Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2012, 11:44   #166
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
it appears that the gunman killed his mother at home (she was a teacher at the school) and then drove to the school with several weapons.
All of which (car & weapons) belonged to his Mother, this "smart but shy Nerd" 20 year old, thought to have a personality disorder, then proceeded to go on a killing spree then killed himself.

A common enough, sad & incomprehensible action that seems to affect the states rather more than elsewhere within the World. Gun control wouldn't really make much difference I don't think as it appears the underlying reasoning why such events take place are more psychological, social & cultural.

The "facts" tend to dissuade some of the more extraordinary theories being raised.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 15-12-2012 at 11:47.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-12-2012, 11:48   #167
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Actually the ban on most guns was brought in after the Dunblane School killings in 1996, by the then Conservative Government. All the guns used in that massacre were Legally held.
In 1997 The Labour Government then ameded the law to ban all of them.

The Hungerford Killings were again committed with legally held guns.
You are correct n the statement that those guns in both Hungerford & Dumblane were legally held.
One thing that isn't publised enough, is that both of those idiots had been assessed by a firearms certificating officer, and each one had recommended their permits cancelled, in each case they were over ruled by a higher rank, the worst case being at Dumblane, none of the local gun clubs would give him membership, they didn't like him or his attitude towards guns, he had no legitimate reason for owning them.
On that day he even drove past schools just to target Dumblane, and he knew exactly what the outcome would be.
Don't forget that another idiot did the same thing with cans of petrol.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 11:53   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Fair enough, i lost interest long before that due to the police refusing to give us a licence.
Ya cashy they knew you all too well
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 12:31   #169
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Far as i know guns have always been banned here,unless yeh got a licence from the police station? apart from air guns etc that is.
The first real firearms act came in in 1937, before that it depended on the local police, thats if they knew you had a firearm, 1000's of firearms were brought back as souveniers after WW1, nobody gave much notice seeing some one carrying a gun, it was normal, not like the brainwashed public today, who can't tell the difference between kids playing cowboys and indians, and a criminal comminting a crime. It is now impossible to uninvent the gun, the only way is by education in a controlled enviroment like a gun club, where you spend 12 months as a probationer, whilst being assessed as a suitable person to have ownership of a firearm, you are also required to attend regularly, and if after aquiring your own firearm, you cease to attend the club, (a record is kept of attendances), the police will soon be at your door.
Restless and DaveinGermany like this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-12-2012 at 12:34.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 12:56   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Actually the ban on most guns was brought in after the Dunblane School killings in 1996, by the then Conservative Government. All the guns used in that massacre were Legally held.
In 1997 The Labour Government then ameded the law to ban all of them.

The Hungerford Killings were again committed with legally held guns.

I'm with Gynn and Barrie and everyone else here who is Pro gun control.
I have no doubt obtaining Illegal firearms is easy, I'm a scouser after all, but that is no excuse for not controlling the supply.
Of course there's always the NRA to tell us were wrong......
wasnt saying dont control them i was saying a ban wont prevent bad guys or idiots getting tehir hands on them.Every time something bad happens calls for whatever it is that caused teh bad thing to happen to be banned are called for.More kids are killed by cars than are by guns so by these peoples mentalities all cars should be banned

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 12:58   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
So all the mothers that pass on Aids to their unborn children had sexual intercourse with God?
As stated in the preceding post, God gave us the will to choose - unless you live in a communist or many Islamic countries.

your god created everything you cant pick and choose when it dosnt suit or makes your god look bad

best not upset a god botherer the last time i heard of a god botherer getting upset someone got their tyres slashed

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 15-12-2012, 13:07   #172
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
wasnt saying dont control them i was saying a ban wont prevent bad guys or idiots getting tehir hands on them.Every time something bad happens calls for whatever it is that caused teh bad thing to happen to be banned are called for.More kids are killed by cars than are by guns so by these peoples mentalities all cars should be banned
Two completely different things, most children killed by cars are accidental, I imagine a ban or limitation would be applied if motorists deliberately aimed their cars at children.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 13:55   #173
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Two completely different things, most children killed by cars are accidental, I imagine a ban or limitation would be applied if motorists deliberately aimed their cars at children.

fair point less but i still stand by my point that banning guns in america wont stop the wrong people getting hold of guns.Its ok screaming ban guns but it wont acheive anything.What needs to happen is a system put in place where before anyone gets a gun they are given a mental health checkup as well and if they dont like it then they dont get a gun.Also if somone allows their gun to fall into the wrong hands then they are held just as acountable for any crime commited with it as the person using it.I know that if you are caught in possession of a gun that was use din a robbery you can be charged with that crime as well in america even if you had no part of it but tha rule may vary state to state.Maybe make the ownership of a gun less appealing in some way.Regardless of what people agree or disagree upon something needs to change thats for sure

Old 15-12-2012, 14:03   #174
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Yes that point possibly stands, but they haven't banned all weapons so we don't know, what you say is speculation.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 14:44   #175
Beacon of light

It has absolutely nothing to do with a belief(or disbelief for that matter) in God.
Human beings have free will.....the choice to do right or to do wrong.
Religion has nothing to do with it.
Restless likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-12-2012 at 14:47.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 14:47   #176

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Cars, planes, machinery, electricity, guns, drugs all kill people...spot the one that has absolutely no other use than the taking of life.

Agreed that if a nutter wants to kill, he probably will, problem with the US is that its too easy to mass kill.

A Timeline Of Mass Shootings In The US Since Columbine | ThinkProgress
Old 15-12-2012, 14:51   #177
Beacon of light

While I do not believe all that the media tells us, I cannot subscribe to the Manchurian Candidate theory in this incidence of killing.(Sorry MargaretR - no offence)

Who knows what pushed this young man over the edge?
He, his mother and his father are all dead...along with many innocent children in that community. My thoughts have to be with the families who have lost their babies...and to those who saw the incident and will probably be traumatised for some time to come.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:28   #178
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Not even if he were carrying several items which could have been weapons?
Quite normal in many parts of the US If you've ever hung around the Oklahoma panhandle in custom combining time, you would soon become used to pistol totin' mammas and papas ... Latest news from CBC is that he "forced" his way into the school ... whatever that means. But folks in that part of the country are not that used to people walking around with handguns and a "civilian" version of an assault rifle. This is small-town America ... mom, apple pie, the high school football team sort of thing ... this isn't supposed to happen there. But, of course, it did.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 17:39   #179
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Quite normal in many parts of the US If you've ever hung around the Oklahoma panhandle in custom combining time, you would soon become used to pistol totin' mammas and papas ... Latest news from CBC is that he "forced" his way into the school ... whatever that means. But folks in that part of the country are not that used to people walking around with handguns and a "civilian" version of an assault rifle. This is small-town America ... mom, apple pie, the high school football team sort of thing ... this isn't supposed to happen there. But, of course, it did.
Yes I see the BBC has now changed its mind and is talking about forced entry.

As for custom combining... took me a while to work that one out but I got there in the end. Thought at first you were talking about re-using Halloween lanterns for Christmas decorations...
Old 15-12-2012, 17:53   #180
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with a belief(or disbelief for that matter) in God.
Human beings have free will.....the choice to do right or to do wrong.
Religion has nothing to do with it.
True. I was drunk at the time of writing that. Though. God may have given us "free will" as purposed.. But if exists, God sits back and lets all these tragedy happen time and time again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..