Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 08:52   #1
Give, give, give member

Have the Tory-Lites really changed?

Although the new look Conservative party pay lip service to matters of equality, and supposedly embrace all, regardless of colour, gender, sexual orientation etc., and even suggest that feral hoodies should be hugged, rather than feared, but have they really changed?

It's just emerged that shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling, believes that bed and breakfast owners should be allowed to refuse homosexuals accommodation, if they so wish. An act that would be unlawful.

Leading Tory says B&Bs should be allowed to ban homosexual couples - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

I wonder if he also believes that people who decide to rent out rooms, and provide breakfast for paying guests, should also be allowed to turn away, and refuse accommodation to other groups of people they happen not to like? Would he support their rights to turn away someone in a turban, or a mixed race couple, or someone wearing a crucifix?

It sounds like a return to the fifties, when boarding houses displayed signs in their windows saying 'no blacks', and 'no Irish'.

This comes close on the heels of Cameron's interview with Gay Times, in which he refused to take responsibility for Tory MEP's failure to condemn blatantly homophobic legislasion in Lithuania. Even Cameron called his interview 'wretched' afterwards, regarding his flustered attempts to answer straightforward questions regarding equality.

Cameron visibly flustered in Gay Times interview - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

Then there was the reported race row. When a candidate was threatened with deselection at local level, on grounds that's reportedly because of the colour of his skin.

Bid to deselect black candidate sparks Tory race row - Times Online

It would be nice to believe the Tory party of today isn't the same old racist, homophobic one of the past, and it would be wonderful to think that they've changed. But when you scratch beneath the surface, and see that what's underneath looks fairly alarming, especially when examples of prejudice appear from grass root level, right up to the top, and the leadership of the Conservative party, it leaves us wondering if the reported changes are for real, or just an attempt to hoodwink votes, from previously ignored groups of the electorate.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52   #2
God Member

Re: Have the Tory-Lites really changed?

Chris Grayling says that for hotels, they shouldn't get a choice, but for B&Bs, they should be able to turn people away because it's their own home.

No. It's not their home, it's a business. You chose to open it to the public, and you should be subject to the same laws as all other businesses.

From my experience the party is not racist, or homophobic. The party are selecting minority candidates in safe seats, not just long-shot seats. After Tory leader reveals his list of ethnic candidates, Cameron's Rainbow 1st Eleven | Mail Online

Of course there will always be some people who don't change with the party. There are people in all parties who get found out to be racists, homophobes and hold many other disgusting views. With the coming election there is much media scrutiny on the Conservatives and it's no surprise that Labour ministers like Chris Bryant jump on the chance to portray the party as not at all changed, all a bunch of homophobes. They couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:54   #3
Give, give, give member

I'd like to know the grounds that shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling, would support, for refusing accommodation to gay people.

Have these Tory B & B owners received special training in spotting them, so their premises remain unsullied?

- You might 'say' you're two sisters, here for your nephew's wedding, but I really know why you want my back twin room. Queen Victoria might not have believed your lot existed, but I've seen your disgusting and perverted girl on girl films. Out!

-Come on Mary Ann, who you kidding? You're not a travelling petroleum salesman. I saw that John Barryman sings show tunes CD in your car. You're a raving homo, and you can clear off my property now. Out!

-Calling yourself 'Sister Wendy', and dressing up like a nun, doesn't fool me. A normal lady wouldn't wear such sensible, mannish shoes, with no visible heel. Clear off you dirty dyke. Out!

-A wash bag with aftershave balm? Get your pampered, effete cosmetics back in your car Nancy boy, and leave now. Out!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:59   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Chris Grayling says that for hotels, they shouldn't get a choice, but for B&Bs, they should be able to turn people away because it's their own home.

No. It's not their home, it's a business. You chose to open it to the public, and you should be subject to the same laws as all other businesses.

From my experience the party is not racist, or homophobic. The party are selecting minority candidates in safe seats, not just long-shot seats. After Tory leader reveals his list of ethnic candidates, Cameron's Rainbow 1st Eleven | Mail Online

Of course there will always be some people who don't change with the party. There are people in all parties who get found out to be racists, homophobes and hold many other disgusting views. With the coming election there is much media scrutiny on the Conservatives and it's no surprise that Labour ministers like Chris Bryant jump on the chance to portray the party as not at all changed, all a bunch of homophobes. They couldn't be further from the truth.
So you'd support the right for people to refuse accommodation at their B & B's, if they didn't happen to like the colour of someone's skin?

Just the same principle, and just as ignorant.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:02   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think it is you who are no further from the truth andrew take yer blinkers off. they will never change,never have,never will,
Old 04-04-2010, 10:04   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So you'd support the right for people to refuse accommodation at their B & B's, if they didn't happen to like the colour of someone's skin?

Just the same principle, and just as ignorant.
What? No. Like I just said, B&Bs should not be able to refuse people on the basis of their sexuality, or the colour of their skin, or their race. They should be subject to the same laws as all businesses regardless of if it's in their own home or not.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:09   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
What? No. Like I just said, B&Bs should not be able to refuse people on the basis of their sexuality, or the colour of their skin, or their race. They should be subject to the same laws as all businesses regardless of if it's in their own home or not.
So hopefully you'll be sending a message of protest to your shadow Home Secretary, because of his blind, ignorant, discrimination?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:12   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So hopefully you'll be sending a message of protest to your shadow Home Secretary, because of his blind, ignorant, discrimination?
he can't cos it aint labour thats saying it.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
From my experience the party is not racist
...Dr (Liam) Fox's crass attempt at humour at the shadow cabinet drinks

party. He asked journalists: 'What do you call three dogs and a black bird?'

His answer: 'The Spice Girls.'

Top Tory's racist joke about the Spice Girls; Shadow health minister is forced to apologise after drinks party gaffe. - Free Online Library

I'm sure the shadow Defence Secretary would do an excellent job, when dealing with those foreign Fuzzy-Wuzzies.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:42   #10
Give, give, give member

Hannan neatly proves Carter's point by saying:

"Barack Obama has an exotic background and it would be odd if some people weren't unsettled by it."

"[Obama seems to] have family on every continent".

"[I]t could hardly fail to leave a chunk of people feeling that Obama wasn't exactly a regular guy."

So, who is Daniel Hannan? He has been in the news lately for running down the National Health Service on American television. Is he an obscure MEP? No. David Cameron rewarded him for the fallout over the NHS row with a new frontbench European job on legal affairs. But are they close? Yes.
New Statesman - Tory racism: crystal clear

It doesn't take much effort to scratch a little beneath the 'all embracing' surface.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:09   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
it's no surprise that Labour ministers like Chris Bryant jump on the chance to portray the party as not at all changed, all a bunch of homophobes.
Why single him out, as a particular opponent of inequality?

Just because he's gay doesn't make his opinion any less valid.

Most right-mined people, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or colour, find racism and homophobia unacceptable, irrespective of their own circumstances.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11   #12
God Member

Let's have a bit of balance. A quote from Matthew Sephton who is the Conservative who will be standing against Hazel Blears in Salford.

“As Ben Summerskill of Stonewall recently said, the Conservatives after the next general election are likely to have the biggest number of openly-LGBT MPs than any other party, and I’m proud to be selected to stand as one of many openly-LGBT candidates.

Gay Tory candidate selected to challenge Hazel Blears - from Pink News - all the latest gay news from the gay community - Pink News

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Let's have a bit of balance. A quote from Matthew Sephton who is the Conservative who will be standing against Hazel Blears in Salford.

“As Ben Summerskill of Stonewall recently said, the Conservatives after the next general election are likely to have the biggest number of openly-LGBT MPs than any other party, and I’m proud to be selected to stand as one of many openly-LGBT candidates.

Gay Tory candidate selected to challenge Hazel Blears - from Pink News - all the latest gay news from the gay community - Pink News
It's no secret the Tory-Lites are portraying themselves as the 'all embracing rainbow party', as I've pointed out many times on here, along with others.

The question is, despite what they'd have people believe, and evidenced by this latest story of blatant discrimination, have they really changed, or is it a thin veneer of pretence, in order to be more appealing to all sections of the electorate?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:22   #14
Give, give, give member

I'm just suprised they haven't yet had 'all hoodie' candidate lists, to appeal to an even wider strata of society.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:23   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
or is it a thin veneer of pretence, in orderto be more appealing to all sections of the electorate?
Of course it is. If labour can do it why can't the Conservatives?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..