Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2014, 16:34   #76
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Happy families

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head there Lindsay.
You have probably put into words what many of us were privately thinking.
Thats a fact, also dig a bit deeper n the root of the discord may just occur to yez.
Old 24-05-2014, 17:08   #77
Beacon of light

I think I know who the root of the discord is.....and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is thinking this right now.
We aren't all as green as we might be cabbage looking.
Or maybe we are just a bunch of cynical old gits.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 17:17   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I think I know who the root of the discord is.....and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is thinking this right now.
We aren't all as green as we might be cabbage looking.
Or maybe we are just a bunch of cynical old gits.
Or perhaps believe "If the cap fits"
Old 24-05-2014, 17:31   #79
Beacon of light

That as well....but mainly cynical old gits.
Old 24-05-2014, 17:33   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
That as well....but mainly cynical old gits.
Aye but the cynicism is well earned. it dont come natural to most people,
Old 24-05-2014, 18:47   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
its not really funny
I think I disagree with this ... Maybe it ain't REALLY funny; but it is funny ... not as funny as Rob Ford; but there again, Toronto is a much bigger pond than Hyndburn; so it needs a bigger fish. I mean, we all know politicians are greedy, power-hungry, ass-kissing when necessary sonsabitches ... but one has to admire Malcom for his open approach to venality.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 18:50   #82
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Happy families

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

However those that it does come natural to...

...Are on AccyWeb shist finds it's own level, we however may be full of it but, no way are we so callous as this guy.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 18:52   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
As George Beardyman Shaw once said:

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:04   #84
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
It looked like a puzzler to me too, but I think I have a plausible answer, ( though Malcolm may come back and correct me after he has finished reading his Fisher Price" My First Book of using big words and stringing a sentence together").

My theory is that if the Tories had put anyone up in the ward there was an outside chance they would lose, so by hedging their bets and leaving Malcolm and Clare ( coincidentally implicated in all that mess just before polling day)to slug it out ,they, ( meaning Mr Britcliffe) now have Maleable Malcolm to deal with in Council chambers rather than Clare, who can speak English, form a sentence and actually knows what Party she represents.
Or am I reading too much into this??
My guess is that you are 100% right. Clare was a great Councillor and did a lot for Hyndburn. If I was on the opposite side to her I would want her out as well.
Old 25-05-2014, 21:35   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburn View Post
Hi thank you for all this on the web just to let you all know i am a member of UKIP and have gone INDEPENDENT what i said was we are independent people and we had no whip on us like other parties Yours Councillor Malcolm Pritchard UKIP
Good grief god help us if this man is representative of the standard of what passes for a political mind in Accrington. I have got to say after reading his later posts it smacks of what you get when cousins marry. Must also say i feel sorry for his daughter having that moraly bankrupt numpty for a father.

Last edited by walkinman221; 25-05-2014 at 21:38.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 22:29   #86

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Yet again, I'm not defending him as a man, but...

a) Where does it say that you need someone who can spell and/or know the etiquette of an internet forum to represent the electorate?
b) How soon we forget the facebook diatribe that Ms Pritchard aimed at one of her contstituents
c) Anyone here see Ms Pritchard storm out of the counting house, refusing to speak to anyone when she discovered she had lost?
d) Where did Ms Pritchard get her love of the political gravy train from?

From a purely UKIP point of view...

a) Asking any local politician to describe the party manifesto is crazy......ask any one of the incumbent Labour/Tory councillors and they would be as clueless.
b) Does anyone really think that Nigel Farage would place a 3 line whip on the vote for benches in front of the market hall...if I were voted in on a UKIP ticket, I'd state that I'd independently put the wishes of the constituents that voted for me ahead of party politics....is there really anything wrong with that?
Old 26-05-2014, 10:09   #87
Beacon of light

Yes, I think there is.
Many people who voted will have identified themselves with what UKIP stand for - which is getting independence from the EU for the UK......they may not have read anything that Malcolm put on his leaflets.....Malcolm may have broadly supported general aims of UKIP(or he may have lied - I can't say because I haven't seen any of the publicity for Milnshaw. I live in another part of hyndburn)...but he may have seen the surge in UKIP popularity as a means to an end and used it to tailgate to a victory.
He has been disingenuous. He has been ambitious, he has not been honest with those who voted for him and in that respect he is not(in my opinion anyway) suitable to represent the wishes of those who elected him.

There is nothing anywhere which says that you have to be educated or articulate when representing your constituents, but it does help if you don't want to look like a silly ass.
And if you are not educated to some degree then you will find that those who are will run rings around you.

Of course Claire got her passion for politics from her father. And I think I would be a bit unhappy and not want to speak to anyone if I lost to Malcolm Pritchard.
As for FB, well I am not a member so I know nothing of that.

People who have sought out Claire for help have usually been very happy with the support she has given them......but good news is never that laudable is it?
Less, cashman and maxthecollie like this.
Old 26-05-2014, 11:02   #88
Beacon of light

Had Malcolm Pritchard stood an an Independent candidate(which he could have done) he would have been being honest about his political allegiance......but to my mind, he knew that standing as an Independent would not allow him to gain from the recent publicity that the UKIP party has had. He wanted to use this in an opportunistic way to gain......and that is dishonest, both to the UKIP party and to those who elected him on a UKIP ticket.

Still, dishonesty is the common coin of politicians. I just thought(and maybe hoped) that our local politicians had not been tainted by this blight.
Old 26-05-2014, 12:34   #89
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Had Malcolm Pritchard stood an an Independent candidate(which he could have done) he would have been being honest about his political allegiance......but to my mind, he knew that standing as an Independent would not allow him to gain from the recent publicity that the UKIP party has had. He wanted to use this in an opportunistic way to gain......and that is dishonest, both to the UKIP party and to those who elected him on a UKIP ticket......
He became independent mid term after being voted in by Labour supporters. He then lost his seat to Paul Cox who stood as Labour and Malcolm stood as independent. You may be right with your thoughts as to why he decided to abandon being independent and change yet again to UKIP just as they are having a surge in popularity.
Old 26-05-2014, 12:42   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ponder all yez want its simple "SNAKE."

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..