Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2006, 14:27   #31
I am Banned

Re: Happy New Mosque

Isnt there any chance of it being used for both religions?
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2006, 14:29   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadah View Post
Isnt there any chance of it being used for both religions?
The Methodists don't want it, they have another chapel.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 14:32   #33
I am Banned

Im not up on my religion so correct me if i am talking shi7 but if they have a new one then why the fuss?
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 15:25   #34

i dont see what is wrong with building a mosque and domes. after all domes are a traditional architecural feature of churches eg st pauls in london and the former church st sophias in istanbul. as long as it is in keeping with the materials of the local area i cant see why domes are considered tacky or someting. anyway landscapes are always changing with new influences otherwise we wouldnt have churches
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 21:33   #35
Resident Waffler

I bet there were people who grumbled about church spires poking up into the sky at one time.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 23:22   #36
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You are still all missing the point here .. was the 'obscure' planning permission that was the issue after at least eight submissions (I think) and pressures that were brought to 'persuade' a council to consent to this application.
You are the only one that 'got' the reason for my raising the subject katex, I care not if it is a mosque or otherwise. The granting of planning permission must follow a laid down set of rules, and should not be subjected to undue outside pressures.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 23:48   #37
Resident Waffler

It's difficult to have an opinion on that without knowing the full story. For instance when the first application was made and rejected was anything changed? Was more information provided? Why did people change their minds? Were some unasked quetions subsequently answered?

I'm remembering back to when our church first applied for permssion to build the temple near Chorley and early objections were on the grounds of not wanting the place invaded by a load of Americans. In actual fact there are very few Americans ever go there so that was one objection which actually had no substance to it.

Could it have been similar in the case of this mosque?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 00:06   #38
Resting in peace

Quote:
WillowtheWhisp I'm remembering back to when our church first applied for permssion to build the temple near Chorley
I take it you are referring to the Mormon Temple Willow, yes it is a truly remarkably beautiful building it must have cost a kings ransome to errect.
Old 24-12-2006, 00:51   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
You are the only one that 'got' the reason for my raising the subject katex, I care not if it is a mosque or otherwise. The granting of planning permission must follow a laid down set of rules, and should not be subjected to undue outside pressures.
Without us knowing the ins and outs of the planning application, basically it's a change of use, from one religion to another.

Like I said earlier as long as the integrity of the building isn't changed, good luck to 'em, as long as it's not another McDonalds.

Old 24-12-2006, 00:57   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
was it subjected to outside pressure ianto.w.? i sure dont know.
Old 24-12-2006, 00:59   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was it subjected to outside pressure ianto.w.? i sure dont know.
You and me neither, give us facts.

Old 24-12-2006, 01:48   #42
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You and me neither, give us facts.
I admit Clitheroe Council made it quite obvious that they were not keen on a mosque, so I suppose the Ombubsmans criticisms and as I said the harnessing of the media tv etc was fully justified. This was not a personal view on this subject, the thread was only raised to provoke a debate.
Old 24-12-2006, 02:40   #43
Senior Member+

i agree with the above user who said the mormon temple is just a sight to see

first time i saw it i was like WOAH!! i actually slowed down the car to have a good look at it...

recently i had the chance to go to chorley to look at a spar store i was thinking of buying and i actually drove closer on the way back so i could have a look at it

someday i'm gonna go inside to have a look. its an amazing sight. the one in atlanta city is meant to b even better right willow? glass building and all that nah?

not being biased but mecca is an awesome size and design. at night its just stunning the wya they've done the lighting.

sayin that thought the basilica in venice is really nice at night. its a shame they only open about two weeks a year for visitors to go inside and i didnt get the chance.

i'd love to see the church where the michealanglo roof painting is.
Old 24-12-2006, 05:29   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
not being biased but mecca is an awesome size and design. at night its just stunning the wya they've done the lighting.

Yep , got to agree with you, impressive , I used to take the shortcut (avoiding the much longer 'Christian by-pass' ) thru Mecca when driving from Jeddah to Taif when I lived in Saudi during the 80s, only did it during nightime hours when the guards/mutawas were usually asleep , I used to stop at one store to buy burial shrouds for my Mums neighbours in Gt.Harwood, still have some beads from Mecca hanging from my rear view mirror. The place was scary when the rebels took over the Kabba in 80/81 and the French Foriegn Legion came in to clear them out . Would be interesting to know if they had any link to the presant day Taliban , I know Bin Ladens old man did a lot of construction work around the Kabba .

Last edited by steeljack; 24-12-2006 at 05:31. Reason: spelling
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 07:31   #45

Short but Sweet.If you don't agree,You are not Tolerant,& if you do, they will think your nuts,because after the Mosque goe's up your loveley little town will never be the same,& your little Council will pay big time, By you,But to late. Church Boy.
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..