Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2009, 15:10   #1
God Member

have we become to "sensitive"

the PC crowd is on a roll this morning , all the morning news shows are carrying an item about US President Obama comparing his bowling skills to 'something akin to the Special Olympics '
Obama apologizes for Special Olympics gaffe

an 'apology' was issued soon afterwards , and I'm sure more grovelling will follow , so my question is ........where are we supposed to draw the line ? , maybe the quip was in poor taste , but I'm sure most people have said /thought similar after making a similar gaffe.
Incidentally the 'event' happened on a TV program which airs after the late night news at 11.30 pm , so in the main the only people who watch it are the folks who don't have to get up for work, Jobseekers, retirees and disabled (or should that be the unemployed, pensioners and incapcitated)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2009, 15:31   #2
God Member

Re: have we become to "sensitive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
the PC crowd is on a roll this morning , all the morning news shows are carrying an item about US President Obama comparing his bowling skills to 'something akin to the Special Olympics '
Obama apologizes for Special Olympics gaffe

an 'apology' was issued soon afterwards , and I'm sure more grovelling will follow , so my question is ........where are we supposed to draw the line ? , maybe the quip was in poor taste , but I'm sure most people have said /thought similar after making a similar gaffe.
Incidentally the 'event' happened on a TV program which airs after the late night news at 11.30 pm , so in the main the only people who watch it are the folks who don't have to get up for work, Jobseekers, retirees and disabled (or should that be the unemployed, pensioners and incapcitated)
If you cant have a sese of humour and one that dosnt offend anyone then please tell me were to get a dose of it please? If the PC bandits are kicking up hell over this then every commedian is going to be unemployed. I believe there are people who with phone in hand wait for the first chance to stir it up and enjoy it. The way things are going the PC brigade will be more powerful than the tax man and enough power and influence to make all western govenments put together look like ametures (ok some are) and will bully them for there own ends. Time we caled in the pest controllers to deal with the P.C bandits.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 17:29   #3
Senior Member+

Perhaps he should have used Stevie Wonder as a more appropriate comparison...seeing he's a mate of his!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 17:38   #4
Beacon of light

I am going to tick the 'YES' box for this question.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 17:38   #5
God Member

PC becomes BS .... I suppose this means that we can't refer to GW as a "village idiot" for fear of offending village idiots.

But in answer to your question: I don't think "we" have become too sensitive; however, I do think that there are those in the media, and those who drag their soapboxes into the "media spotlight", are making large bucks by feigning shock at off hand comments of the rich and famous, or the powerful and famous.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 17:45   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
PC becomes BS .... I suppose this means that we can't refer to GW as a "village idiot" for fear of offending village idiots.

But in answer to your question: I don't think "we" have become too sensitive; however, I do think that there are those in the media, and those who drag their soapboxes into the "media spotlight", are making large bucks by feigning shock at off hand comments of the rich and famous, or the powerful and famous.
Yep, would agree with that, "Joe Public" hasn't become too Sensitive at all, we are however too frightened to open our mouths for fear of being castigated by hypocrits!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 18:46   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yep, would agree with that, "Joe Public" hasn't become too Sensitive at all, we are however too frightened to open our mouths for fear of being castigated by hypocrits!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Ive got this massive inferiority complex.

I keep thinking other people are as good as I am.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 18:53   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Ive got this massive inferiority complex.

I keep thinking other people are as good as I am.
Gobsmacked absolutely gobsmacked.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 20-03-2009, 19:00   #9
God Member

it all started going t1ts up when the spastic society changed its name to scope because kids were calling each other spaz's

did it stop it?

did it hell !

all they say now is scopey or spaz but i prefer the traditional spaz when somone cocks up which although more traditional is still used more than scopey

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 21:35   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

some people have become too sensitive,its down to the media, the P.C. prats, too name but 2 factions, all obama did to me,was to be "Human" n its those 2 factions that are the reason why he had to apologise. while i aint so i can tell em to get stuffed.
Old 21-03-2009, 00:43   #11
God Member

The "PC bandits" are whoevere..are really the editors of newspapers.. these people have no real issues to print and have create newsreels to sell papers..it will go on.. and as long as readers continue to believe this sort of stuff it will never end.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 00:48   #12
Loz

Personally i'm sick to the back teeth of all this P.C rubbish.
What happened to freedom of speech?
Old 21-03-2009, 04:19   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Personally i'm sick to the back teeth of all this P.C rubbish.
What happened to freedom of speech?
freedom of speech does not excist..not here or anywhere else.. it is an impossible dream that some people have..freedom of thought is always there and cannot be restricted.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 09:08   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Well in your example Eric you might well offend some village idiots
Old 21-03-2009, 11:47   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
freedom of speech does not excist..not here or anywhere else.. it is an impossible dream that some people have..freedom of thought is always there and cannot be restricted.
But how long will that last? The brain washing brigade (allies of the PC brigade) will see to that in the not too distant future.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..