Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2018, 09:36   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Harry And Megs Big Day

I have nothing against the Royal Family and I think the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have done a fantastic job.....they are the envy of the world.
I do not see them as scroungers(as some people might).
I see them as an asset to the country....people travel across the globe to see them....and Royal events always generate business....that in itself is a good thing.
All that said, this marriage(and I sincerely hope I am wrong) does not feel right to me.
I can see that young man picking up the pieces of his life in the not too distant future.....I will go now before anyone calls me Septic Peg
cashman and hilleluk like this.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2018, 10:00   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

no argument from me, in fact have been saying that fer a few months now.
Old 20-05-2018, 17:21   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have nothing against the Royal Family and I think the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have done a fantastic job.....they are the envy of the world.
I do not see them as scroungers(as some people might).
I see them as an asset to the country....people travel across the globe to see them....and Royal events always generate business....that in itself is a good thing.
All that said, this marriage(and I sincerely hope I am wrong) does not feel right to me.
I can see that young man picking up the pieces of his life in the not too distant future.....I will go now before anyone calls me Septic Peg
Yer not wrong Margaret, she's been playin him like a violin, her family and her back ground haven't been much help either. Just think before long we may have a black prince II.

cashman and hilleluk like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 19:06   #34
Beacon of light

I normally enjoy my Sunday toast and marmalade reading through the paper...a nice leisurely start to my day.
Not today....there were 45 pages of stuff about the wedding yesterday.
This is NOT news.....we had a plateful of this stuff yesterday....every possible angle was covered.
What could be newsworthy about more of the same?
So, I have had it with this event.
No doubt there will be a similar level of cover in the dailies tomorrow...how long will this go on?
Old 20-05-2018, 19:25   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No doubt there will be a similar level of cover in the dailies tomorrow...how long will this go on?
To be honest i was disgusted by the amount of repeat rubbish in todays paper, this will no doubt continue tomorrow, if it does i will not be buying one. gawd knows how much more rubbish we will get when the breeding starts? i shudder to think.
Old 20-05-2018, 19:36   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
I normally enjoy my Sunday toast and marmalade reading through the paper...a nice leisurely start to my day.
Not today....there were 45 pages of stuff about the wedding yesterday.
This is NOT news.....we had a plateful of this stuff yesterday....every possible angle was covered.
What could be newsworthy about more of the same?
So, I have had it with this event.
Ay Margaret thads nowt, thankfully I dorned ev a Sunday paper so a managed me porridge wi not much trouble, but knowin them so called paperatzi, they'l be at it fur weeks, an then if thurs a bun int oven, flamin eck, we ul all be sickened tu death.
Please god take me quick.

A wonder if Queen Liz and Prince Phil, are keeping their fingers crossed, hoping she's infertile.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 19:50   #37
Senior Member+

I don't read newspapers and I'm very selective about what I watch on television or listen to on the radio.
With that in mind you will understand that I didn't watch, read or hear much about the wedding on TV.
Over the previous few months I have picked up snippets of information regarding the new princess and I totally agree with other's comments when they say the marriage is not going to last.. Something odd about the whole situation,
No doubt she will be praying for a child as leverage over the Royal family but I just hope they have a solid prenuptial agreement in place.

I love our Queen, and served her in the forces by the way and I think she is the most hard working woman in the UK who brings a lot of wealth into the Country. Nobody puts a show on like the British.
cashman, Big Dave and hilleluk like this.
Old 20-05-2018, 19:57   #38
Beacon of light

We have a newspaper delivered daily....but I also read many of the online papers.
Today, though....haven't bothered.
I am sick of the syrupy reporting.
As for yesterday.....I took myself off on a bus ride...went out just after 9 and did not get back until after five....I walked miles so I was pooped.
Did not watch any of the guff on TV(not a big TV fan at the best of times)....have avoided it today too.

I just want it all to go down the plug hole.
Maybe by Wednesday eh?
Old 20-05-2018, 20:13   #39
Senior Member+

I spent a few hours disembarking a cruise ship and driving down from Newcastle on Tyne and the only thing I heard on the radio were the traffic reports cutting in over my music which was playing through the speakers.
Then I transferred 800 photos from SD cards to PC before watching the cup final.
Then my partner wanted to watch all the recording of Coronation street and Emmerdale which I had set up on the Vision box. By then I could feel the urge to watch the barmaid in the Club pour me a few jars of my favourite grog. I think it's called grog because after that I was groggy and my bed called, so orf I jolly well went and listened to Radio 4X comedy hour tucked up under the sheet.
Old 20-05-2018, 20:49   #40
Beacon of light

Sounds like you spent your day very well Russell.
I could have stayed in....the bathroom could have done with some attention....but the sun was shining.....I could have made a start on the pile of Father's Day cards I have promised to make(donations for which are going to be used to send a very special young man on a volunteering trip to Borneo....in 2020)...but the sun was shining and I haven't given my bus pass an outing for about 8 weeks.
So off I skipped.
No TV on the top deck of a bus....I enjoyed my day, spent very little(only because I did not see anything that took my fancy) and came back tired, hungry and ready for a good brew of tea.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 21-05-2018, 07:02   #41
Beacon of light

Well, the furore still has not died down.....a 32 page supplement in the middle of the paper....and a further fifty pages in the main body of the paper....plus some guff about Meghan Manifesto.....now forgive me, but I thought the royal family were meant to be above this sort of thing.....and before anyone tells me that it is not political....I know that.
It is easy to be involved in what she terms 'social justice' when you are wealthy and have a high profile.

I hope that the powers that be (in the Royal circles) clip her wings a bit....or maybe a couple of babies might slow her down a bit.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 21-05-2018, 11:45   #42

I did watch the ceremony on Saturday, thought her dress was really nice, the boy Michael Curry was just about the star turn, for all the wrong reasons.
Only in my opinion I thought the Queen was less than pleased. I am a Royalist, love the Queen and certain members of the Royal family, but not all.
I honestly hope I am wrong, but I think Megan could be bad news.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:56   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Nowt wrong wi being a Royalist, i aint but lifes all about choices.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 22-05-2018, 05:59   #44

Yes, hilleluk, that boy was really good but I also enjoyed the Gospel Choir - wish they'd sung a couple more. The mother-of-the-bride was very elegant and played her part beautifully - it must have been quite overwhelming for her but she did everything right.

NOW I'm over it - just wish the media were....
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 12:50   #45
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

NOW I'm over it - just wish the media were....
Me too Dorothy, me too.
There are another half a dozen pages in today's paper...so it is getting a bit less I suppose.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..