Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-12-2020, 10:14   #16

Re: Happy Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Christmas wishes from the land of Beer & Bratties!

Hoping you all have as good a Christmas as is possible & that 2021 is good to you & yours (lets face it, it couldn't be much worse than 2020).

Health, wealth & happiness from here to there.
I have just had two Bratties for my breakfast, the beer (Hobgoblin) will come a little later in the day,,
DaveinGermany likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-12-2020, 10:19   #17
Beacon of light

no need to tell you to enjoy it Taddy...because I know you will.
Have a damn fine day...Merry Christmas
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 10:21   #18

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1248262]Christmas wishes from the land of Beer & Bratties!
I have just had a couple of Bratties for my breakfast, The beer (Hobgoblin) will be downed a little later in the day
Old 25-12-2020, 10:23   #19

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1248350]no need to tell you to enjoy it Taddy...because I know you will.
Have a damn fine day...Merry Christmas

Thank you Marge.
Old 25-12-2020, 10:45   #20

[QUOTE=taddy;1248351][QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1248262]Christmas wishes from the land of Beer & Bratties!
I have just had a couple of Bratties for my breakfast, The beer (Hobgoblin) will be downed a little later in the day

Whilst on the subject of Bratties Dave, I can recall driving through Belgium and Germany to Housepanzer in Englepolze in Bavaria, with my Missus and two daughters in 1998 for a fortnights holiday.
One hot day I drove down to Alpsee, where we relaxed on lovely clean beaches and swam in the crystal clear waters. At lunchtime I ordered Brattwursts and Frikadellens for all.
Later in the day my youngest daughter asked me to buy her a Mars bar that she had seen, as she was 13 years old and learning German at school I said to her; "go and order one yourself", Just say Ich WerdeHaben Ein Mars Bar, Bitte.

Ha Ha, kids crack you up, I watched and listened as she went up to order, She pointed to the Mars Bars and said, (quote), Eins that one.
She is now forty one years old and never did learn any German.All the best to you and yours Dave, Have a good un.
Old 26-12-2020, 10:37   #21
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye Tads, it's nice down that way (Allgäu), Engelpolz wasn't far from where we stayed when we were posted down there. You probably would've been drinking Zöttler or Engelbräu, both were local breweries in Rettenberg.

As to the Alpsee I would imagine it was the one at Immenstadt that being the nearest to where you were staying, or was it the "Alpsee" by Schwangäu Konig Ludwigs castle in the background (Chitty chitty bang bang castle).

As to your Daughter & her German lingua, I & many thousands of troops over the years were no better really, pointy finger one hand, x-raised fingers on t'other hand to signify the amount desired, accompanied with the expression "Dings dar/Die der, Bitte!" until we reached the ultimate level of communication "eins - Zehn, Bier Bitte!" politely accepted with the refrain of thanks & gratitude of "Donkey****e!"
Old 26-12-2020, 11:48   #22

Yes you are right Dave, it was the One at Immenstadt, as for the Zottler and Englebrau we actually called into the breweries and bought some nice glasses with the breweries names on them; (we still have them).
we stayed at Housepanzer for two years running, probably the best holidays we have had, wonderful scenery, good food, good Bier and very friendly locals.
I have suggested to my better half that we go again someday but as usual seeing that she has a bit more gumption than I have and has probably rightly mentioned that it would not be the same and would maybe spoil our recollections of years gone bye.
Old 26-12-2020, 11:52   #23

I seem to have had one or two tears in my eyes as I typed that last post, must be my age.
Your's Taddy.
Old 26-12-2020, 18:38   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I have suggested to my better half that we go again someday

I'd say it was worth it, aye there will be differences, nothing truly stays the same no matter how we may wish it & while there will indupitably be contrasts to your past recollections, a whole new panorama will be opened for you to savour & enjoy.

Last time I was down that way was 2016, but at some point I will return to the region. As you rightly stated, the scenery, people, food & drink, plus of course the memories will be enough to ensure a return to the area.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
Old 26-12-2020, 19:33   #25
Beacon of light

son, I think you have that spot on.
It is never a good idea to go with the idea of re-creating past times...you have to go with the idea that yes it will be different, but different does not mean worse.....not only the places change, but we are different people to the ones we were twenty years or so ago.
Our experiences colour things, our expectations change.
If you decide to go Taddy, make like you have never been before and then you will surely enjoy it.
Holidays are like life...they are what you make them!
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
Old 27-12-2020, 10:17   #26

Thanks Dave and Marge for your commments but I doubt if I could drive down to Dover,then drive through Belgium, Germany to Bavaria at my age. As Hazel says, I will be 74 in a couple of months. Even if the spirit is willing the body may not be able to make it.
Thanks again, Taddy.
Old 27-12-2020, 11:18   #27
Beacon of light

Oh Taddy....your age is just a number...and it should not be a barrier to doing things. We do not get old by doing things.... we get old by thinking that we are too old to do them.

It is something that you could take time over...it does not have to be done in a day...two days or even two weeks.....your time is your own....I am of a similar vintage and I would not let my age get in the way of something I wanted to do.
You are a long time dead!
taddy likes this.
Old 28-12-2020, 09:56   #28

Thanks Marge, as to your first sentence,I always say that we don't stop playing because we are old; We get old because we stop playing but a drive of twelve or thirteen hundred miles on the wrong side of the roads is a little daunting at any age and it wouldn't be any easier for an old Lancashire Luddite like me.
Then again we shall see what the future brings.
Old 28-12-2020, 11:10   #29
Beacon of light

yes...I would agree if you had never done it before..but you have...and so that gives you a head start.
I hope your future brings you the things that give you something happy to look forward to, and the looking forward to is as good as the journey.
But then only you can decide.(but we are never too old for another dream...another adventure, another destination)
taddy likes this.
Old 28-12-2020, 14:15   #30
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I doubt if I could drive down to Dover,then drive through Belgium, Germany to Bavaria at my age.

Why Dover? Across to Yorkingshire Hull (90 mins or so), on the boat overnight to Rotterdam then if you do it in a oner you're talking about 9 hours through to Rettenberg.

But as you're not in a rush stop over halfway, overnight at Koblenz/Mainz that sort of area which is also a nice region (Rheinland Pfalz, Wine production ), then toodle off the next day or stay a while, then when you do head off you've got about a 4.5 hour run down to Rettenberg.

You know you want to, so quit with the lame excuses!!!

PS. You don't even have to go through Belgeek land & most definitely not through Grenouille country, just the friendly Cloggies flatlands & then the Autobahn masters Germany!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..