Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 21:39   #1
I am Banned

happy slapping

i just caught the end of a program on bbc 1 where they were doing a documentary on a craze by kids to violently attack passers by and record it on their mobile phones to show their friends in the school yard etc

made me wonder if this craze had hit accrington yet or if anyone had experienced it

apparently it started off with somone simply running up to someone and slapping them across the face while their friend records it on the mobile phoone then they both run off

things have now got to the point where they now kick people unconcious, throw lighter fluid over people and light them or simply clothsline somone of their bike as they pedal past

according to the report the race is on to see who can get the most violent footage on their video phones and as each clip gets more violent the race is on to beat it and commit even worse attacks

liek i said i only saw the last 5 mins of the program so maybe if anyone watched the whole program they can add to this

funny how this program aired on the day tony blair stood infront of the press and announced a clamp down on anti social behaviour

one would think he plans his announcments around a TV guide lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2005, 00:36   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: happy slapping

2:30 hours later, nobody has responded to this new thread!!! What you have done Chav is to highlight "Street Cred" behaviour that is prevalent amonst teenageers......but for the older generation, UNBELIEVABLE!!

Yes, our sons/daughters are capable of such horrific acts, It is terrible, but violence amonst tenagers has become "FUN"

The most important thing that a teenager can get is "Street Cred" ..........and what better proof than a video captured on a mobile!

It is horrific, but to those that choose to act this way, and video it, they gain respect from their classmates and friends......

Us "older" ones were brought up to respect the law and the rights of others.......but now, the weak are fair game and the law is an as*!
Old 13-05-2005, 00:45   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its not respect they'll be getting if they ever slap me lol
Old 13-05-2005, 00:54   #4
I am Banned

there is a similar problem in the usa where teenagers take cam corders and beat people up and record it to show their friends

all this sort of behaviour and trend began mainly because of a website that released video footage onto the net of tramps/vagrants paid to fist fight for a few dollars

i am refering to BUM FIGHTS an internet based group of morons who traveled around the usa paying tramps to fist fight then releasing it via their website

the fights themselves were no holds barred and pretty grousome as you can imagine how desperate a man can get when homeless and hungry for a few dollars

although i am not one to be shocked by violence i find this behaviour disgusting especialy as it influenced children to mimic what they saw and the fact that the trend has spread to our schools

if i ever find footage of this sort on any of my kids mobile phones i would happy slap them around the face and let them know how the victim in their video clip felt

i would also hand the phone to the police

edit

just took a look at the bum fights website and i wasnt even asked if i was 18 or over which surprises even me

Last edited by chav1; 13-05-2005 at 00:56.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2005, 10:33   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: happy slapping

Who says that advertising doesn’t influence people and kids in particular?

This new fad sounds like a spawn from the “You’ve been Tangoed” ad.
Old 13-05-2005, 11:38   #6
God Member

Anyone else seeing 'A Clockwork Orange' in this? Its almost as if Stanley is there laughing at it all.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2005, 11:41   #7
Resident Waffler

When that ad was criticised for its violent content I thought the reaction was a bit OTT as it was obviously not to be taken seriously, but when it can lead to this sort of behaviour I understand where the critics were coming from.

P.S. I didn't respond earlier (ie last night) because I was ironing and then went to bed! Well I would have gone straight to bed but for a certain coach driver of this parish emailing me and IMing me and phoning me!

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 13-05-2005 at 11:43.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 12:19   #8

I didn't realise this came from kids with mobile camera phones attacking people.
My eldest came home from school a couple of weeks ago and said "dad do you know whats going round school?".....i said "no" and she said "Happy slap" and i got a gentle slap on my cheek...........i did start laughing and my youngest now does it to me and i joke with her about it.
We have been doing happy slapping (jokingly) for about 2 weeks,but i think i will be having words with my eldest when she gets home to find out exactly where she got it from and to see if any crime has gone on!!

I have chastised myself for this 2 week period with no bacon sandwich today!!

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 13:22   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Anyone else seeing 'A Clockwork Orange' in this? Its almost as if Stanley is there laughing at it all.
Either him or Anthony Burgess, who actually wrote the book

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 15:36   #10

I think it's terrible as some people have been seriosly hurt by "happy slapping" as now it has turned into folk being badly beaten not just a slap. My friend had it happen to him in Manchester and spent two days in hospital.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 17:14   #11
Senior Member+

It's just yet another example of disrespectful youths behaving like louts! Anyone "happy slaps" me and they will be getting one back! I don't think it's got much to do with advertising of any kind;it's just that that this age group have nothing better to do and no respect for their fellow man.
Old 20-05-2005, 16:46   #12
Senior Member+

Well believe it or not but if i saw any of this happenning i would be giving the happy slapper a happy slap back nad would run the risk in court.Time to stand up against this and hope that the justice system backs you up.Violence never solved anything but t certainly makes me feel better after LOL!
Old 21-05-2005, 11:37   #13
I am Band

Unhappy Re: happy slapping

The law is now toothless, and permits these crazes to burgeon unpunished. Perhaps we, as a nation, should put up two fingers to the bleeding-heart brigade in Strasbourg, show them graphically where they can tuck their unworkable Human Rights charter, and get back to making the streets a safer place for people to walk safely and unafraid.
If these young divvies want to embrace modern technology, let's birch the b@stards in public, film it on a moby, then bluetooth it far and wide; share their public humiliation as a deterrent to repeat offenders.

I accept that this is a right-wing, Dickensian attitude to crime and punishment, but the former is on the increase because the latter is no longer permitted to be policed sufficiently.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2005, 11:53   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
The law is now toothless, and permits these crazes to burgeon unpunished. Perhaps we, as a nation, should put up two fingers to the bleeding-heart brigade in Strasbourg, show them graphically where they can tuck their unworkable Human Rights charter, and get back to making the streets a safer place for people to walk safely and unafraid.
If these young divvies want to embrace modern technology, let's birch the b@stards in public, film it on a moby, then bluetooth it far and wide; share their public humiliation as a deterrent to repeat offenders.

I accept that this is a right-wing, Dickensian attitude to crime and punishment, but the former is on the increase because the latter is no longer permitted to be policed sufficiently.
check out the daily mail this morning sparky-sheriff joe arpaio page26,in arizona the guys got it spot on in my opinion.hard labour in PINK underpants its hilarious but effective lol
Old 21-05-2005, 12:49   #15
I am Band

I have heard of this guy before. His modus-operandi for dealing with scrotes is spot on.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..