Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2008, 15:00   #16
Super Moderator

Re: GURKHAS.. We owe them.....

Just discovered that Nick Clegg, the LibDem's head honcho met with the Gurkha leaders at their demo outside Parliament yesterday and raised their case in the House later. Don't think much of the fella (or his grasp of OAP's pensions!), but fair play to him for doing that.
Old 17-09-2008, 15:04   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Just discovered that Nick Clegg, the LibDem's head honcho met with the Gurkha leaders at their demo outside Parliament yesterday and raised their case in the House later. Don't think much of the fella (or his grasp of OAP's pensions!), but fair play to him for doing that.
being the cynical git i am, the guy knows they will never be in power, so its n easy crowd pleaser.
Old 17-09-2008, 15:12   #18
God Member

Whilst looking at my petition I noticed this one
Petition to: give all Ex Gurkha soldiers and their families who have served our country British citizenship on leaving the service. | Number10.gov.uk

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:16   #19
Beacon of light

I have signed this petition and would ask all other Accyweb members who feel strongly about the plight of these deserving men, to do the same.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:20   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

cheers fer that margaret, sorted.
Old 17-09-2008, 15:24   #21
God Member

Thanks for the karma, MargaretP - I am nearly at the 'cowpat' stage now
hint hint

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:26   #22
Beacon of light

You are welcome Margaret.....thanks for showing us the petition......I just hope everyone signs it...they should do.
And I'm nearly at 6000 posts!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:33   #23
Super Moderator

Thanks, Margaret, signed.
Old 17-09-2008, 16:31   #24
Resting in Peace

I had the pleasure of becoming very friendly with a captain in the Gurkhas in the mid seventies, we were both staing in the same hotel for about three months in Carlise, he was on a lagistics course at the maintenance unit, one of the bigest military store in the country. He was a first class soldier and a true gentleman who asked for nothing but would give you his last penny. What is happening to these people, who have given so much for this country, is boardering on the criminal especially with the way we let any Tom Dick and Harry come here and take us for a ride, I've signed
Old 17-09-2008, 16:57   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: GURKHAS.. We owe them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Although, don't remember what they did for us exactly, everyone has a deep fondness and admiration for these people.

Why is it that all the population, except certain members of the Government, are in disagreement with this. Sure if you went down town today and did a survey, everyone would wish to welcome them with open arms ...

Without googling, etc., on what grounds are we refusing them entry ?
Basically it is those Ghurkhas who retired from the British Army after the Ghurkha regiment moved from Hong Kong in 1997 that have automatic permission to remain in this country. And that means that those who retired before then do not.

AND THAT IS WRONG!!!

Please see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7616244.stm
Old 17-09-2008, 16:58   #26
Passed away 25-11-09

A life-long family friend of my parents spent 5 years in Burma, fighting the Japanese, during the war. He didn't ever say much about his experiences but he did tell us about the Gurkhas he had fought alongside. He had a great deal of admiration for them and said how brave they were and how very glad he was that they were on our side.

Those old men are the ones who fought along side our soldiers. You see them in the papers and on TV, so proud and standing to attention. They don't bleat and whine, they don't make demands and scream about Human Rights, all they ask is for justice. This country owes them a debt and I, as an Englishwoman, feel ashamed that, up to now, it is not being repaid.

Last edited by West Ender; 17-09-2008 at 17:01.
West Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 17:00   #27
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: GURKHAS.. We owe them.....

Nice one MargaretR.

I’ve signed.
Old 17-09-2008, 17:10   #28
Resting in Peace

I've signed it too Margaret ... although was badly worded ... said 'when they retire from service', but as Jambutty pointed out is aimed at the soldiers who retired before 1997.

Just listened to the Tuesday interview on the Jeremy Vine show with Joanna Lumley and a Gurkha who had served us for 24 years, and now in danger of being deported ! He retired in 1993. She was protesting outside the Court that were ruling on his case ... her father had served with them.

Was nearly in tears with his plight ... their motto is 'Better to die, than be a coward'.

Tried to understand the ****** .. Sir Alexander(?) Green's point of view looking at our Immigration policies globally, and the need to restrict it. Well, we all have expressed our opinions on this, haven't we ?!? These are special people .. end of ... Something to do with an agreement made many years ago that they should return to Nepal after service ... well, break it !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 18:17   #29

Petition signed. Let's hope the government actually act upon it.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 18:37   #30
God Member

Signed and proud to do so

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..