... hope it went well
Old 03-03-2009, 23:34   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
And I'm suggesting look for a job and then move. The internet is a wonderful resource, as are recruitment agencies.
i was doing that late 70s before the wonderful internet, i applied fer a job through a national newspaper in canada, went to manchester fer interview along with hundreds of others, was offered the job, went home put the house on the market, 2 weeks later the mother in law started to suffer badly from agraphobia,she lived alone n could not venture out only rarely, missus was really worried as i was cos she was a lovely lady, missus said to me one night, sorry i cannot leave mam like this, i agreed, so the house was taken off the market next day, n i gave backword. the whole point of this post is ya need to grasp, everyone has there own "Circumstances" n you have to live by whatever life throws at ya, its not all Black n White like you seem to think.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:49   #38
Senior Member+

Get Real Blazey!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 13:02   #39
Beacon of light

I can understand where you are coming from Blazey, but with the greatest respect, you can know very little about the difficulties of trying to relocate with a small child.
It all sounds good on paper....very easy and staightforward.

For instance child care is prohibitive....you would need a very good wage to pay for child care for a working day....and what do you do if you or your child fall ill........you have no social or family network to help you to cope.
How many places of employment have child care facilities......and though many employers may profess to be 'family friendly', in truth they cannot be.....because they want to make a profit.

The other problem is that employers can pick and choose as there are so many people in the job market....and do you think they would choose to employ a mother of a small child if there is another option?
It isn't people who build the walls....and thinking outside the box is just that.....thinking.....it is like rocking on a rocking chair, it doesn't matter how long you do it, it doesn't take you anywhere.
No you have to be realistic and realize that for some people moving to get a job is not an option they can take....much as they would like to.

You are in an enviable position of being young, free and without any family ties...so that gives you a head start....that and the fact that you are getting a uni education too.
There has to be an element of confidence, the confidence to take a risk....and you can be confident when there is only one person to consider(you).
for some people to leave the area would be a jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I truly hope that you never find yourself in Lolly's position.

And to Lolly, I am very sorry that life is so hard for you at present. I hope things get better for you soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 13:47   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
For instance child care is prohibitive....you would need a very good wage to pay for child care for a working day....and what do you do if you or your child fall ill........you have no social or family network to help you to cope.
How many places of employment have child care facilities......and though many employers may profess to be 'family friendly', in truth they cannot be.....because they want to make a profit.

Excellent point Margaret and one which is hard to comprehend if you haven't been in it. We relocated away from the area in 2000, 18 months later I was made redundant and a single parent in the space of 24 hours. My family were all in Lancashire and without them my support network was none existent. It was a no brainer to return home.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:57   #41
God Member

Obviously I can understand Lolly's position, I do come from a family in a similar situation.

I hate to perhaps be a little cold towards the predicaments of children, but everyone has the choice of whether to get pregnant and have children and if you choose to do that whilst not in a secure or well paying job then you can only really have yourself to blame really.

Sorry if perhaps that is a bit cold hearted, but there are thousands of teenagers at university who manage to not get themselves into these situations, its all about the choices you make.

If you struggle with the lifestyle that having children young puts you in then maybe you should think about that before you have sex.

Sex is 20 minutes of fun but children are a lifetime of commitment and responsibility. I might not have children either but I have a hell of a lot of debt and work to deal with and it seems to be that the more accessible education is to people the more it gets dubbed as some sort of easy option.

'get real Blazey' is a silly comment to make when the reality of it is that I make the decision every day to reject the womanly instinct towards reproduction and family life and I'll have to for many years to come if I want to make a success of myself and properly support a family. I accept that reality. Perhaps if more people accepted the reality of bringing up children then there wouldn't be so many kids ending up resorting to crime and accepting low qualities of life.

I don't feel sorry for anyone who struggles because they've got a child unless they're the victim of rape. If you don't like the consequences then don't have sex.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:05   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Obviously I can understand Lolly's position, I do come from a family in a similar situation.

I don't feel sorry for anyone who struggles because they've got a child unless they're the victim of rape. If you don't like the consequences then don't have sex.

I presume your Mum has had this lecture off you ?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:14   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I presume your Mum has had this lecture off you ?
I'll respond to that via PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:19   #44
God Member

And to answer as briefly as I can without dragging my family into something they have no say in, yes I have brought this up with my mum.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56   #45
Senior Member+

That just enforces my get real comment!

Do you know me? Do you know the circumstances of my sons birth?? Who said I was a teenager, for your information I was 23 when I had my son not some stupid teenage university student and I was in 2 very secure well paid jobs!!!!

I havent struggled at all since having Harry, it is only now that I have been made redundant that I am doing so. So what your saying is that because I have a child I can't make a success of myself and support my son. Oh no of course i cant as i'm not at university and of course only students make a success of themselves!!

You know nothing of my life and until you do please come down off your high horse and stop making comments of things you know nothing about!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..