Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2007, 18:45   #181
Resident Waffler

Re: Happy New Mosque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Tollerance, freedom of speech, good questions, firstly tollerance is not in the Arab/Moslem vocabulary, and 'no' freedom of speech will be allowed, if we the indigenous people of this land keep bending to the will of the (Ethnic Minorities).

My muslim neighbours are very tolerant.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2007, 20:21   #182
Resting in peace

I'm not saying all the ethnic minorities are intollerant willow, it is the new element that are taking liberties and giving the rest a hard time, I am not and never have been racist i'm half Jewish my mother was a Jew, I have no axe to grind with anyone that will at least meet us half way,but chucking the race card about like confetti as soon as you slightly tread on a toe realy bugs me. 'Going off thread', if (Bollybitch) had called (Goodybitch) a washed up Eccles Cake eater, would 45,000 people rung in and cried racist, I very much doubt it.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 08:48   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
Talk about a tough test of tolerance!
See what I mean,Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing,but tolerance is a much harder human capability for some people.Sorry Billcat,You just ain't got it.
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 11:15   #184
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Boy View Post
See what I mean,Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing,but tolerance is a much harder human capability for some people.Sorry Billcat,You just ain't got it.
And apparently neither have I Church Boy, you have got me baffled as well .
Old 26-01-2007, 12:05   #185

Quote:
And apparently neither have I Church Boy, you have got me baffled as well .
Ianto.Self confessions should only be made in the confessional,But if you aren't tolerant either,God will forgive you my son.
Old 26-01-2007, 12:22   #186
Resting in peace

Quote:
Ianto.Self confessions should only be made in the confessional,But if you aren't tolerant either,God will forgive you my son.
Confessing is not part of my religion or my make-up, but it's good to have differences of opinion, and even better to be called 'my son' by someone 11 years my junior. I am a very tollerant man, as all my ex wives will 'not' testify to. Regards 'My Son', Ianto.W.
Old 26-01-2007, 12:29   #187
Resident Waffler

Quote:
'Going off thread', if (Bollybitch) had called (Goodybitch) a washed up Eccles Cake eater, would 45,000 people rung in and cried racist, I very much doubt it.
It wouldn't have been racist, any more than Jade was racist. She was showing ignorance and being a bully. Being half Jewish doesn't make you less capable of being racist any more than being part black prevents Jade.

You did however give me food for thought - to use both your points - if planning permission had been granted for a synagogue in Clitheroe do you think it would have warranted this length of a thread on AccyWeb?

Old 26-01-2007, 12:52   #188
Resting in peace

There were actually two threads on this subject willow, it cost me some 'brownie points' for raising the second one, to answer your very valid questions, With the first one about Jade being part Black and myself being half Jewish, we would not have made the 'song and dance' the Moslems did about such a trivial matter. Second point planning permission for a Synagogue would have had to go through the same procedure, as would a Mormon Temple, or any other religious persuasion. The point being would they have had all the aggro the Moslems had? NO.
Old 26-01-2007, 12:53   #189

Quote:
Confessing is not part of my religion or my make-up, but it's good to have differences of opinion, and even better to be called 'my son' by someone 11 years my junior. I am a very tollerant man, as all my ex wives will 'not' testify to. Regards 'My Son', Ianto.W.
Sorry, you randy old ******.You Rock.
Old 26-01-2007, 13:11   #190
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Second point planning permission for a Synagogue would have had to go through the same procedure, as would a Mormon Temple, or any other religious persuasion. The point being would they have had all the aggro the Moslems had? NO.
I'd just like to clarify so that people don't misunderstand. Mormon Sunday services and Sunday school classes take place in a church/chapel. Our nearest purpose built one is in Blackburn. At other times we have rented rooms in a wide variety of places including AccyTown Hall, Moorhead School, Darwen Vale School and the Masonic Lodge in Ossy. I'm not aware that we've ever had much aggro with any of those.

The Temple is a different thing entirely. We only have 2 in this country. The nearest is in Chorley and we did get quite a bit of opposition to it being built when it was in the planning stages mainly because people assumed things like it would bring down the house prices in the area (actually they went up) or that Chorley would be full of Americans (not really, it's for the Mormons of this country not for an overseas invasion) Once it was built we had some militant objectors from other churches but they were just making themselves look foolish with some of the silly nonsense they published about us. Some of the objections were more like queries and they were valid because people were concerned about a possible blot on the landscape - until they became aware of possible alternative blots if the church didn't buy the land for the temple. I think ours turned out to be the least of all possible blots.

The point is that some people object not because they actually know what they're objecting to, but because they think they know, or because they just object to a group of people regardless of whether it will affect their own lives or not.

Old 26-01-2007, 13:13   #191
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
What ARE you babbling about? Your posts aren't making much sense.

"Speaking of love, one problem that recurs more and more frequently these days in books,and plays,and movies on, is the inability of people to communicate with the people they love. Husbands and wives who can't communicate; children who can't communicate with their parents, and so on. And the characters in these books, and plays, and so on, and in real life, I might add, spend hours bemoaning the fact that they can't communicate. I feel that if a person can't communicate the very least he can do is to shut up." - Tom Lehrer

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 13:25   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
What ARE you babbling about? Your posts aren't making much sense.

"Speaking of love, one problem that recurs more and more frequently these days in books,and plays,and movies on, is the inability of people to communicate with the people they love. Husbands and wives who can't communicate; children who can't communicate with their parents, and so on. And the characters in these books, and plays, and so on, and in real life, I might add, spend hours bemoaning the fact that they can't communicate. I feel that if a person can't communicate the very least he can do is to shut up." - Tom Lehrer
Yawn,Yawn,Yawn,
God allmighty,You are actually such a bore.Longwinded speeches like that just don't cut it.Go read another book.Enjoy.
Old 26-01-2007, 15:08   #193
Resting in peace

Quote:
WillowTheWhisp, I think ours turned out to be the least of all possible blots.
I thought you had a place in Accrington willow, but my misses says that was Christian Scientists, she said it was for barmy beggars like me, seriously though that Temple at Chorley is a grand building, well worth a look at.
Old 26-01-2007, 15:31   #194
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Yawn,Yawn,Yawn,
God allmighty,You are actually such a bore.Longwinded speeches like that just don't cut it.Go read another book.Enjoy.
More Church Boy blather! Talk about not cutting it.

At least we who read books learn the value of clarity in our writing! While we may on occasion be boring, there is nothing so boring as folks who make no sense at all!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!

Last edited by Billcat; 26-01-2007 at 15:33.
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 12:06   #195

Billcat.
I take your criticism with a grain of salt.Also your admitance of Boredom isn't surprising to me.Many people enjoy reading books,And its usually the Reader who can't think for themselves that Quote them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..