Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2005, 08:25   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Have we diversified or just changed

I dont think there is anything wrong with this site. The postings may not be as serious as they once were, but that is down to some members leaving and new ones coming on site.Some people maybe just want a bit of fun, and not serious debates.I'm happy either way.
Old 30-01-2005, 08:44   #17
Senior Member+

Must say, I have found this forum very interesting since joining in Dec. would hate to see it changed, there's a wide range of topics, and it dos'nt get to heavy.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 09:04   #18
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
I dont think there is anything wrong with this site. The postings may not be as serious as they once were, but that is down to some members leaving and new ones coming on site.Some people maybe just want a bit of fun, and not serious debates.I'm happy either way.
Unfortunately at times when we have had serious debates some people who were in a minority took offence where none was intended and chose to leave. That's a shame. I enjoy a good discussion and at times when the other point of view has been put forward clearly it has sometimes influenced my opinion to the point of changing my views.

At other times I've stuck to my guns and had karma points deducted because of that but que sera, that's life.

Sadly, I think it is the fact that some people have found it difficult to cope with the fact that others don't share their opinion which has led to the avoidance in some cases of more serious discussions for fear of other people getting the hump and going off in a huff.

I enjoy the fun stuff and the serious stuff and I like a bit of both.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 11:32   #19
Senior Member+

Life is sometimes SERIOUS sometimes SAD sometimes SILLY sometimes CONFUSING.... That is why this site is almost PERFECT
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 13:18   #20
Beacon of light

You have hit the nail on the head there Simon......it is perfect, and the community spirit is a joy.

And Busman..... about giving PB the 'Boot'......reminds me of a Russian Proverb = The noblest of kings and the poorest of beggars are eventually put to bed with a shovel.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 05:55   #21

Sorry to one and all that I've been somewhat absent for the last few weeks. We are in the process of moving and with work taking 10-12 hours a day, I haven't had much time.

Well, where do I start....I only asked the question to see if anybody had noticed that we have had an influx of new and probably much younger members in the last 4-6 months.

As for being an "older person"....its not the attitude but the experience that counts (in life I mean). There have been a few threads that appeared to me to be a bit juvenile, but we also need and must welcome younger members. It must be that I've seen so many before (not just on this site) that we seem to be posting just for postings sake.

OK there's no need to get involved in a thread if it's not to your liking. And we do have some cracking threads.

As for Accy specific things....I am all for more about Accy....I woz brung up there, and living so far away it's important for me not to loose contact with Accy and learn what's happening and how people are reacting to everyday life.

I think Simon hit it on the head with his short statement. We are all of those things and more....that's why we continue to grow in stature.

As most of us know...there has been some argy-bargy...and a few have gone off in a huff (no names). But I personally feel we have some good sensible discussions (I won't call them arguements), and have agreed to disagree on many occasions.

So going back to my original statement and open question, it seems that most are very happy on this site, not only with the threads, but with the attitudes of our fellow members. I certainly have no axe to grind, and I just wanted to know how the rest of you all thought regarding the direction we are going in.

Thank you for your replies..and I'll shut mi gob now!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 06:58   #22
Resident Waffler

I think the fact that we are posting so much as we do and joining in on a variety of topics actually answers the question for itself.

If we weren't happy with the board and its "direction" we wouldn't be here and it would die a death. I've seen that happen to once active sites and its sad to see them fold. This one is so lively and full of such a mixture.

I hope the younger members don't mind that I ignore some of their threads but some of them obviously don't concern me (such as starting a band) but its good to see that they get response from the relevant people.

I do post a lot but that's usually because I've got something to waffle about however trivial it may seem. I'd rather reply to someone even if what I have to say isn't earth shattering than let someone feel ignored. I used to moderate on another message board and new members sometimes said how they felt unwelcome when a new thread they started didn't get much response. The older (in membership as opposed to age) members were sometimes accused of being "cliquey". I don't think that's the case here and I hope "newbies" don't feel that.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 31-01-2005 at 07:00.
Old 31-01-2005, 07:12   #23
mez
God Member

i totally agree with you both, as it says its our forum to enjoy, so some of us dont agree or loose posts or whatever its still about what WE the members feel or think at the time of postings, some i dont reply to as ( &to be honest, a bit over my head) but i love to read all the postings. keep posting people i luvs you all.
Old 31-01-2005, 10:08   #24
Senior Member+

One of my first posts on this forum was whether it was OK for me to be here - I have never been to Accrington and have no emotional ties with the place, but I do enjoy the discussions on here.

Just because people don't share common ground in terms of where you live or which team you support (and I don't just mean football) doesn't necessarily mean that you can't have a good chin wag with them. I joined a Ferrari-lovers website, and let it slip that I didn't like Schumacher, only for one of the mods to start addressing me by my name and telling me that he didn't see how I could bring anything to the forum. He was baiting me, but I refused to rise, which was probably not what he was expecting.

The thing is, one of my best friends is a Schumacher fan!

I hope I bring something to the forum, even though I am from 'down south'!

If not, let me know and I'll bow out gracefully!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 10:22   #25
God Member

I propose that we make Vorlon24 an Honorary Accringtonian. All those in favour please signify in the usual manner.
Old 31-01-2005, 12:29   #26
Resident Waffler

o/................

Old 31-01-2005, 12:38   #27
Senior Member+

Yep, i agree.
Old 31-01-2005, 13:04   #28

round of applause for vorlon. Well said : )
Old 31-01-2005, 13:19   #29
God Member

Well, that's settled then.

In my capacity as Chairman of the Doug and Sandra Hayes Fan Club, it gives me the very greatest pleasure to welcome Vorlon24 into the company of the blessed as an Honorary Son of Accrington. Congratulations mate!
Old 31-01-2005, 13:25   #30
Beacon of light

Darby..... I don't think you should shut your gob, this post has generated a lot of discussion.......isn't that what Accywebbers are good at? And Willow one of the things I like about this site is......no cliques, and everyone gets a warm welcome and a hearing. There are many of the forums that i do not participate in...... purely because I do not follow that interest (such as football) but because of the diversity of the forums I feel that there is something for everyone.
A-B, what a cracking idea to make Vorlon an honorary Accringtonian......I'll drink to that! Cheers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..