Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010, 16:45   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: H.B.C. Council Tax/savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think you are detached from the real world. Unfortunately public transport is not good enough around here. I can't even get to and from work on public transport.
Acidic-babs didn't say you.

He suggested those who are employed by the council, and who currently get travel allowances, should use public transport.

There's plenty of people in the borough who have no choice, other than to use our public transport system.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2010, 16:53   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Acidic-babs didn't say you.

He suggested those who are employed by the council, and who currently get travel allowances, should use public transport.

There's plenty of people in the borough who have no choice, other than to use our public transport system.
I know what he said.

I said

Quote:
Don't forget the cost of paying employees to stand at bus/train stops and walk to the bus stop etc. A simple meeting in Manchester would take all day instead of just a few hours.
It does not look very professional when you have to ask them to make the meeting later as your bus does not arrive in time for the 9am meeting.

Then there is turning up soaking wet because its a 20 minute walk from the train station to the meeting and you can't get a taxi because its not public transport enough

We have work going on in the park at the moment. One of the Council Officers is responsible for this work and other works around Hyndburn. Do you seriously think he should spend all day sat on buses to get from one site to another?
Old 07-03-2010, 16:56   #33
Give, give, give member

It's a good job you don't work in London.

99.99% of the population uses public transport, and they manage quite well.

If it rains they use a brolly.

The only people who are ferried about in cars are the Queen, and her ministers.

Old 07-03-2010, 17:01   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I know what he said.

I said

It does not look very professional when you have to ask them to make the meeting later as your bus does not arrive in time for the 9am meeting.

Then there is turning up soaking wet because its a 20 minute walk from the train station to the meeting and you can't get a taxi because its not public transport enough

We have work going on in the park at the moment. One of the Council Officers is responsible for this work and other works around Hyndburn. Do you seriously think he should spend all day sat on buses to get from one site to another?
Like I said, there are lots of people who don't have any other option, other than using public transport.

I'm neither agreeing, nor disagreeing with A-b, just pointing out that he wasn't suggesting you go to work on public transport.

I will make the comment that if councillors, for example, had to use public transport, I'd bet we'd see a marked increase in the level of service.

Old 07-03-2010, 17:21   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
It's a good job you don't work in London.

99.99% of the population uses public transport, and they manage quite well.
The public transport works well in London and other big Cities. I am supposed to be out with the lads from work in Manchester on Thursday, the last bus home leaves just after 9pm. What a great service we have
Old 07-03-2010, 17:22   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I will make the comment that if councillors, for example, had to use public transport, I'd bet we'd see a marked increase in the level of service.
How?

It is all privatised so there is not a lot they can do except maybe have the bus stops moved to their front doors
Old 07-03-2010, 17:39   #37
God Member

Quote:
How?

It is all privatised so there is not a lot they can do except maybe have the bus stops moved to their front doors
and that would not surprise me one bit if it happened

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 17:46   #38
God Member

For the benefit of the hard of understanding, I will try and elucidate on my comments. In the first Idea I included a quote from Britcliffe re: saving rates payers money. The point of the idea which followed was first to suggest a way round this and secondly to point out what a fat, fatuous, hypocrite Britcliffe is. If he were really as concerned as his public pronouncements make out then he would be the first to say I don't need it this year. After all the position that councillors occupy is not meant to be a full-time job.

The point of the second idea was to point out that the public transport system round here is in such a crappy state that perhaps if those responsible for it had to use it then things might improve for the rest of us. It also makes me boil with anger at the profligate waste of cash and resources that council employees are responsible for. Why shouldn't they walk to work, like many of the people whose hard earned money pays their bloated salaries and over generous pensions?
Old 07-03-2010, 18:32   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The public transport works well in London and other big Cities. I am supposed to be out with the lads from work in Manchester on Thursday, the last bus home leaves just after 9pm. What a great service we have

Although I passed my driving test when I was seventeen, I didn't own a car until I was forty, and used public transport to travel the length and breadth of the country, so perhaps have a slightly differing attitude, having been a regular user.

As for your lads night out.

You could get the last train from Manchester Victoria, which'll get you back at 23.51.
Which then leaves a twenty five minute walk from Blackburn, depending on you not being too tipsy, in which case it could take longer. But it used to take me that time, going via Audley Range, which is quicker.

Old 07-03-2010, 18:44   #40
God Member

Quote:
As for your lads night out.

You could get the last train from Manchester Victoria, which'll get you back at 23.51.

I was always taught that one should cut one's suit according to one's cloth. How about saving the money and have your nights out in Accrington. And before you counter with the "its no good in accy" argument, it might be different if a more varied and responsible crowd were using the town centre and it was not abandoned to the chavs. After all, markets are supposed to be very good a responding to the needs of their users.
Old 07-03-2010, 18:47   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I was always taught that one should cut one's suit according to one's cloth. How about saving the money and have your nights out in Accrington. And before you counter with the "its no good in accy" argument, it might be different if a more varied and responsible crowd were using the town centre and it was not abandoned to the chavs. After all, markets are supposed to be very good a responding to the needs of their users.
Good idea, bring your Scally workmates here for their night on the razz.

I'm sure they'd find lots of people willing to put them up!

Old 07-03-2010, 19:22   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I was always taught that one should cut one's suit according to one's cloth.
You are as usual right, I could just get a taxi both ways or maybe stop over in a hotel but it does feel a bit extravagant

Quote:
How about saving the money and have your nights out in Accrington
I work just outside Liverpool and the engineers come from all over the area, from on The Wirrel, Preston, Nelson and Manchester so we can't just walk into Accy for a couple of beers
Old 07-03-2010, 19:24   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I'm sure they'd find lots of people willing to touch them up!

Settle down you will do yourself an injury
Old 07-03-2010, 20:06   #44
God Member

Quote:
I work just outside Liverpool and the engineers come from all over the area, from on The Wirrel, Preston, Nelson and Manchester so we can't just walk into Accy for a couple of beers

Which sort of proves a point. In a more sensible age, you would all have lived within walking distance of where you worked. And would probably have been fitter for it. But now, like many others, you contribute to the degredation of the atmosphere on a daily basis. Mind you, I can talk! I commute to and from Blackpool everyday. I do feel there must be more to life than this.
Old 07-03-2010, 20:33   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Mind you, I can talk! I commute to and from Blackpool everyday. I do feel there must be more to life than this.
I'm sure your mother would have informed you that travel would be involved, when you announced your intention of becoming a lion tamer.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..